Will new WRs be better than last years rookies?

James Lofton

I think things would look much better if McCarthy could get the RBs involved in the passing game.  His lack of creativity has really been noticeable without a solid, experienced WR group.  I think Gute realizes that the receivers have to be bigger and faster than everyone else in order for these archaic ISO routes to work.

Moore and EQ both played with NFL QBs in college, I think that will work in their favor transitioning to the league.  All of the young WRs will have to earn Rodgers' trust though or they won't get the targets.  Allison is assignment sure, which earned him playing time over: Janis, Davis, Dupre, Yancey, Clark... and did we still have Boykin and Abby when Allison got to the team?

Hard to say which is why you bring in a vet for 2018. We should not expect anything in 2018 from three day 3 rookies. Anything they give in 2018 is a bonus but should not be a necessity. 

4 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Don't think any of them do anything honestly.  Rookies, Rodgers, no mix.  Randall Cobb played in 15 games as a rookie.  25 catches.  Doubt any of the guys we just drafted match that. 

I can give you 5 reasons why he only caught 25 passes: Nelson, Jennings, Jones, Driver and Finley! Jennings played in 13 games the other 4 played in all 16. But it was a good story! Also, Davante caught 38 balls his rookie year on 66 targets so there is that too. 

1 hour ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

I think things would look much better if McCarthy could get the RBs involved in the passing game.  His lack of creativity has really been noticeable without a solid, experienced WR group.  I think Gute realizes that the receivers have to be bigger and faster than everyone else in order for these archaic ISO routes to work.

Hopefully a good chunk of the iso goes away with Philben back and the makeover of the offense.

Just now, Golfman said:

I can give you 5 reasons why he only caught 25 passes: Nelson, Jennings, Jones, Driver and Finley! Jennings played in 13 games the other 4 played in all 16. But it was a good story! 

Now I thought you were going to ignore me.  ;)

It's a good point, but the point remains.  It takes Rodgers a significant chunk of time to trust his targets. 

Jordy Nelson's rookie year was Aaron's first year as a pro.  Jordy had 33 catches in 16 games.

Additionally, Driver was being phased out of the offense in 2011.  Only had 37 catches. 

Glad you're not ignoring me!  Am I still a troll? 

I'm not sure how much production we get out of the rookie WR's this year and if we get only limited that is not necessarily terrible. It might mean Jimmy Graham has still got it, just needed an elite QB throwing to him. Might mean Randall Cobb had a resurgent year. It might mean that our running game really kicked into high gear. It might also mean Clark, Allison or Davis really came on and kept them off the field. 

It wouldn't necessarily mean that makes them a bust. It may mean we had enough in house to bring them along like most rookie receivers.  

5 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Now I thought you were going to ignore me.  ;)

It's a good point, but the point remains.  It takes Rodgers a significant chunk of time to trust his targets. 

Jordy Nelson's rookie year was Aaron's first year as a pro.  Jordy had 33 catches in 16 games.

Additionally, Driver was being phased out of the offense in 2011.  Only had 37 catches. 

Glad you're not ignoring me!  Am I still a troll? 

As for the troll part, I hope not. I enjoy a good conversation. The point was, in those years, Rodgers had plenty of quality receivers to throw to so he had the luxury of not throwing to the rookie. Davante had 38 catches and 66 targets as a rookie, yet you left that off in quoting me. That year Rodgers had no reliable veteran third receiver so Davante got some looks. That is the situation as it stands potentially right now. 

I think all veteran QB's would rather NOT throw to rookie WR's. They tend to make mistakes that make the QB look bad. Me, I'm hoping Clark makes a big second year leap and those rookies are then given the time necessary to learn the offense and gain Aaron's trust. Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, strat1080 said:

I agree. Rookie WRs haven't always had huge impacts as rookies with Rodgers but it's mostly been because we've had a pretty deep WR group. 

Yup, that number 2 spot outside hasn't been open in a looong time. Unless Allison just balls out, I don't see how at least 1 or 2 of these guys see significant time throughout the season.

Just now, Golfman said:

As for the troll part, I hope not. I enjoy a good conversation. The point was, in those years, Rodgers had plenty of quality receivers to throw to so he had the luxury of not throwing to the rookie. Davante had 38 catches and 66 targets as a rookie, yet you left that off in quoting me. That year Rodgers had no reliable veteran third receiver so Davante got some looks. That is the situation as it stands potentially right now.

I feel you're close to acknowledging my point.  No receiver has had more than 38 receptions in his rookie year with Rodgers as QB. 

38 for Davante in 16 games. 

For comparison, Jennings had 45 in his rookie year.  Favre was throwing to him. 

Davante with 38, Jordy with 33, Cobb with 25... 

What do those three receivers have in common?  They were second round picks.  What do the receivers we drafted this year have in common?  They were late 4th-6th round picks.  Expecting anything more than 15 catches from any of them is expecting too much. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I feel you're close to acknowledging my point.  No receiver has had more than 38 receptions in his rookie year with Rodgers as QB. 

What do those three receivers have in common?  They were second round picks.  What do the receivers we drafted this year have in common?  They were late 4th-6th round picks.  Expecting anything more than 15 catches from any of them is expecting too much. 

What kind of bet should we make that one has over 15. It's not that I believe it. I just want to have a way to remember this to make fun of you later.

4 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I guess the point I'm making is Rodgers may not have other options but to throw to them. There are few late round WR picks who make a big impact over their career, so you point about these guys is not wrong. Somebody is going to have to be thrown to besides, Adams, Cobb and Graham. You can assume it is Allison and that may well be the case. The point is, it could be one of these three rookies and Rodgers is going to throw to them. Again, I'm hoping it is Clark and he's catches double digit TD's. Laugh, but if it's Clark who do you think Rodgers is going to in the redzone. That freak is uncoverable if he can make that leap. It is a very large IF, I understand that. 

Just now, NormSizedMidget said:

What kind of bet should we make that one has over 15. It's not that I believe it. I just want to have a way to remember this to make fun of you later.

If a receiver we drafted this year catches over 20 passes, I will change my avatar to any site-appropriate avatar for a full calendar year.  If none of them catch 20 passes or more, whoever takes this bet must select an avatar from the greatest movie ever made for a full calendar year.  The greatest movie ever made of course being John Carpenter's The Thing (1982). 

EDIT: Also, anyone who takes this bet must promise to remind me, win or lose, because there's no way in hell I'm remembering. 

8 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

If a receiver we drafted this year catches over 20 passes, I will change my avatar to any site-appropriate avatar for a full calendar year.  If none of them catch 20 passes or more, whoever takes this bet must select an avatar from the greatest movie ever made for a full calendar year.  The greatest movie ever made of course being John Carpenter's The Thing (1982). 

EDIT: Also, anyone who takes this bet must promise to remind me, win or lose, because there's no way in hell I'm remembering. 

I'm down. 

Archived