Evaluating & Projecting The Roster

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, disaacs said:

all indications seem to be that they really like him and were very impressed with him during OTAs and the minicamp.  

Where did you see/hear that? 

Haven't heard anything about DL impressing (or failing to) in OTAs/minicamp. Aren't the practices non-contact? 

1 hour ago, Krauser said:

Where did you see/hear that? 

Haven't heard anything about DL impressing (or failing to) in OTAs/minicamp. Aren't the practices non-contact? 

I have read at least one article as well in the last several days stating the coaching staff likes him. I will keep looking for a link for you.

isn't blake bell considered to be JAG? i don't see why we would keep him when there are better options on running downs (rudolph, morgan and brian o'neill in short-yardage situations) and the other three TEs (rudolph, morgan and conklin) are competent on passing downs. 

i know pederson/defilippo used 2-TE sets a lot in philly but that was also the strength of the roster. we don't have two dynamic TEs and they didn't have two stud WRs like we do. 

Eagles famously focused their offense around TEs but they actually ran 3WR sets (11 personnel) more than the Vikings did. Data here: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/2017-offensive-personnel-analysis

Eagles 2017 used 3WRs on 66.6% of plays, 7th in the league, while the Vikings used 11 personnel 56.3% of the time, 19th in the league. Eagles offensive success (by DVOA) with 3WRs was 7th in the league (of all teams in 11 personnel), Vikings was 10th. In all other (non-3WR) formations the Eagles DVOA was 10th while the Vikings were 3rd. 

The Vikings were among the top 3 teams who most frequently used 2 TE formations (12 personnel or 22 personnel). The others were the Ravens and Chiefs. 

Eagles only had 3 TEs on their initial 53 man roster last year (Ertz, Celek, Burton).  

12 hours ago, perrynoid said:

I have read at least one article as well in the last several days stating the coaching staff likes him. I will keep looking for a link for you.

I personally don't know if anything has been directly written, but based upon what Paul Allen has stated, as well as Zimmer quotes during interviews during the OTAs, he often has brought up Parry specifically as a player he has seen many good things from...and based upon previous history, when Zimmer singles you out, good or bad, that means something.  

On 7/1/2018 at 12:55 PM, Heimdallr said:

porque no los dos?

Happy Independence Day! As an esteemed member of The Ancients, as bequeathed by VD (not so sure I would appreciate THAT moniker), it's too damned hot in Michigan for me to do much outside today. So I may as well take a shot at a before camp and preseason final 53:

3 - QB - easily the easiest choices for me, Cousins, Trevor, and Sloter

3 - RB - Cook, Murray, and the winner of Roc and Boone, I'll go with Roc cuz I think it would be cool saying "Roc toting the rock!"

1 - FB - Ham, I thought he played well last year.

5 - WR - Theilen, Diggs, Treadwell, Wright, and Coley, although I think we may lose a rookie off the PS if we don't roster 6.

3 - TE - Rudy, Morgan, and hopefully Conklin beats out Bell, a.k.a. JAG

9 - OL - I know that's a lot, and I'm not breaking them down by position because many of these can move around - Reiff, Hill, O'Neill (PLEASE over-achieve!), Remmers, Easton, Isadora, Elflein, Andrews, and Compton.

9 - DL - (same disclaimer as given for OL) Griffin, Hunter, Bower, Aruna (see O'Neill), Robison, Joseph, Richardson, Johnson, Holmes, and Parry.

7 - LB - Barr, Kendricks, Gedeon, Cliett, Wilson, Downs, and Brothers (hopefully Rick keeps an eye out for a FA after cuts, lack of depth looks apparent)

6 - CB - (maybe 5 if one of these is underwhelming and we keep a 6th WR) Rhodes, Waynes, Mac, Hughes, Newman (safety in a pinch), and Hill (please stay clean!)

4 - S - another pretty easy choice, Smith, Sandejo, Harris, and Kearse

3 - K, P, & LS - kinda don't care as long as they don't screw up, but hope Carlson locks down the Kicker job for years.

10 - PS - Boone, Zylstra, Collins, Edison, Weatherly, K. Robertson, Gossett, Odenigbo, H. Richardson, and Tocho.

I do Not do this for a living and this is strictly my opinion, however I have thick, leathery skin so critique away!

8 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Switch Gossett for Andrews or Compton, and I like this a lot!

Thanks! I considered that but went with NFL experience and a year of development for the kid from Appalachian State. I do like Gossett better for the long term and believe he has a higher ceiling. If the coaching staff thinks he's ready this year then I say go for it, and that would really make this year's draft class much better.

58 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

You’ve got 10 defensive linemen listed. 

Ha, so I do, and that is at least one too many! Dang, I wish we were so deep at every position. I guess I would see if Aruna is ready for primetime or the PS. If he sticks, one of Johnson or Holmes to the PS, or cut Parry. Then if one of those dudes goes to the PS, I probably cut Horace. It's a good thing I don't do this for a living, probably be fired already!

Archived