Ravens 2018 UDFA

sp6488

9 hours ago, berlin calling said:

remember Carr is on his last year probably so please do not give any starting caliber DBs away for nothing... why'd you do that?

Young? after all the promise he showed? geez, i'll never understand you guys. we finally have a good and deep secondary so lets do something about it?

8 hours ago, DreamKid said:

You don't trade proven young corners for that little of compensation, especially one like Tavon. Corner contracts are exploding and having them on rookie ones is all the more important. It's a cornerstone position. The idea of a trade is interesting, but ensuring we're loaded at the position is bliss and paramount. Eric and Ozzie will never ship one of our many young corners out.

1. The idea is that these young corners have value. I have no idea what that value is, but I know it’s at least a 4th round pick.

2. Corner contracts are indeed exploding. Rookie contracts are indeed important for all positions. This is why having a rookie stud corner who has 4 years left, would be better than a stud corner with only 2 years left.

3) We have depth for sure, but we also have obvious excess. The idea that we can take advantage of that excess would be smart.

4) I didn’t bring up trading Jimmy Smith only because he’s being paid a lot more and Ian coming off an injury that is harder to project than an ACL. Plus with his age, we LIKELY will not get back value enough for it to be worth giving up a lockdown corner (albeit injury prone).

Without knowing any of the names, I just believe an UDFA RB will make the team. Buck Allen should be far from a roster guarantee. Honestly, I think he's a replacement level player. I know some like him because he's decent catching the ball, but he is just the epitome of inefficiency. Let's move on. 

Re: the crowd at CB. I wish they will consider keeping Jimmy on PUP. Let him miss the beginning of the season instead of the end again. 

52 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Lets not trade any of the young corners. How about that. Simple, efficient, and smart. Especially if we're talking about it in the context of keeping a roster spot open for an undrafted free agent. 

Probably the correct take, 100%.  IF everyone is healthy in camp and guys like Averett,Hill and Darious Williams are all looking like they deserve spots, what would you think about trading Carr to a CB needy team?  The cap savings would provide benefit in terms of cushion for the year and/or rollover money for next year along with any consideration received.

I'm happy with having a surplus of corners, but interested to hear what you think about this possibility.

11 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Probably the correct take, 100%.  IF everyone is healthy in camp and guys like Averett,Hill and Darious Williams are all looking like they deserve spots, what would you think about trading Carr to a CB needy team?  The cap savings would provide benefit in terms of cushion for the year and/or rollover money for next year along with any consideration received.

I'm happy with having a surplus of corners, but interested to hear what you think about this possibility.

Without thinking twice.

7 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Sure, if it comes to that a 4th round pick would be fair. Carr is solid, but that's the ceiling and he's only on the downswing at 31. I don't mind letting one of the older vets go. Just keep the young, talented players. They're the future. 

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

OK, a quick look at the UDFA RBs we brought in... just made me sad. How could we not do better with such a clear path to the roster?

I was hoping for something like a Taquan Mizzell. Couldn't we have just kept him?

I still don't see how John Kelly wasn't an option when he was still there after the 5. round. The NFL teams certainly weren't as high on him as I was, but his versatility could have been of great value that late in the draft.

Averett and Canady might have some potential at safety, which could make it easier to fit them on the roster. With his tackling ability and speed Averett could be a free safety which could also provide some pass rush help. From what I saw, he seemed at his best when hunting the QB.

22 hours ago, Danand said:

I still don't see how John Kelly wasn't an option when he was still there after the 5. round. The NFL teams certainly weren't as high on him as I was, but his versatility could have been of great value that late in the draft.

Averett and Canady might have some potential at safety, which could make it easier to fit them on the roster. With his tackling ability and speed Averett could be a free safety which could also provide some pass rush help. From what I saw, he seemed at his best when hunting the QB.

He would definitely have to bulk up to play safety at the NFL level.  He's really thin.  I'm sure he can put on some size without losing speed, but I'm not sure if he could get to adequate safety size.  Canady may be the better guy to play both IMO.

2 hours ago, sp6488 said:

He would definitely have to bulk up to play safety at the NFL level.  He's really thin.  I'm sure he can put on some size without losing speed, but I'm not sure if he could get to adequate safety size.  Canady may be the better guy to play both IMO.

I'd say if he adds 10 pounds to 195, his size is adequate. The same thing was feared with Kevin Byard and he does more than fine. Averetts form tackle ability would also help in this regard.

From what I saw on film, he can really explode once he sees where the play is going, while he is much morehesitant when playing with has back to the play. I would just like to see what he could as a free safety. As a single high safety he shouldn't be exposed that much to having to make tackles..

But Averett is a good corner (prospect)... 

If you want a safety, draft a safety. Hopefully that's Baltimore's first or second (if wide receiver is first) priority next offseason. Couldn't get to everything in one year and with Weddle still around that's fine. 

On 5/8/2018 at 6:32 AM, berlin calling said:

get the hype train rolling =)

I’m going to be honest this highlight tape made me look up #26, J’Marick Woods.

On that Michigan return I saw someone come all the way from behind (maybe 15-20 yards) and just close the gap. Was like WHO IS #26??

• 1 month later...

Archived