Evaluating & Projecting The Roster

Heimdallr

On 7/26/2018 at 4:37 PM, SemperFeist said:

I don’t see a real need for a 6th linebacker. Certainly not since the team is expected to be in nickel packages 75% of the time. 

With Gedeon as your 3rd linebacker/ primary backup, that still leaves you with 2 spots to fill with special teams/developmental players. Four “backup” linebackers for a team that really only utilizes two just seems like over kill. 

I believe a 6th linebacker could be kept for special teams purposes if needed. Sometimes they get the advantage over even an extra safety or depth pass rusher even. 

18 minutes ago, Krauser said:

DkCPmztU8AAmMD3.jpg

• Gossett is stuck with the 3rd team even though both starting guards are out, hmm
  • Conklin not beating out Bell (camp reports haven't been great)
  • Odenigbo now at DT and ahead of Holmes

Did you expect Gossett to surpass Isidora or Compton before the first preseason game? Both Easton and Remmers are still listed as first team starters 

Conklin situation is weird, PA just praised him again in front of the coaches for looking great, yet he is the only one I’ve heard say anything good about him. 

Zim actually meantioned he liked Odenigbo moving to his “natural” position as DT the other day. 

Personally, I’m not putting to much thought into the first released depth chart from the first game. 

3rd team is most likely going to play the whole second half of the game, giving these young guys the most time to show what they got. 

8 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Did you expect Gossett to surpass Isidora or Compton before the first preseason game? Both Easton and Remmers are still listed as first team starters 

Conklin situation is weird, PA just praised him again in front of the coaches for looking great, yet he is the only one I’ve heard say anything good about him. 

Zim actually meantioned he liked Odenigbo moving to his “natural” position as DT the other day. 

Personally, I’m not putting to much thought into the first released depth chart from the first game. 

3rd team is most likely going to play the whole second half of the game, giving these young guys the most time to show what they got. 

Not just on the depth chart, but people at camp (Luke Braun for one) have said Gossett hasn't moved up from the 3rd string even with Isidora and Compton starting, and that Conklin seems to be struggling. 

I know Odenigbo changed position but it still counts as news on the depth chart compared to before camp. 

I understand the first depth chart is preliminary -- as I said, it seems like the rookies were just added to the bottom of it with few minor exceptions (Hughes, O'Neill, Carlson). Of course it will change during preseason. 

13 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I believe a 6th linebacker could be kept for special teams purposes if needed. Sometimes they get the advantage over even an extra safety or depth pass rusher even. 

If Sherels is on the team, there's no way that there's a 6th LB on the team.  

• 2 weeks later...

How I would slice it given the current roster (not going to speculate on additional moves. 

Quarterback(3) - Cousins, Siemian, Sloter

Runningback(5) - Cook, Murray, Ham, Boone, Thomas

Wide Receiver(5) - Diggs, Thielen, Treadwell, Coley, Wright

Tight End(3) - Rudolph, Morgan, Conklin

Offensive Line(9) - Reiff, Isidora, Elflein, Remmers, O’Neill, Hill, Compton, Collins, Edison, Gossett

———

Defensive End(5) - Griffen, Hunter, Robison, Odenigbo, Bower

Defensive Tackle(4) - Joseph, Richardson, Johnson, Holmes

Linebacker(5) - Barr, Kendricks, Gedeon, Wilson, Downs

Safety(4) - Smith, Sendejo, Harris, Kearse

Cornerback(7) - Rhodes, Waynes, Alexander, Hughes, Newman, Sherels, Hill

———

Kicker(1) - Carlson

Punter(1) - Quigley

Long Snapper(1) - McDermott

———

some weird numbers to be sure. Can you expose Hill to waivers given how many corner needy teams there are? I personally don’t think so. How is Mack Alexander’s injury going to impact the roster (if at all) Given the special teams coverage issues we’ve had, Sherels is looking good for the roster because of his ability there. Newman throws a wrench into things because I think he’s respected enough, and versatile enough, that if he wants to play they’ll put him on the roster  

Odenigbo vs Bower vs Weatherly... Bower missed today’s game and Odenigbo beasted (plus he has shown he can play in the under tackle spot). Weatherly plays on coverage units and seems to be coming along as a rusher. Do you keep two? Do you keep three?

