Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

IIRC, that was a pretty light hold on Jackson, but he did pull the jersey, which will get called.  

Overall he has had a good couple of games.  I was very much against drafting him when he was rumored to be our first round pick.  That subsequently made me not want to draft him at all, just out of spite.  So far, it looks like I was wrong about Mr. Jackson.

Iowa fan here, so take it with a grain of salt.

But Jackson only started 1 season at Iowa and played sparingly in his soph campaign.  He switched from WR the season before that.  We're talking about a guy who is coming out of college with just a bit more experience at CB than Sam Sheilds.

In the last 2 games we've seen Jackson play in the slot (he only did that at Iowa on a handful of snaps) and play a ton of man coverage (which his inability to do so is supposedly why he dropped to the 2nd.)  And he's looked natural while doing it.  

Jackson's play has surprised me just as much as anyone else, and I've had pretty high hopes for the guy.  He's still struggling with routes over the middle of the field, but the way he's taken to man coverage and a new position in the slot - don't be surprised to see this guy mentioned amongst the best in a few years.  

If our pass rush looks anything like it has this preseason he'll be taking multiple trips to the EZ this year.  

Theres no denying that Kumerow is racking up some impressive stats thru two games: 6 receptions on 10 targets for 190 yards and 2 TDs.

Not too shabby.....at all.

That acknowledged - I think its also safe to say he's not the quickest cat outta the box. Has he been racking any (or some) of this up against #1 DBs?
Has he got the goods to get open against #1 DBs?

Spriggs has been fine in camp and im the first 2 preseason games. He was fine in actual games last year save the Ravens game. This just all still stems from his awful preseason last year.

He's a 2nd round pick who played pretty well as a rookie, pretty well as a 2nd year guy and had the yips for some reason in year 2 preseason and was one of the worst OTs I've seen.

I'm totally ready to move on and trust him as the top backup at both LT and RT with little concern. He's a hell of a lot better than Marshall Newhouse, Don Barclay and Allen Barbre and we've weathered those storms.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Theres no denying that Kumerow is racking up some impressive stats thru two games: 6 receptions on 10 targets for 190 yards and 2 TDs.

Not too shabby.....at all.

That acknowledged - I think its also safe to say he's not the quickest cat outta the box. Has he been racking any (or some) of this up against #1 DBs?
Has he got the goods to get open against #1 DBs?

Don't think we've seen him vs other teams #1s, just Tramon and House in camp.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Spriggs has been fine in camp and im the first 2 preseason games. He was fine in actual games last year save the Ravens game. This just all still stems from his awful preseason last year.

He's a 2nd round pick who played pretty well as a rookie, pretty well as a 2nd year guy and had the yips for some reason in year 2 preseason and was one of the worst OTs I've seen.

I'm totally ready to move on and trust him as the top backup at both LT and RT with little concern. He's a hell of a lot better than Marshall Newhouse, Don Barclay and Allen Barbre and we've weathered those storms.

Blasphemy about Donny Barclay. Take it back. 

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I remember the Lions Bengals game last year that took the Lions out of the playoffs. It was 4th and 28 with the Lions down 2 all thanks to Don Barclay penalties

Perhaps thats why he's currently hanging around the French Quarter.

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

He's not been facing top-end guys in these two games, no.

He looked pretty slow on his TD.  He had a straight path to the end zone; was able to keep his step on the safety, but it looked like some big linebacker almost ran him down.  So straight-speed is obviously pedestrian, as his pre-draft numbers indicated.  

Lol.  If one of our rookies was having the preseason Kumerow is having, you'd be looking at tickets to Canton 20 years from now. 

MVS - 8 yard catch literally against a linebacker in coverage. 
MVS - 15 yard catch against Kalan Reed.
MVS - 20-ish yard catch against Kalan Reed. 
MVS - Deep completion against Demonstre Hurst.
MVS - TD catch against Darrius Sims.

It was all, "MVS has made the team..." "MVS looks so hot right now..." 

People want the potential over production because they assume that the production will match the potential.  It won't.  Moore, MVS and St. Brown probably all won't be making the final roster no matter how good they look because the NFL intelligence just isn't there yet.  Kumerow has a leg up against all of them based on two years of NFL experience. 

I just think a lot of people neglect how much NFL experience matters to Rodgers and McCarthy at the WR position, and I think a lot of people are underestimating how much it takes for players to get that intelligence up to the requisite levels for those two.  Jeff Janis has 4 years to get his intelligence to match his physical ability and never did. 

3 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

If the DC doesn’t get to bring up the guy he wants from the practice, and who he watches every day in practice, then something is terribly wrong here. 

I think it’s funny that all these sportswriters & fans are all of a sudden experts on all things-Reggie Gilbert when they wouldn’t have even known his name if management hadn’t brought him in & coaches developed him. And this all just based on a tiny handful of snaps against inconsistent levels of competition.

33 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Lol.  If one of our rookies was having the preseason Kumerow is having, you'd be looking at tickets to Canton 20 years from now. 

MVS - 8 yard catch literally against a linebacker in coverage. 
MVS - 15 yard catch against Kalan Reed.
MVS - 20-ish yard catch against Kalan Reed. 
MVS - Deep completion against Demonstre Hurst.
MVS - TD catch against Darrius Sims.

It was all, "MVS has made the team..." "MVS looks so hot right now..." 

People want the potential over production because they assume that the production will match the potential.  It won't.  Moore, MVS and St. Brown probably all won't be making the final roster no matter how good they look because the NFL intelligence just isn't there yet.  Kumerow has a leg up against all of them based on two years of NFL experience. 

I just think a lot of people neglect how much NFL experience matters to Rodgers and McCarthy at the WR position, and I think a lot of people are underestimating how much it takes for players to get that intelligence up to the requisite levels for those two.  Jeff Janis has 4 years to get his intelligence to match his physical ability and never did. 

You also have to take into account he's in his prime. He's older than Davante. You don't cut high ceiling guys because an older guy has hit his low ceiling.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

You also have to take into account he's in his prime. He's older than Davante. You don't cut high ceiling guys because an older guy has hit his low ceiling.

Cut them?  No.  You find ways to keep them without them being on the 53.  I just don't see Moore being on the 53 man roster this year.  Or ST. Brown.  MVS probably, but the other two?  I doubt it. 

The 53 man roster is about who can help you win the current year.  IR, PUP, practice squad are for those potential players that need time. 

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Cut them?  No.  You find ways to keep them without them being on the 53.  I just don't see Moore being on the 53 man roster this year.  Or ST. Brown.  MVS probably, but the other two?  I doubt it. 

The 53 man roster is about who can help you win the current year.  IR, PUP, practice squad are for those potential players that need time. 

Moore and St. Brown aren't making the PS and aren't hurt.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I have no more system "Likes" today - so I like this comment.

Archived