Will new WRs be better than last years rookies?

James Lofton

Just had a thought.

Belichick opened the way to creating new trends and mismatches. He did double TE sets and splitting them out wide to create size and speed advantages over CBs and LBs. He also went to the opposite end of the spectrum by having lots of smaller nippy receivers (including the RB) that were impossible to close down quickly enough. He was constantly stressing the defence in many different ways.

I wonder if McCarthy has identified an opportunity to lead a new trend by incorporating tall and fast receivers in every spot to create severe mismatches, it would be almost impossible to defend against. If successful it might lead to other teams trying to copy our blue print.

2 minutes ago, Chili said:

Just had a thought.

Belichick opened the way to creating new trends and mismatches. He did double TE sets and splitting them out wide to create size and speed advantages over CBs and LBs. He also went to the opposite end of the spectrum by having lots of smaller nippy receivers (including the RB) that were impossible to close down quickly enough. He was constantly stressing the defence in many different ways.

I wonder if McCarthy has identified an opportunity to lead a new trend by incorporating tall and fast receivers in every spot to create severe mismatches, it would be almost impossible to defend against. If successful it might lead to other teams trying to copy our blue print.

"500!"

I have to think our receiving core, including the newbies, will benefit from having Rodgers throwing to them in camp and during the season, as opposed to Hundley.  Last year was a difficult year to evaluate individual performances on the offense.  If Rodgers stays healthy at competes at his usual high level, then these new cats will hopefully get an opportunity to showcase their skills with the best in the business, which doesn't automatically ensure they'll see a lot of snaps in games, but it'll be enough to give MM and staff a good look at what they have to work with in the future. 

58 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Cory Rodgers, WR/PR Drafted April 2006

Cut on September 2nd 2006

But your point stands anyways

Yeah, Rodgers was off the charts awful... He couldn't catch a punt or run a route. It was like he hadn't played organized football since 8th grade.

10 hours ago, Joe said:

I think this is a debate that should wait until TC. However, I have to contend that maybe one of the three WR's we selected makes the final 53 unless we're worried about losing someone. Also, kinda curious as to the hate for Yancey; y'all know he was a rookie last year right? Trevor Davis will be cut. Heck, I'd cut him now so he has a chance of latching on with another team. Out of the three WR's we drafted, hypothetically, which moves to the slot?

I'm so hesitant to cut players on their rookie contracts just because it takes so long to develop anymore. With that said, Davis is definitely beginning to frustrate in GB. I think this summer is his last chance in the eyes of the coaching staff. Especially considering the punt return potential of Alexander. I personally wouldn't use Alexander in that role if he performs lights out, but that's another discussion. 

14 hours ago, Chili said:

Just had a thought.

Jordan Matthews was a pure slot guy in PHI

Archived