7th Round Pick (248th Overall): Kendall Donnerson [EDGE; Missouri State]

Packerraymond

1 minute ago, NormSizedMidget said:

We're your late 5 and later, I don't think you shoot for one bigger need over other ones. That's my philosophy. They realize edge is more important obviously but they aren't just gonna draft one to just do it

I agree but wanted it addressed early and often. 

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

That would seem to make the case to stay put at 14 and take Davenport. Time will tell if we made good trades or bad ones. Love the secondary now, but nobody can cover all day. I also think the rush we get from Daniels, Clark and Wilkerson would be scary good. Which could negate the need SOMEWHAT. 

Add Clay and Perry to the pass rush mix and we might be okay for now.

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I feel like we addressed the edge situation by acquiring an extra 1st round pick in what looks to potentially be a historic edge class.

In other words we put it off for next year and hope we can get by with what we have behind Perry (often injured) and Matthews (often injured and not the same rusher). 

1 minute ago, Pugger said:

Add Clay and Perry to the pass rush mix and we might be okay for now.

Oh, I haven't forgotten about them. If Perry stays healthy, big if, he's going to put up monster numbers. I'm not sure Clay is close to the same kind of pass rusher anymore. He still could get 10 with the interior guys demanding so much attention however. He and Wilkerson could run some nasty stunts. 

Just now, Golfman said:

In other words we put it off for next year and hope we can get by with what we have behind Perry (often injured) and Matthews (often injured and not the same rusher). 

Maybe if Clay doesn't get so much attention and Pettine moves him around he might not get so banged up out there.

35 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I feel like we addressed the edge situation by acquiring an extra 1st round pick in what looks to potentially be a historic edge class.

Now that the draft is over, where do you think Clelin Ferrell would have been taken this year ?

8 hours ago, HyponGrey said:

An OK pass rush is probably the best we can hope for, if neither get injured.

I'm more optimistic than you are. The addition of Wilkerson as a pass rusher is overlooked by some. We have Wilkerson, Daniels, and Clark all showing the ability to pressure/rush the passer, as well as potential growth from Biegel, Lowry, and Adams. I feel we are better off than alot of us think. A vet FA EDGE would be nice on the minimum.

Our pass rush is going to be better than what people think if our corners could cover for more than a second. It may be downright elite where it counts (Up the middle) and as long as Perry, Mathews, Fackrell, and Biegel can be just average I think it will be much better. 

One of the most frustrating things about last year is watch the OLB get home just to watch the QB throw in about .2 seconds to a wide open receiver. 

7 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Our pass rush is going to be better than what people think if our corners could cover for more than a second. It may be downright elite where it counts (Up the middle) and as long as Perry, Mathews, Fackrell, and Biegel can be just average I think it will be much better. 

One of the most frustrating things about last year is watch the OLB get home just to watch the QB throw in about .2 seconds to a wide open receiver. 

That goes hand in hand.  Your pass rush helps your coverage and your coverage helps the pass rush.  It's both, not just one.

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:00 PM, Golfman said:

I agree but wanted it addressed early and often. 

You can't draft what's not there thought. This wasn't a strong edge rusher draft. You don't draft an edge rusher with a C grade over another player at another position with a B grade just because that's what you need. A mid round edge rusher that you have a mediocre grade on is not going to be an impact player for you. Sometimes the draft just falls a certain way. Gute drafted the way TT used to draft. Because TT has been so apprehensive to pick up guys in free agency he started reaching for need in the draft. Don't forget we did pickup M Wilkerson, who can be an absolute monster as a rusher when he's motivated. I think the need for bookend edge rushers is kind of overblown. What really frustrated guys like Brady, Rodgers, etc is inside pressure. Tackles can easily contain edge rushers by just pushing them wide if there is no inside pressure. Rodgers makes a living off that. He steps up and out of the pocket to make big plays out of the pocket. I think Pettine's defense is more designed from the back in. He lives to have a great secondary and then disguises his pressure and uses quite a few guys to bring the heat. Honestly I think our collection of pass rushers is every bit as good as what the Jets had when Pettine was their DC. Probably better actually. Daniels, Wilkerson, and Perry is a pretty good trio of pass rushers. Not much depth behind them but I think Pettine will be able to dial in some pressure with some other guys. Our secondary just got a whole better and Pettine is going to have some options in the backend. This was just a pretty mediocre draft for pass rushers.

14 minutes ago, jleisher said:

That goes hand in hand.  Your pass rush helps your coverage and your coverage helps the pass rush.  It's both, not just one.

It's not both when you had as sorry a secondary as we've had for the past two years though. If guys are running free right off the snap it doesn't matter how good your pass rush is. No pass rush is good enough to cover for a secondary that literally lets guys run free right off the snap.

37 minutes ago, strat1080 said:

It's not both when you had as sorry a secondary as we've had for the past two years though. If guys are running free right off the snap it doesn't matter how good your pass rush is. No pass rush is good enough to cover for a secondary that literally lets guys run free right off the snap.

Exactly. Yes, everyone knows (or should) that both are necessary, but it's like asking the pass rush to produce when all the db's forgot when the game started. Won't happen. Ever. 

Archived