Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

8 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

If the DC doesn’t get to bring up the guy he wants from the practice, and who he watches every day in practice, then something is terribly wrong here. 

8 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

The gift of Dom keeps on giving!

Burks, Jackson, and Gilbert (TT) look to be players so far this preseason. Same with the young WRs and Free agents and Jaire has reportedly looked impressive. Love that. Its very early, but Gutey's first offseason is looking very encouraging and still has another 1st rounder to deliver value on.

Wish Biegel would turn the corner too.

1 hour ago, MantyWrestler said:

If the DC doesn’t get to bring up the guy he wants from the practice, and who he watches every day in practice, then something is terribly wrong here. 

Dom couldn't see practice from the booth

Given the state of our backup OTs right now, and conversely, our stable depth at OG, what would you do Week 1 right now if Bak/Buluga leave the game:

1. Go with Spriggs/Murphy and leave the other 4 guys where they are; or

2. Kick out Taylor or McCray to the open tackle position and plug the OG spot. 

You could make the argument right now our top 2 backup tackles are Taylor and McCray based on last year performances. 

18 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Burks, Jackson, and Gilbert (TT) look to be players so far this preseason. Same with the young WRs and Free agents and Jaire has reportedly looked impressive. Love that. Its very early, but Gutey's first offseason is looking very encouraging and still has another 1st rounder to deliver value on.

Wish Biegel would turn the corner too.

I was thinking the same thing this morning.  Add in Kizer, Wilkerson, and Graham and it really looks like he's made a lot of the right moves.  

Now, if he would go out and sign Eric Reid...

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Given the state of our backup OTs right now, and conversely, our stable depth at OG, what would you do Week 1 right now if Bak/Buluga leave the game:

1. Go with Spriggs/Murphy and leave the other 4 guys where they are; or

2. Kick out Taylor or McCray to the open tackle position and plug the OG spot. 

You could make the argument right now our top 2 backup tackles are Taylor and McCray based on last year performances. 

Murphy + Mercedes Lewis = one good tackle.  

Neither of the guards have the feet to handle speed off of the edge.  Spriggs is the only backup T with enough athleticism to handle speed, but he lacks the anchor. 

Maybe Spriggs + Rip shaded to his side would make for a decent tackle as well.  

I'd prefer to let the guards play their position.

Edit: I'll add - with Lewis lining up next to Murphy, you can still field an explosive offense.  Since he's such an elite blocker you can run the ball with success and still have 3 WR on the field at the same time. 

1 minute ago, Cheech said:

Murphy + Mercedes Lewis = one good tackle.  

Neither of the guards have the feet to handle speed off of the edge.  Spriggs is the only backup T with enough athleticism to handle speed, but he lacks the anchor. 

Maybe Spriggs + Rip shaded to his side would make for a decent tackle as well.  

I'd prefer to let the guards play their position.

I generally prefer not moving starters around as well, however, it may be the case that 

Taylor-Murphy/Bell-Linsley-McCray-Bulaga is a better "overall" product than 

Murphy/Spriggs-Taylor-Linsley-McCray-Bulaga 

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Murphy and Spriggs are just fine to get you out of a game or even a handful of them. 

Not like McCray is gonna be better out there plus then you have to find a guard 

Also, Spriggs is now coming off two very good games? What's the issue with him?

I'd definitely lean Spriggs if Bulaga goes down at RT. But what about LT? Think Spriggs-Taylor is better than Taylor-Murphy/Bell there? I think it's probably close. 

Taylor held down LT in limited action last year pretty well from what I remember. 

*Also, have we seen Spriggs at LT at all this preseason before the 4th quarter? One, it says something that Murphy is still ahead of him there given Murphy's inconsistent performances and two, hard to gauge how well Spriggs is performing there given the competition by that part in the game. I'd like to see him get some 1st/2nd team reps at LT early against Oakland to see how he holds up (but with Hundley in the game, not 12 ;)). 

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I'd definitely lean Spriggs if Bulaga goes down at RT. But what about LT? Think Spriggs-Taylor is better than Taylor-Murphy/Bell there? I think it's probably close. 

Taylor held down LT in limited action last year pretty well from what I remember. 

Not really, Taylor would need to be protected hardcore at LT. That's not a guy like Lang who was a real good athlete at Guard.

On 8/15/2018 at 9:08 PM, Greg C. said:

I thought Josh Jackson looked very good playing man-to-man coverage in the first preseason game, but there didn't seem to be much discussion about him afterwards. He did get a holding penalty, but it looked like a bad call on the replay. 

IIRC, that was a pretty light hold on Jackson, but he did pull the jersey, which will get called.  

Overall he has had a good couple of games.  I was very much against drafting him when he was rumored to be our first round pick.  That subsequently made me not want to draft him at all, just out of spite.  So far, it looks like I was wrong about Mr. Jackson.

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

See, I thought Murphy played better at RT last night.  Maybe MM just has to let Spriggs play on the left and Murphy on the right.  I know edge rushers can switch sides, but we still see speed on the left and power on the right for the majority of the defenses in the NFL.  

Archived