Bears Pick Joel Iyiegbuniwe in the 5th

Sugashane

1*JbuW7GSt1VVVkZ9ZqI0qNw.jpeg

Iyiegbuniwe (pronounced ee-yay-boo-nee-way)

Overview
Iyegbuniwe put together a very strong campaign this season, but some of those numbers don't look translatable on the next level without a lot more work. His speed and athletic ability in coverage are big pluses in his favor. His NFL role may have to be as a backup weak-side linebacker with some cover talent who can become a top special teams worker.
Strengths
  • Rangy, athletic frame
  • Plays with good speed in pursuit
  • Shows early burst in his scrapes to play past climbing blockers
  • Actively searches to strip the football and create opportunities to flip the momentum
  • Finished 2017 with three forced fumbles
  • Very smooth in his backpedal and when driving into space
  • Has athletic ability to warrant consideration as a cover linebacker in subpackages
  • Special teams talent to cover
  • Finished career with 11 tackles on special teams

Not sure about this pick with the talent that was available. We have DT, Smith, Kwiatkoski ahead of him, so do the Bears see a future Brendon Ayanbadejo? Or do they feel this will be a steal of the draft?

More importantly, why is Ayanbadejo the easier name to pronounce between the two?!?!

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

In fairness to Walterfootball they had him as a 3rd round pick.

I'm just not sure where he fits on the Bears, unless we just want him on special teams.  He seems too small for OLB, and I would think we'd want to play a larger ILB next to Roquan.

Is it possible we see him as a "heavy nickel" since he was a former safety?

2 minutes ago, bkokot said:

I'm just not sure where he fits on the Bears, unless we just want him on special teams.  He seems too small for OLB, and I would think we'd want to play a larger ILB next to Roquan.

Is it possible we see him as a "heavy nickel" since he was a former safety?

I think we could easily play both inside in base in 2019...he needs another 5-10lbs of muscle and strength but he can be a starter...it's where the NFL is going.

Does this mean the Bears didn't like their ILB play last year. I don't understand this pick. This means Timu might be done. Wow i thought they needed an edge rusher and a big DL for depth.

3 minutes ago, TB 1 said:

Does this mean the Bears didn't like their ILB play last year. I don't understand this pick. This means Timu might be done. Wow i thought they needed an edge rusher and a big DL for depth.

I think they saw the drop off between when DT59 played and when he didn't...such an important spot for Fangio.

2 minutes ago, TB 1 said:

I guess they’re counting on big progress from Bullard and RRH & a healthy year from Floyd

13 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I guess they’re counting on big progress from Bullard and RRH & a healthy year from Floyd

That is o.k. if Bullard starts but the Bears only have 4 NFL D-lineman. They need another one who is big. They play both Hicks and Goldman to many snaps.

18 minutes ago, TB 1 said:

No Timu? Might as well chalk up a 2-14 season now

Archived