Will new WRs be better than last years rookies?

James Lofton

Didn't like what little I saw of Clark late in the year.  Seemed kinda clueless, couldn't adjust, didn't seem to have the body-control or footwork that NFL receivers have.  (Kinda Janis-like in that regard.)  I'll be really surprised (happily, I'm sure) if he wins out and gets a lot of targets.  

If one of the rookies gets 15-20 catches, that's not that few, really.  Jordy played all season and caught only 53, <500 yards.  Can't expect some no-tenure rookie suddenly getting even half the snaps or half the targets that Jordy had... 

Allison played a fraction of the snaps that Jordy had; on a per-snap basis he ought to be able to at least produce comparably to Jordy's unproductive year.  

There could be an advantage for 3rd receiver, whoever that may be on a given snap, in that defenses are presumably going to be heavily focused on Adams, Cobb, and Graham.  Whether it's Allison or Moore or Yancey or St. Brown or Davis, they are going to get a LOT of single-coverage and 3rd-best-corner matchups, maybe? 

From that standpoint, I wonder if St. Brown might not have some opportunity.  In the old days, Aaron would routinely look for a one-on-one matchup outside, particularly if it involved a vulnerable corner.  Whether that be with Jennings, or more often Jordy.  Obviously Allison isn't going to race past even a 3rd corner, and Moore and Yancey aren't burners either.  But I could imagine a world where *IF* St. Brown does show up favorably, he's got the speed and the length to be a pretty interesting one-on-one "go-deep" guy.  Whether he'll have the capacity to do back-shoulder stuff, beats me.  

Last speculation:  If 3rd WR is not really very useful in the receiving game, I wonder whether MM/Philbin/Rodgers might possibly throw more often to the running backs?  Rodgers has never liked doing that, MM has never incorporated that much, Rodgers has never been good at throws to backs (he throws too fast/low and doesn't have much touch or ability to throw it soft so they can adjust their feet to catch in stride), and I'm not sure that the 2 second-year RB's have great aptitude either.  But I've always thought it would be kind of interesting if somehow they got comfortable throwing more to the backs.  I'd love to see Monty and especially Jones getting a lot more chances with the ball and a little more space outside to run.  

12 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

If a receiver we drafted this year catches over 20 passes, I will change my avatar to any site-appropriate avatar for a full calendar year.  If none of them catch 20 passes or more, whoever takes this bet must select an avatar from the greatest movie ever made for a full calendar year.  The greatest movie ever made of course being John Carpenter's The Thing (1982). 

EDIT: Also, anyone who takes this bet must promise to remind me, win or lose, because there's no way in hell I'm remembering. 

I dig yah, man, and will happily take that bet.

BTW...The Thing, great movie.  Still to this day...  I can work with Norm for an avatar....

And...you watch...Moore with 19 catches, ESB 19 catches....  :)

I think this is a debate that should wait until TC. However, I have to contend that maybe one of the three WR's we selected makes the final 53 unless we're worried about losing someone. Also, kinda curious as to the hate for Yancey; y'all know he was a rookie last year right? Trevor Davis will be cut. Heck, I'd cut him now so he has a chance of latching on with another team. Out of the three WR's we drafted, hypothetically, which moves to the slot?

53 minutes ago, Joe said:

I think this is a debate that should wait until TC. However, I have to contend that maybe one of the three WR's we selected makes the final 53 unless we're worried about losing someone. Also, kinda curious as to the hate for Yancey; y'all know he was a rookie last year right? Trevor Davis will be cut. Heck, I'd cut him now so he has a chance of latching on with another team. Out of the three WR's we drafted, hypothetically, which moves to the slot?

I'm keeping Davis over Yancey.  Yancey couldn't beat him out last year and Davis at the very least showed some return ability.

Yancey didn't look like he had much in the way of agility in college...and last year I thought Dupree looked like the smoother athlete.  I'm more excited about Clark than I am Yancey.  GB has like 3 wide receivers that will be darned near locks.  Adams, Cobb, Allison.  After that, you have to give the nod to Davis.  3rd year of camp..showed return ability...etc.  Then you have Clark, Yancey, Moore, ESB and Marquez fighting it out for 2 spots...maybe 3.  Moore is taking one of them.  Hard to see ESB not making the team.

Thinking Yancey has an uphill climb....

