49ers Select Dante Pettis, WR, Washington#44 Overall

y2lamanaki

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I mean, I never thought we were a playoff contender...but I have to admit that this strategy does beg more toward a long term play. I still don't know what we are doing on defense, but I suppose it's unimportant. 

Yeah to me it's all about making a push starting next season, not this season. Build the team up for then, and any success this season is gravy. Interesting strategy to leave all the work the defense needs until next offseason, for sure though

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Garcon to me is out for sure in 2019. But lets see how he comes back from his injury.

But even if we took a corner, that player may not have started next year. 

A corner 100% wouldn't have started this year unless we drafted a slot corner but then still he has to beat out Ward and Williams.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Garcon to me is out for sure in 2019. But lets see how he comes back from his injury.

But even if we took a corner, that player may not have started next year. 

Agreed. I Perhaps Pettis shocks me and makes a major impact next year in the receiving game, but I'd be surprised. I feel like he's basically going to have a 2 year apprenticeship under Garcon. 

So, Pettis was one of "my guys" going into this draft, and I think he will be an excellent player for the 49ers. Pettis isn't the most explosive athlete, but he's pretty tall, knows how to high point the ball, and he has a great "feel" for the game, for how to run routes, make cuts, and generally manipulate defenders into going in the wrong direction. I think Kyle has the right idea with this kind of receiver in his specific offense, and with a QB with such a lightning release. I don't know if Pettis would be so great on another team, but I think he will be terrific here, and will remind people a bit of John Taylor (though I doubt he'll ever be as tough as Taylor was...loved that guy).

Give him a little time. WRs are almost never great right out of the box, but I think Pettis can contribute early because of his feel for the game and his experience with a full route tree. I think he'll be quite productive. I guess in a few years, I'll either look clever or dumb. I'll take my chances with Pettis.

33 minutes ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

So, Pettis was one of "my guys" going into this draft, and I think he will be an excellent player for the 49ers. Pettis isn't the most explosive athlete, but he's pretty tall, knows how to high point the ball, and he has a great "feel" for the game, for how to run routes, make cuts, and generally manipulate defenders into going in the wrong direction. I think Kyle has the right idea with this kind of receiver in his specific offense, and with a QB with such a lightning release. I don't know if Pettis would be so great on another team, but I think he will be terrific here, and will remind people a bit of John Taylor (though I doubt he'll ever be as tough as Taylor was...loved that guy).

Give him a little time. WRs are almost never great right out of the box, but I think Pettis can contribute early because of his feel for the game and his experience with a full route tree. I think he'll be quite productive. I guess in a few years, I'll either look clever or dumb. I'll take my chances with Pettis.

I'll trade Taylor's toughness for a lack of fumbles. I'll never forgive him for a couple of the fumbles, just like I can't ever not love him for the touchdown catch, or the two 90 yard receptions against the Rams on MNF. 

Pettis will be a nice player, but I didn't like the trade up. #74 is a potential starter we gave up to go get this guy. Would have rather traded #95 and not gotten anything back from the skins. 

Look at the list of guys drafted right after him but before where we were originally slotted:

Christian Kirk

Uchenna Nwosu

Dallas Goedert

Anthony Miller

Kemko Turay

Isaiah Oliver

DJ Chark

I mean shoot, that's three WRs taken. So maybe they felt the run of WRs coming and decided to get the one they liked best. It doesn't feel like any of the teams that drafted WRs would have taken Pettis over the guy they actually ended up taking. I agree with @Forge we have tunnel vision for the guys we like.

I ask this question because I generally don't know.. how involved has Kyle been with personnel decisions at previous jobs? I am starting to question his ability to judge and acquire talent. No one doubts how he uses that talent, so maybe some of the normal issues teams have that have talent acquisition problems will be avoided because we will develop/utilize the talent we have BUT it is an interesting question. I know he gets credited for drafting Cousins, so maybe he has always been hands on. I really don't know. 

WHO IS GOING TO RUSH THE PASSER?

2 minutes ago, N4L said:

Pettis will be a nice player, but I didn't like the trade up. #74 is a potential starter we gave up to go get this guy. Would have rather traded #95 and not gotten anything back from the skins. 

Look at the list of guys drafted right after him but before where we were originally slotted:

Christian Kirk

Uchenna Nwosu

Dallas Goedert

Anthony Miller

Kemko Turay

Isaiah Oliver

DJ Chark

I mean shoot, that's three WRs taken. So maybe they felt the run of WRs coming and decided to get the one they liked best. It doesn't feel like any of the teams that drafted WRs would have taken Pettis over the guy they actually ended up taking. I agree with @Forge we have tunnel vision for the guys we like.

I ask this question because I generally don't know.. how involved has Kyle been with personnel decisions at previous jobs? I am starting to question his ability to judge and acquire talent. No one doubts how he uses that talent, so maybe some of the normal issues teams have that have talent acquisition problems will be avoided because we will develop/utilize the talent we have BUT it is an interesting question. I know he gets credited for drafting Cousins, so maybe he has always been hands on. I really don't know. 

WHO IS GOING TO RUSH THE PASSER?

kyle did hit on trent and kittle last year, i think we have to give it a chance and then judge in a few years 

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

kyle did hit on trent and kittle last year, i think we have to give it a chance and then judge in a few years 

No doubt. One of the points I was making is that he will utilize guys correctly, so even if we don't get good 'value' we will still get good production, which will mask/eliminate the lack of perceived 'value' of the pick. That ultimately is nitpicking though.

GO NINERS

Taylor Gabriel was a Shanahan guy too. Besides that from the rumors he really banged the table for the Falcons to sign Mack. I think Shanahan from the Redskins forward has always had some influence(as far as a OC has influence). He is a guy that knows what he wants and how he can use it. For the big signing that means we tend to overpay or overdraft guys but at the same time it means we can get some guys in the last rounds that can contribute.

Besides that in the draft the perceived value of a pick is the least important thing to me. If you see a guy you think can be a solid contributor to your squad it really doesn't matter if you draft him in the first or in the 5th. Obviously you prefer to draft them as late as possible but in the end in a year of 3 almost everybody will have forgotten where you picked the guy and it is all about how he performed.

Archived