49ers Select Dante Pettis, WR, Washington#44 Overall

y2lamanaki

Something tells me Pettis will have a good chance of making the roster lol........Robinson certainly looks like the odd man out, but does James make the team or will he be put on the PS?

I want to see what happens if Pettis lights it up in camp and Garcon is a bit slow out of the gates. Does Pettis get the edge over him or does Shanny still stick with the wily veteran? 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Something tells me Pettis will have a good chance of making the roster lol........Robinson certainly looks like the odd man out, but does James make the team or will he be put on the PS?

I want to see what happens if Pettis lights it up in camp and Garcon is a bit slow out of the gates. Does Pettis get the edge over him or does Shanny still stick with the wily veteran? 

I think James ends up on the PS. Don't see him providing anything on special teams to warrant a roster spot, and he's going to be hard pressed to beat out Taylor for that slot position in my opinion. We could say that he could knock one of the others off, but even going up against Bourne, I think that's a lot to ask right off the bat, especially since Bourne has some okay looks in the NFL already. Not impossible, but I Think it's certainly a bigger uphill battle. 

2 hours ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

Pettis will get a chance early to show that he can separate against NFL corners, but he will have to produce if he wants reps this year. Plenty of competition at receiver.

Which is why I felt that giving up a low second and a high third was somewhat... Unnecessary for a WR this year. I see the potential in what he offers in this offense, so I think it will end up being a good pick. He will be very dangerous on double moves and on play action, which are big parts of the system. 

58 minutes ago, N4L said:

Which is why I felt that giving up a low second and a high third was somewhat... Unnecessary for a WR this year. I see the potential in what he offers in this offense, so I think it will end up being a good pick. He will be very dangerous on double moves and on play action, which are big parts of the system. 

If the player is good, it's a good pick. No one remembers what the 49ers traded to move up for Bryant Young or J.J. Stokes. Those moves are judged by the players they yielded, not by the trades that acquired the picks.

I disagree that value doesn't matter. There is a good chance he would have been available at #59, but Shanahan just doesn't want to risk it with "his guys." Lets see how Williams/Beathard/Pettis pan out, because that was ALL Shanahan. The Beathard trade was so freaking bad, and then he just had to trade up for Williams as well. 

Now, maybe Pettis would have been gone by #59 so we had no choice but to go up and get him. If that isn't the case, we just gave up a fairly valuable #74 pick for no reason. 

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I disagree that value doesn't matter. There is a good chance he would have been available at #59, but Shanahan just doesn't want to risk it with "his guys." Lets see how Williams/Beathard/Pettis pan out, because that was ALL Shanahan. The Beathard trade was so freaking bad, and then he just had to trade up for Williams as well. 

Now, maybe Pettis would have been gone by #59 so we had no choice but to go up and get him. If that isn't the case, we just gave up a fairly valuable #74 pick for no reason. 

Beathard, simply by virtue of playing for 4 seasons on a rookie deal and being not an absolute trash fire, is pretty good value as a backup QB. He also saved Jimmy from being thrown in too soon. We should thank beat hard for his service.

Just now, N4L said:

We traded a 6th or a 7th to move up for CJ so I don't think it was a terrible trade up. 

Value is important when you have a finite amount of resources

And what was the reason for the trade up? Was anyone going to draft him before our next pick? Again, we will see how it works out, but three times we have traded up to get his guy. Good chance all three could have been had by staying put. 

1 hour ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

If the player is good, it's a good pick. No one remembers what the 49ers traded to move up for Bryant Young or J.J. Stokes. Those moves are judged by the players they yielded, not by the trades that acquired the picks.

I remember exactly what the 49ers gave up in the Stokes trade. It's hard to forget when one of the most important picks became Ray Lewis.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

And what was the reason for the trade up? Was anyone going to draft him before our next pick? Again, we will see how it works out, but three times we have traded up to get his guy. Good chance all three could have been had by staying put. 

I remember at the press conference they said that whoever we traded with was desperate to move down and that "there was no way they (the other team) were going to take anyone there" so "why not move up and get the only quarterback in the draft that Kyle liked".

It didn't seem like terrible value at the time to move from the 4th to the 3rd, but thinking back it must have been the 2nd pick in the fourth lol 

On 4/30/2018 at 1:48 PM, big9erfan said:

I couldn't find one for combine or pro day.  Maybe he doesn't have one.

So, apparently he did have a pro day. Here you go:

40: 4.47-4.49

VJ: 36"

BJ: 10'5"

BP: 11

3C: 6.87 (not confirmed)

https://twitter.com/pacificscouting/status/980969935655469056

Looking at the comments, without vouching for their value, looks like people talking about him having scored better in the past, particularly on vertical jump, where they said he had a 41" vert on record. That's quite a jump...not sure I saw that sort of leaping on tape, but I did see a guy who can go up and get the ball. Take it for what it's worth.

I think he plays a bit faster than timed. When watching, it seems as though many don't realize just how fast he is. His motion is smooth and deceptive. Like I said many times before, Dante was my favorite WR in this draft. So excited to see him play, though it may be later rather than sooner. He has at least 3 or 4 veterans of this system ahead of him (Garcon, Taylor, Goodwin, Bourne). I do want him to make Aldrick Robinson expendable. 

17 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Just out of curiosity, what is thinking like this based on? Not singling you out just curious why people are confident in things like this. Is it mostly based on mock drafts?

Considering the run of WRs hadn't started yet and just the general ranking of Pettis from most folks in the know. Guys like Mayock/Jeremiah don't just rank off what they see, but they also hear. This is why they will have someone ranked one way for the entire process, and a few days leading up to the draft completely change their rankings. Now, are there some surprises every year? Of course, but it is also clear to see Shanahan doesn't want to risk losing his guy so he would rather give up some picks to erase that doubt. 

In that trade we did end up with a 5th rounder that ended up being my favorite pick of the draft in DJ Reed, so all wasn't lost in that trade up. 

Archived