49ers Select Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame #9 Overall

y2lamanaki

12 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

From the very first day of signing Jimmy to his contract I said one of our priorities should be protecting him. Yes, his release is as fast as I've ever seen. Still, he got hit a lot in his few games last year. Far too many times to think he'll last a decade or more without injury if he gets hit that hard, that often. Sure everyone wants an OT that can be great at both. But if I'm having to choose between a guy that is better as a pass blocker or better as a run blocker I'll take the former. I know that in any given game we need to be able to run. But it won't make one bit of difference if our franchise QB is injured and watching from the sideline. That's one of the reasons I keep calling Brown one of the best RTs in the game. I don't think his run blocking is as bad as most here do, but it sounds like everyone is in agreement his pass blocking is elite. Maybe McG is so good I won't have to choose between those two skills. But if his pass blocking is not good then I'm going to be greatly disappointed.

To be fair we had Beadles as our RT when Jimmy was playing and everything is better than that. I think its more of the question if you want a guy that is 1st in pass pro and 20th in the run or a guy that is 10th in both(not saying McGlinchey is that right now but he has the skills to be at least that). Besides that i feel your playbook is way more limited when you have a guy that really can't do the things you want him to do in the run game than having a guy that is a slightly less pass blocker. 

9. San Francisco 49ers

Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame

Why they did it: This pick is as much about 2019 and beyond as it is about the immediate future. Right tackle Trent Brown is coming off a shoulder injury and will be a free agent after the 2018 season, and left tackle Joe Staley will be 34 in August. Protecting quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo is a priority, and the Niners landed the tackle they believe is the best in this draft. McGlinchey also could contribute at guard right away if Brown doesn’t return to full strength or is traded.

Biggest question: Can McGlinchey succeed as a left tackle? Some evaluators believe he’s best suited on the right side because he’s not a dominant athlete. But it’s hard to imagine the Niners would have selected him here if they didn’t envision him eventually replacing Staley on the left side. Coach Kyle Shanahan’s system will undoubtedly put him to the test. -- Nick Wagoner

Matt Miller's scouting report on McGlinchey compares him to Jack Conklin. It says that he is a gifted pass blocker, but I've heard elsewhere that he is better in run blocking. From reading Matt's scouting report, listening to Lynch and Shannahan talk about him, and watching some highlights, I'm more excited about picking him.

It feels like it was a reach, but it seems like other teams wanted him and the Niners felt he was going to elevate our offense more than other tackles. It also helps that he's from Notre Dame, which is churning out the best OL prospects in recent years and he was a 4-year contributor on a team with guys like both Martins, Ronnie Stanley, and Nelson. I'm really feeling like we got an elite tackle that can start at RT from day one and be a quality starting tackle for the next 5-10 years.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Matt Miller is a HUGE SF homer and basically was going to give us an A regardless of the pick. Don't take what he says about our picks seriously. 

This was from before the niners picked him. It was from his 400 big board list that he did in early April.

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Miller had McGlinchey ranked 22nd on his big board yet gave us an A for the pick....This was before the Brown trade. 

Still wouldn't be the guy I rely on....But since you used information BEFORE the draft then fair. 

22 seems about right for where most people had McGlinchey ranked. I still see him as a reach at 9. If the Raiders didn't also want him, then I think we could've traded down with the Cardinals and still got our guy at 15. The Raiders essentially put us in a situation where it was do or die for the niners. Despite still thinking it was a reach if in 3 years McGlinchey consistently ranks as a top 15 tackle in the NFL, then I would say the 9th pick was worth it. 

People around the league always say "If he's your guy, then you take him, you don't mess around." This is one of those situations. 

What the hell is everyone's definition of a reach? The team directly behind us was going to take him if we didn't and the Ravens were said to be wanting him and ended up trading back because he was gone. 

We took him at the last possible draft slot we could have. If anything he would be considered a steal by definition.

2 minutes ago, Uncle_Rico said:

What the hell is everyone's definition of a reach? The team directly behind us was going to take him if we didn't and the Ravens were said to be wanting him and ended up trading back because he was gone. 

We took him at the last possible draft slot we could have. If anything he would be considered a steal by definition.

I'm considering him a reach at where he was rated to go by almost everyone. If the Raiders weren't interested, he probably would've fallen to the late teens early 20's, which is where I felt comfortable with him. 

4 minutes ago, Uncle_Rico said:

Quite simple for me. I viewed him as a late first round pick, mid 20's type prospect. There were still guys on the board for me who were in my top 8. That's a reach. Don't care what another team thought of him; completely inconsequential to how I view him as a prospect. I view this as a pretty substantial reach that lacks value - and when I say lacks value, it needs to be kept in context. Obviously, offensive line hugely important, tremendously valueable etc. I'm talking the pick / prospect / slot. If it's between me reaching for a player I don't feel is worth the slot, and letting another team fall on that grenade right after and going in another direction knowing I'm not going to get that player, then I wish that player and that team the best, I'll take my shopping elsewhere. 

3 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I'm considering him a reach at where he was rated to go by almost everyone. If the Raiders weren't interested, he probably would've fallen to the late teens early 20's, which is where I felt comfortable with him. 

That's exactly my point. You were wrong about where everyone else had him rated. The online community was lower on him than the NFL community, there was quite a discrepency. Raiders were locked in on him at 10 and the Ravens at 16. Mayock, who is probably the pulse of where teams have prospects rated, had him at 8. 

Just wanted to add on the pass blocking vs run blocking thing, pass blocking the rusher can still get by if there's no one open. but when you can run down a defense's throat, it tires them out and the QB usually wears a clean jersey. those elite pass rushers will have to set the edge, or tackle the RB instead of going after the QB. Having good run blocking helps the passer stay upright too in a way

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Quite simple for me. I viewed him as a late first round pick, mid 20's type prospect. There were still guys on the board for me who were in my top 8. That's a reach. Don't care what another team thought of him; completely inconsequential to how I view him as a prospect. I view this as a pretty substantial reach that lacks value. 

That makes more sense to me. It was a reach according to your board. Fair enough.

But in regards to real value, not based on our individual boards, the Niners did an exceptional job. Value in the draft is positioning yourself to get the best player on your board at the last possible spot. Exactly what the Niners did. 

With all of this being said I like the McGlinchey pick fine but I would have gone a different way. As far as the poker aspect of the draft, guaging other teams' interest and making sure you're in a position to still get your guy, I think the Niners nailed it. Even if that isn't the guy I would have taken.

I'm more pissed we didn't trade back with the Saints and pick up an extra 1st than I am with us drafting McGlinchey. But maybe the Saints didn't offer it to us.

10 minutes ago, Uncle_Rico said:

That's exactly my point. You were wrong about where everyone else had him rated. The online community was lower on him than the NFL community, there was quite a discrepency. Raiders were locked in on him at 10 and the Ravens at 16. Mayock, who is probably the pulse of where teams have prospects rated, had him at 8. 

The bolded is my point. If it weren't for the Raiders, we could've traded down with Cardinals and still pick McGlinchey ahead of the Ravens. I rated him as a middle to late first. Picking him at 15 is at the top of where I thought he'd go. Because the raiders forced our hand, we needed to take the guy we wanted earlier than where he should've gone. My point is, we could've had the guy we wanted and traded down for extra picks if it weren't for one team. There weren't multiple teams chomping at the bit to take him in the top 10, McGlinchey didn't "fall" to us. We took him higher than expected because of one team. 

At the end of the day, the niners got the guy they wanted.

Archived