Evaluating & Projecting The Roster

Heimdallr

There's a case for keeping 8 guys from the 2017 draft class, plus all 3 UDFAs who made the team as rookies last year: 

• Elflein, Cook, Gedeon, obviously
  • Jaleel as the 3rd DT
  • Isidora as a starting guard
  • Coley as WR4 or WR5
  • Odenigbo as the 8th DL / nickel DT pass rusher
  • Tocho as either the 4th safety (replacing Kearse) or 5th safety if they keep 5
  • Wilson as the 4th LB, first backup nickel LB
  • Collins as a multi position OL backup
  • Bower as the 4th DE (ideally, 3rd ahead of Robison)

Maybe Tocho doesn't make the cut , but the other 10 (!) seem pretty close to roster locks. That would mean the entire class from 2017 panned out except Rodney Adams. Even Elijah Lee went to the Niners and was their most used special teams player while playing a few snaps as a backup LB. 

4 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Gotta see Zylstra play to have a shot. 

Yeah, it's unfortunate. I had him as a very likely candidate to make the team before training camp, but you can't make the team from in the tub.

25 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

There’s been nothing from reports at camp, or in the games, to suggest that Kendall Wright deserves a roster spot. But given the fact that no one has grabbed the reigns, he’ll probably make the roster based on his pedigree and resumè. 

Exactly. I had him as a cut about a week ago. But at this point, I didn't know who to put ahead of him.

21 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Exactly. I had him as a cut about a week ago. But at this point, I didn't know who to put ahead of him.

Agreed. WR depth looks very questionable. I would be surprised if Wright doesn't make the team. Without Wright, behind Thielan and Diggs all the team has is hope that a young guy can step up and none of them have looked consistently decent.

I have close to zero confidence in Treadwell. Coley doesn't look as good to me as what some of you seem to be seeing; he hasn't impressed me as much this preseason as he did last preseason. I really hope that we get to see Zylstra play next week to see if he has anything. King hasn't impressed me.

Between Robertson, Badet, Beebe and Weineke the team should be able to find a couple good enough to keep around on the PS to try and develop. It would be nice if Zylsta plays and earns a spot on the roster. If not, he would be in this group that can compete for a spot on the practice squad.

1 minute ago, CriminalMind said:

no, but maybe he'll accept red shirt IR, instead of cut to the PS & maybe go somewhere else. 

That's not a thing. You have to be injured in order to go on injured reserve.

4 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

technically yes. .. but teams are very very liberal with what is deemed injury if they want to. NE has done this frequently previously

But the league and NFLPA watch quite closely. I’d need you to provide the example of a player who New England fudged to IR to keep them for a full year.

Hill also has little incentive to accept such a deal if it were possible. 

16 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The Vikings put Jaymar Johnson on season-ending IR with a broken thumb that he suffered in the preseason opener one year.  I think he was pretty much healed by Week 1 or Week 2.  

The NFL changed its IR rules since then, I believe.

22 minutes ago, Klomp said:

The NFL changed its IR rules since then, I believe.

The rules have changed somewhat, but they didn't have to put him on IR, they could have put him on the PUP list, which still existed at the time and he could have come back after Week 6.  

Archived