There are no wide receivers worthy of a sixth spot, I’m keeping four RBs all day given the production and potential they’ve shown. Pretty sure Boone would have the ability to play specials given the way he plays, and would be the better bell-cow if pressed into service. Roc just seems to have that special factor to his game. 

As much as I would like to only keep two QBs, Sloter hasn’t shown enough for me to show Siemian the door (despite TS’s lackluster performances so far)

is five linebackers too few? Gedeon is your starter in base and can back up Kendricks. Wilson can seemingly play any spot, and Downs can backup the middle and weak side. Do you need more to hedge against injury and to play special teams? Has Cliett or Williams earned a spot?

4 minutes ago, RpMc said:

How I would slice it given the current roster (not going to speculate on additional moves. 

Quarterback(3) - Cousins, Siemian, Sloter

Runningback(5) - Cook, Murray, Ham, Boone, Thomas

Wide Receiver(5) - Diggs, Thielen, Treadwell, Coley, Wright

Tight End(3) - Rudolph, Morgan, Conklin

Offensive Line(9) - Reiff, Isidora, Elflein, Remmers, O’Neill, Hill, Compton, Collins, Edison, Gossett

———

Defensive End(5) - Griffen, Hunter, Robison, Odenigbo, Bower

Defensive Tackle(4) - Joseph, Richardson, Johnson, Holmes

Linebacker(5) - Barr, Kendricks, Gedeon, Wilson, Downs

Safety(4) - Smith, Sendejo, Harris, Kearse

Cornerback(7) - Rhodes, Waynes, Alexander, Hughes, Newman, Sherels, Hill

———

Kicker(1) - Carlson

Punter(1) - Quigley

Long Snapper(1) - McDermott

———

some weird numbers to be sure. Can you expose Hill to waivers given how many corner needy teams there are? I personally don’t think so. How is Mack Alexander’s injury going to impact the roster (if at all) Given the special teams coverage issues we’ve had, Sherels is looking good for the roster because of his ability there. Newman throws a wrench into things because I think he’s respected enough, and versatile enough, that if he wants to play they’ll put him on the roster  

Odenigbo vs Bower vs Weatherly... Bower missed today’s game and Odenigbo beasted (plus he has shown he can play in the under tackle spot). Weatherly plays on coverage units and seems to be coming along as a rusher. Do you keep two? Do you keep three?

There are no wide receivers worthy of a sixth spot, I’m keeping four RBs all day given the production and potential they’ve shown. Pretty sure Boone would have the ability to play specials given the way he plays, and would be the better bell-cow if pressed into service. Roc just seems to have that special factor to his game. 

As much as I would like to only keep two QBs, Sloter hasn’t shown enough for me to show Siemian the door (despite TS’s lackluster performances so far)

is five linebackers too few? Gedeon is your starter in base and can back up Kendricks. Wilson can seemingly play any spot, and Downs can backup the middle and weak side. Do you need more to hedge against injury and to play special teams? Has Cliett or Williams earned a spot?

I would totally agree with having this roster, no question about it.  Not sure how we could keep Hill to be honest though, would be great if we could but no way he is not picked up and makes it to the PS if we cut him.  Also I think we would need one more LB for special teams and that would be either Williams or Cliett I feel.  Hopefully Ade could make the PS but that injury he had today looked very bad.  

Sloter honestly I like him, have not been this pleased and or excited about a 3rd string Vikings QB for a long time.  Sloter can play and has a lot of upside, no way we let him go and would not be surprised to see Siemian get the door after this year potentially.

Would suck to lose Beebe or Wieneke but very hard to legitimize keeping them.  And really stupid of the Vikings to sign King when they could have went after OL help in the off season, would not be surprised to see him cut.  Also would not like to see Tocho go but there is just too much depth at DB to keep him around.  

Also I might be counting wrong but you have 54 players on the roster, can only have 53.  If that is the case Hill would be the one to go I feel.  That or Boone/Thomas which would be hard, Boone is more physical and a better blocker, Thomas has more ability to catch and make plays out of the backfield.  

12 minutes ago, RpMc said:

I did catch the extra player. Listed a 10th lineman when I only meant to carry 9

Oh ok, you could just edit the post as well.  Still if it comes down to who one cuts, it is not a lineman it would be Holton Hill and or Boone/Thomas.  Again I would say Hill no way he makes it to the PS but Beebe maybe could sneak through to that, hopefully...

Archived