1st Round Pick (18th Overall): Jaire Alexander [CB; Louisville]

CWood21

11 hours ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

Isn't there usually a phone interview with the draftee shortly after the pick? I was interested in hearing that.  I did watch the two interviews with Sullivan about the pick.

Did Prime on the NFLN talk to him after he was picked?  I went back to baseball afterwards...

Green Bay Packers: Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville B- Grade 
If Jaire Alexander can stay healthy, the Packers will be getting a terrific cornerback for their maligned secondary. The problem, however, is his durability. Some teams thought Alexander could slip to the second round because of all his injury issues. In fact, I think Alexander could have been available at No. 27, so I'm not thrilled about the Packers surrendering a third-round pick to get him. That said, Green Bay acquired a 2019 first-rounder in the entire process, so I'm not going to give them a bad grade. Again, if they luck out with Alexander's health, they will have made a huge upgrade to the defensive backfield. 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades1.php#ixzz5Dsy9K7lk

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades1.php#Eq8mMVQUjwBZe4h0.99

17 minutes ago, cannondale said:

If you don't want to believe me, ask Ron Wolf or Ted Thompson. That first next year is devalued one full round, which makes it a late second, and we have to wait a year to use it. New Orleans gets a full year out of Davenport. I don't care if you agree, just have a basic knowledge of how it works is all

Oh I know the trade value chart.  If you want to go that way, do you understand that even a 2nd round value is higher then a 3rd?  You talk about pro bowlers in the 3rd round like 2017 is the norm.  Want to know how many Pro Bowlers were drafted in the 3rd in 2016?  Zero.  Maybe one got there as a sub, but no one got there because they were the best.  I don't care if you agree with me, but please have a basic knowledge of the draft before you try and argue that you're smarter then 90% of the people that cover the NFL for a living.

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

It's funny how the tides turned for a moment there.  I got relentless grief for being upset about our free agency period and trading of Randall (all the while assuring people I'd be fine as long as we improved in the CB group).  We trade down four spots, get our corner, pick up a first round pick next year and I'm the one praising the move. 

Like I said as soon as Thompson was gone, I wanted to see what he did in the draft and during the regular season.  He has already passed for me in the draft.  He is going to be the same in free agency, but since he's this aggressive and willing to move in the draft, I think he's gonna be a damn good one. 

And Jaire Alexander is what we needed on our defense.  He's fast, he has ball skills, and he has a mouth.  That's literally all I've wanted out of a corner for so, so long.  Randall was the closest we had to that, which made me really mad when we got rid of him.  Now we've got a younger and probably better one. 

B minus offseason so far.  I say minus only because we didn't get satisfying returns on losing Randall and Nelson. 

This offseason can quickly turn into a B plus or even A minus or A if we somehow manage to get a top pass rusher at 45, then move back up to get an athletic receiver in round three, followed by some offensive line help in the 4-7 range.  Alternatively, we could re-sign Evans and go straight BPA 4-7. 

I was checking out the Packers' website last night after the pick and there are photos of our War Room and there was Ted sitting at a table with other scouts.  I wonder what it was like for him to not be the main guy now...?

8 minutes ago, dafreak said:

Green Bay Packers: Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville B- Grade 
If Jaire Alexander can stay healthy, the Packers will be getting a terrific cornerback for their maligned secondary. The problem, however, is his durability. Some teams thought Alexander could slip to the second round because of all his injury issues. In fact, I think Alexander could have been available at No. 27, so I'm not thrilled about the Packers surrendering a third-round pick to get him. That said, Green Bay acquired a 2019 first-rounder in the entire process, so I'm not going to give them a bad grade. Again, if they luck out with Alexander's health, they will have made a huge upgrade to the defensive backfield. 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades1.php#ixzz5Dsy9K7lk

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades1.php#Eq8mMVQUjwBZe4h0.99

Whatever Walter football says just believe the opposite. 

15 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I was checking out the Packers' website last night after the pick and there are photos of our War Room and there was Ted sitting at a table with other scouts.  I wonder what it was like for him to not be the main guy now...?

I'd bet it's a little weird.  How can it not be?  He ran the show for so long.  However, I don't there's any negative awkwardness about it.  TT doesn't have to be the center of attention and he's able to scout players and give his opinion.  Seems like a great fit for him, tbh.

28 minutes ago, Bleed G&G said:

Oh I know the trade value chart.  If you want to go that way, do you understand that even a 2nd round value is higher then a 3rd?  You talk about pro bowlers in the 3rd round like 2017 is the norm.  Want to know how many Pro Bowlers were drafted in the 3rd in 2016?  Zero.  Maybe one got there as a sub, but no one got there because they were the best.  I don't care if you agree with me, but please have a basic knowledge of the draft before you try and argue that you're smarter then 90% of the people that cover the NFL for a living.

I have never mentioned Pro Bowlers in the 3rd, or any other round. I've never used the words blue chip either. Did you just make that up ? I'm talking about starters. I'm also talking about CM3, Cobb, Wilkerson, House, possibly Tramon, HHCD and others being on their last year of their contract

5 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I have never mentioned Pro Bowlers in the 3rd, or any other round. I've never used the words blue chip either. I'm talking about starters. I'm also talking about CM3, Cobb, Wilkerson, House, possibly Tramon, HHCD and others being on their last year of their contract

Cannon I owe you an apology, it was SSG who was talking about the Pro Bowlers in the 3rd.  Sorry for the mix up! 

Archived