49ers Select Dante Pettis, WR, Washington#44 Overall

y2lamanaki

15 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

He's really skinny. Especially in the arms. Hope his strength won't be a problem. 

I said that elsewhere.  Watchin him play I though he was in the 175 -180 range. Still 185 is pretty light for a 6'1" guy.

13 hours ago, Gridirongreat#9 said:

Not a fan with Kirk still on the board. 

I like Pettis a lot. But Kirk was one of my draft crushes. I never thought we'd be in a position to take him. I realize we believe Pettis will play on the outside but it remains to be seem if we will succeed there. Not sure how Kirk would do lining up on the inside. But I thing he's going to be a terror as a slot guy, Big, strong, fast, fantastic hands andlittle nickel corners are going to have a heck of a time tackling him. He's money once he gets the ball in his hands.

1 hour ago, big9erfan said:

I like Pettis a lot. But Kirk was one of my draft crushes. I never thought we'd be in a position to take him. I realize we believe Pettis will play on the outside but it remains to be seem if we will succeed there. Not sure how Kirk would do lining up on the inside. But I thing he's going to be a terror as a slot guy, Big, strong, fast, fantastic hands andlittle nickel corners are going to have a heck of a time tackling him. He's money once he gets the ball in his hands.

Yea I hadn't even realized Kirk was still on the board, I was so caught up in us taking him over Chark. Pettis will really have to prove his worth because ppl will scrutinized choosing him over both Chark and Kirk. Especially if he starts out slowly and either of those guys hit the ground running as pros.

The way I see it, if the scouts and the staff think he could be special, I'm okay with it. I don't care that WR wasn't our biggest need. Going into the draft looking to fix needs is a recipe for disaster. You end up trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. And you shouldn't draft for depth either, because depth is cheap. You can sign it in free agency. Heck, you might even find it on another team's practice squad. Depth is not really something I'm looking to fix in the draft, or at least, not early on. The draft is where you go and try to find players who could be special. You can't really find these special guys in free agency. Either they're re-signed by their teams, or they're past their prime. The draft is the only way to find special talents, and you happen to be able to control their salary for several years. That kind of players can make a huge difference when you're trying to build a contender. Hitting on talented players in the draft allows you to spend more money in free agency to fix your needs. So I don't mind if Lynch and co are swinging for the fence. Yes, that means he'll strike out, but it also means you'll get hits. A homerun here and there, but also, when you swing for the fence, you also end up with singles, doubles and triples. 

Pettis could be special. He has a certain understanding about his route-running that could turn out to be really special. If that's what our staff saw and they believe in the kid, then I can only hope they're right. If he's a homerun, then we have the #1 WR we haven't had in forever. But he could also be a triple, double or single. 

I don't really see 4.3 when I watch him, but he's very quick which is more important IMO. He does have the ability to take it to the house more so than a guy like Taylor would. 

But did he not run a 40 even at his pro day? 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't really see 4.3 when I watch him, but he's very quick which is more important IMO. He does have the ability to take it to the house more so than a guy like Taylor would. 

No, he didn't. Assume he was still recovering

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

No, he didn't. Assume he was still recovering

see that's yet another issue i have with WRs like him, His frame is so slight that he reminds me of Will Fuller from the Texans, could barely stay on the field because of injury 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't see a 4.3 either, but I do see a guy who changes gears and varies his speed well. It's tough to get a measure of his acceleration on film because he's rarely moving in a straight line, but he's not getting caught from behind, either.

Just now, Ronnie's Pinky said:

I don't see a 4.3 either, but I do see a guy who changes gears and varies his speed well. It's tough to get a measure of his acceleration on film because he's rarely moving in a straight line, but he's not getting caught from behind, either.

That's what I mean he has the ability to take it to the house unlike Taylor. He's not going to get caught behind. Jerry Rice didn't run a fast 40, but he was hardly ever caught from behind, same with Terrell Owens. 

Bourne flashed towards the end of the season with Garoppolo, but his job just got a whole a lot harder. 

18 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That's what I mean he has the ability to take it to the house unlike Taylor. He's not going to get caught behind. Jerry Rice didn't run a fast 40, but he was hardly ever caught from behind, same with Terrell Owens. 

Bourne flashed towards the end of the season with Garoppolo, but his job just got a whole a lot harder. 

Just happy that this means Robinson is probably a lock to be gone. I don't see any reasoning to keep Aldrick over Bourne (assuming of course, Pettis is a lock to make the roster). Similar to the Beadles v Mags roster spot - there's no reason to keep the vets. They both lack the potential of the two UDFAs from last year, their actual play is probably not much better (if better at all), and they are more expensive. 

Archived