2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

I like Johnson as a late round WR as well if we go that route. 

Wasn’t necessarily trying to compare Brown to Taylor and James as far as skill level goes, more so just their stature or lack there of. I think Brown has the capability to become a TY Hilton type though with his talents, but injuries do scare me especially with how the beginning of John Ross’ career has gone.

CBS has our "Biggest offseason needs" as: 

Defensive end, Safety, Cornerback, Guard, Linebacker, Wide receiver

I really only agree with the bolded, though an additional WR, guard and safety would be welcomed by me (essentially every unit has holes). Whats the overall consensus biggest needs here?  

4 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I really only agree with the bolded, though an additional WR, guard and safety would be welcomed by me (essentially every unit has holes). Whats the overall consensus biggest needs here?  

They hit it on the head if you ask me. 

I'd rank the needs as:

1. Edge rusher

2. FS

3. Guard (Person is a FA)

4. CB (Premium position and we need more competition)

5. LB

6. WR 

7 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Those are pretty accurate. Guard is a need for the time being because person in a free agent and Tomlinson is hurt, and I can't trust Garnet.

Safety is definitely a need, specifically a rangy center fielder type. that's why everyone wants ET lol. I don't trust Tartt to stay healthy, but should he get hurt, I'm okay with giving Harris the snaps

Wide receiver is a need, but only at the top. The depth is fine. I'd like a competent #2 who can make tough catches

We should probably look into a backup tight end to at least challenge celek. Id argue a backup center should probably be looked into

I’d rank em as follows :

1) EDGE (No explanation needed)

2) FS (Reed is a better slot CB, don’t trust Colbert, and no one behind that)

3) LB (No one next to Warner worth mentioning and the SAM spot while not used every down has no one who should really be even seeing the field in any capacity)

4a) C/OG (Someone to back up and possibly replace the overpaid Richburg and someone to push Tomlinson, Person, Garnett. Have no idea what Magnuson brings to the table as he can’t stay healthy or find the field)

4b) WR (Would like a bigger WR who can play physical to line up with Pettis and Goodwin but regardless need someone with significant upside with how injury prone everyone we have is)

5) CB (I put CB last as Sherman will be one more year removed from injury, Witherspoon improved during season after terrible start, Moore needs to see the field to gain experience, grow and for us to see what we have in him. Reed and Williams are fine at slot CB for me but still another guy as insurance for Witherspoon and Moore would be nice)

As a side note, another TE behind Kittle and in front of Celek wouldn’t hurt in making this offense more dynamic and I’m not opposed to a bigger RB who can finish out games and take punishment as well as deliver it since McKinnon and Breida are obviously smaller and durability has to be a concern somewhat.

Riley Ridley is in. I like him for some reason. The type of guy that for some reason I just think is going to make a better pro than college player. I don't think that I'd take him before round 3, but I'd be interested in that third. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

How do you feel about Josh Oliver? 

Josh Oliver is definitely a target I’d have for our 6th round pick if he he’s even there then. The LSU and Georgia TEs I like also as depth player. I’m just not sure if I’m spending one of our limited draft picks on a TE this year with our other needs. Especially if we have the ability to sign someone like Boyle or Williams from Baltimore. But Oliver I think is getting overlooked right now for what he brings to the table, athletic, effort player which isn’t usually a thing. Great build and surprising receiving ability shown this year. 

I’m with you @Forge, very underwhelming group of ILB other than White and Mack if he declares. I actually like a couple of small school DEs like Sutton Smith to project to ILB for us in the later rounds more than I do most actual ILBs.

5 hours ago, Forge said:

Riley Ridley is in. I like him for some reason. The type of guy that for some reason I just think is going to make a better pro than college player. I don't think that I'd take him before round 3, but I'd be interested in that third. 

Ridley, Preston Williams and a few others that may drop from the 2nd like Deebo Samuel are some guys I like if we are looking at the top of the 3rd for a WR. Should be some good talent available then too with this deep class. I really like guys like Tyre Brady and Keelan Doss maybe in the 4th too. 

I’m looking at WRs thought to be 3rd and 4th round prospects as of late even though I still love the idea of adding a WR like AJ Brown or Kelvin Harmon at the top of the 2nd. Some good C/OG prospects have declared the past couple days and with our shakiness for the past couple years at both positions I’m leaning towards wanting us to take one at the top of the 2nd, if of course we’ve signed our FS through FA being ET, Amos or Mathieu. If we haven’t added any FS by draft time I’m all aboard the Nasir Adderley train.

Hodge, Bachie and the kid from NC State are probably my favorite LB guys outside the obvious names. Might just be me but there seem to be a lot more guys who would seem better fits as a SAM in our defense than at MIKE and WILL which may bode well for us needing to upgrade there as well. 

12 hours ago, Forge said:

I think that some reason is his crisp routes at a really solid frame that shouldn't get him hurt. And being a part of a Georgia offense that thinks of throwing the ball as an unfortunate occasional necessity. I'd like to have more reps from him, but the reps he had looked pretty clean. And, as an Auburn fan, he was the only guy that anecdotally gave Carlton Davis problems in our game at Jordan-Hare last year. 

Archived