Sounds like everyone is sleeping on Valdes-Sparling. Fair enough, he seems raw and doesn’t have the pedigree of Moore or St. Brown. Still, he went before St. Brown, which makes me wonder what the team expects from him. 

6 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Sounds like everyone is sleeping on Valdes-Scandling. Fair enough, he seems raw and doesn’t have the pedigree of Moore or St. Brown. Still, he went before St. Brown, which makes me wonder what the team expects from him. 

I've thought about this too. I wonder if they saw him as a better receiving prospect than ESB or as a better combination of receiving and special teams value.

To me it seems obvious that Equanimious was a productive and talented receiver that faced top talent. Hard to see the two picks flipped the way they went.

I think this class will be better. From what I heard Ted favored  ball skills over measurables. He preferred smaller receivers with ball skills and yac ability. Ted never put a premium on speed and at times ended up drafting slower Wr's and DB's on the premise of ball skills.

Gute is the exact opposite he favors speed and measurables and those are the type of receivers that are better suited for Mac's system which relies on winning mismatches. 

Mac needs those  bigger faster athletic receivers to have better sucess because he can't scheme guys open like Belichick. The Wr's Ted tends to draft would work better in the Patriots system which relies more on scheme and route running than athleticism and height.

30 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Sounds like everyone is sleeping on Valdes-Sparling. Fair enough, he seems raw and doesn’t have the pedigree of Moore or St. Brown. Still, he went before St. Brown, which makes me wonder what the team expects from him. 

It's difficult to be too high or too low on any of them.  These late-round, sounds-too-good-to-be-true WRs virtually never work out, but they always give you hope. 

1 hour ago, blueswedeshoes said:

I've thought about this too. I wonder if they saw him as a better receiving prospect than ESB or as a better combination of receiving and special teams value.

To me it seems obvious that Equanimious was a productive and talented receiver that faced top talent. Hard to see the two picks flipped the way they went.

ESB's competitiveness was seriously questioned. 

3 hours ago, Joe said:

Randall Cobb.  Of the three, J'Mon seems the most quick and agile, so probably him.  The good thing about 3 draft picks is that if they hit we have them cheap.  We can afford Cobb next offseason (and this contract will pay him less) as we are only going to have Adams contract at the position.  Our inside receiver spots will probably be manned by Cobb, Graham, Kendricks, and Jones or Monty if they are put in motion.  It wouldn't shock me if Adams were lined up inside if Valdes-Sparling and St. Brown were on the field with him.

Its an interesting question that will be fun to watch.  Given that these were three day 3 picks in one of the worst WR drafts in recent memory my expectations aren't going to be very high.  I see little to no difference between these 3 prospects and the 2 guys we drafted last year, both of whom we were receiving this much  hype this time last year.  I remember Dupre being herald as a first round talent that dropped to the 7th because of QB play (virtually the same excuse fans are making for ESB's junior season and slide in the draft). 

I think the chances of none of these guys even making the active roster this year is substantially higher than the chances of them going form a bottom of the draft caliber pick to NFL starting WR. 

46 minutes ago, SSG said:

Its an interesting question that will be fun to watch.  Given that these were three day 3 picks in one of the worst WR drafts in recent memory my expectations aren't going to be very high.  I see little to no difference between these 3 prospects and the 2 guys we drafted last year, both of whom we were receiving this much  hype this time last year.  I remember Dupre being herald as a first round talent that dropped to the 7th because of QB play (virtually the same excuse fans are making for ESB's junior season and slide in the draft). 

I think the chances of none of these guys even making the active roster this year is substantially higher than the chances of them going form a bottom of the draft caliber pick to NFL starting WR. 

At least 80% of the forum hated the Yancey selection. 

Dupre was never a 1st RD talent and never could create with the ball in his hands. 

I'll say it again, the biggest difference between the '18 WRs and '17 WRs are their ability to create yards after the catch. 

Also, if you think St. Brown fell to the 6th RD purely based on football ability, I don't know what to tell you. 

1 hour ago, SSG said:

Dupree took a nasty cheap shot in the preseason and never got a chance to show his abilities.

Yancey is slow and slow footed receivers can't thrive in this system because it's predicated on beating mismatches. That's why Jordy was not Jordy because he lost speed and couldn't separate like he used to.

Jimmy Graham replaced Jordy because he has the height and wingspan  to create mismatches. 

Archived