Evaluating & Projecting The Roster

Heimdallr

5 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Looks fairly good, our good players got the dollars ... as it should be.

The benefit for Vikings and Eagles I think, is that the low % of cap goes to the "useless players / deadcap"

I wonder if we will look upon the 2018 season and consider Cousins one of the top 4 performing players on the Vikings?  I sure hope so.  However, I think it possible that he could not be a top 4 player on the team.

With addition of Iloka....

QB (3): Cousins, Siemian, Sloter

RB (5): Cook, Murray, Ham, Boone, Thomas

WR (5): Thielen, Diggs, Treadwell, Wright, Coley

TE (3): Rudolph, Morgan, Conklin

OL (9): Reiff, Compton, Elflien, Remmers, Hill, Isidora, O'Neil, Collins, Edison

DE (5): Griffen, Hunter, Bower, Odenigbo, Weatherly

DT (4): Joseph, Richardson, Johnson, Holmes

LB (5): Barr, Kendricks, Gedeon, Wilson, Downs

CB (7): Rhodes, Waynes, Hughes, Alexander, Newman, Hill, Sherels

S (4): Smith, Sendejo, Iloka, Kearse

Specials (3): Carlson, McDermott, Quigley

Edison makes team as backup C, Odengibo has played DE and DT, Sherels is too valuable on ST units. I believe Kearse makes it over Harris for being under team control for 2 more seasons. I like the idea of keeping both Boone and Thomas and having 2019 be Cook/Boone/Thomas not confident we'd be able to sneak the "loser" onto the PS.

25 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

7 corners, 5 safeties, 4 linebackers, 9 d-linemen

I could see that if they're intent on keeping 5 safeties. It might have been another thread but Zimmer mentioned something about lack of LB depth. I'd be surprised if they kept only 4. 

What’s the purpose of a 5th linebacker? Likely, it’s only for special teams reasons. This team rarely uses two linebacker formations, so having two backups behind Kendricks and Barr should be adequate. Plus, who deserves the 5th spot, or are you just filling a quota with one? I haven’t really seen anyone deserving of the 5th linebacker spot, especially on special teams where a 5th safety like Kearse stands out. 

Not to mention, given the new rules on kickoffs, it makes more sense to keep more defensive backs, who are quicker and faster. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

What’s the purpose of a 5th linebacker? Likely, it’s only for special teams reasons. This team rarely uses two linebacker formations, so having two backups behind Kendricks and Barr should be adequate. Plus, who deserves the 5th spot, or are you just filling a quota with one? I haven’t really seen anyone deserving of the 5th linebacker spot, especially on special teams where a 5th safety like Kearse stands out. 

Not to mention, given the new rules on kickoffs, it makes more sense to keep more defensive backs, who are quicker and faster. 

Having 4 linebackers only gives you 1 backup for 3 spots when they play base defense. Most of the time it would be fine but any injury and there is nothing left

56 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Having 4 linebackers only gives you 1 backup for 3 spots when they play base defense. Most of the time it would be fine but any injury and there is nothing left

We just don't play in base defense enough to worry about that. Especially when the player you’re talking about (5th LB) isn’t worth rostering. 

19 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

We just don't play in base defense enough to worry about that. Especially when the player you’re talking about (5th LB) isn’t worth rostering. 

I still think that 5 LBs is the minimum if you’re talking about getting your special teams filled. Can’t have it be filled with all DBs and WRs. 

31 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

With the new coverage rules, I think you’re going to see a big swing in that direction. 

I agree with this, one thing with special teams Gedeon will most likely be stuck on there when needed. Really the only unit that could use extra linebackers is maybe the punting unit? Even then a safety like Sendejo or Iloka could fill that spot nicely 

Archived