Where do you rank Witten all time among TEs?

Malik

On 4/28/2018 at 10:07 PM, game3525 said:

I think Gronk has shown enough to be ranked as high as number one. 

That's honestly disrespectful to Tony G. Gronk has had injury issues and hasn't played a long career. If Gronk can play another 4-5 full seasons with, then I think the case can be made.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

That's honestly disrespectful to Tony G. Gronk has had injury issues and hasn't played a long career. If Gronk can play another 4-5 full seasons with, then I think the case can be made.

It isn't disrespectful.

Gronk has had a hell of a peak. 

On 29/04/2018 at 6:17 PM, PapaShogun said:

Simply one of the best.  Gronkowski, Gonzalez, Gates, Sharpe, Winslow, Mackie, Christensen, Ditka, Casper, Newsome, Smith, Jordan, Jones, Novachek...

Witten belongs right there with them. Don't know about rankings or whatever. Just think he's in tier worthy of being remembered. 

Think you've got to include Charlie Sanders here considering he's in the Hall. Mark Bavaro's peak was short, but he was a heck of a player. Otherwise nice list.

To address the topic, I've got Witten 6th

17 hours ago, Danger said:

It’s not disrespectful to rank a better football player over Tony G

On 4/30/2018 at 6:41 AM, DutchFalcon said:

Tony G's blocking ability really gets underrated because of the last two or three years of his careeer. Consistency wise I'd also take Tony G over Witten. I liked Witten as a player but I do wonder if he isn't being overrated based on the team he played for. I'd agree with Kiwibrown that the backend of the top 10 all time is probably where he belongs.

Gonzalez is the best TE that I've seen, he just wasn't the blocker Witten was.  I wouldn't argue with your claim that Gonzalez was more consistent, they were used differently in their offenses but Gonzalez was obviously very steady as well.

Witten was everything you wanted in a TE, he just didn't have that down the field/big play element to his game because he wasn't an elite athlete at the position.  Gonzalez was, and that's the main difference between them imo.  You also have this dynamic where Gonzalez played in an offense that revolved around him in the passing game, whereas Witten didn't and was traditionally the second option in the offense behind guys like TO and Dez. 

Archived