Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

These guys seem to think Alexander is better than Ward and they're not Packer fans. I'll be watching Alexander this camp, hope to see and hear great things. If this kid turns out to be on better than Ward while fleecing a number one from the Saints Gute needs to be GM of the year.

Even if durability is your concern, Monty provides more for the team in 8 games than Mays and Bouagnon do combined in 16. Plus, you can stash both of those two on the PS just fine and then sign them to the 53 whenever an injury occurs. No reason to cut Monty.

3 hours ago, Blink said:

I cant be the only one to think that we are far from knowing if any of the young guys are “seriously talented”.

Jones looked real good but was derailed by injuries

Williams had some impressive power runs, but overall had a poor YPC and has a lot to prove.

Mays fumbled immediately and never saw the field

Monty is good when healthy and has some return experience if I remember correctly.  I really don’t understand how anyone at this point could justify keeping Mays over Ty

Most said Mays had the best camp of all the rookie backs last season. His fumbling found him in the doghouse.

How many times have we heard MM talk about accountability ? Montgomery has near zero. The big thing is he isn't getting a second contract so he is dead man walking IMO. Plus you may need to keep an extra WR. Montgomery is just not worth the risk / reward of what may be a valuable roster spot

3 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Most said Mays had the best camp of all the rookie backs last season. His fumbling found him in the doghouse.

How many times have we heard MM talk about accountability ? Montgomery has near zero. The big thing is he isn't getting a second contract so he is dead man walking IMO. Plus you may need to keep an extra WR. Montgomery is just not worth the risk / reward of what may be a valuable roster spot

The point is what has Mays shown to be considered to be better in any way than Monty?  Accountability isn’t just about health, ball security is also incredibly important.  

If camp reports for bottom of he depth chart players then Hundley would be a good QB.

Monty has actually shown to be a solid contributor when healthy, considering Jones got injured last year I’m not sure why you’re so convinced he’s going to be healthy this year.

5 minutes ago, Blink said:

The point is what has Mays shown to be considered to be better in any way than Monty?  Accountability isn’t just about health, ball security is also incredibly important.  

If camp reports for bottom of he depth chart players then Hundley would be a good QB.

Monty has actually shown to be a solid contributor when healthy, considering Jones got injured last year I’m not sure why you’re so convinced he’s going to be healthy this year.

Did you even read my post ? Mays is on a rookie deal, and Monty won't get a second deal because he is always injured. 

You're not sure why I'm convinced Jones can be healthy - but you're convinced Monty can ?? Ooooooook

My point is you’re complaining that Monty has injury problems but are totally ok with going with basically just Jones/Williams next year and ignoring their injuries.

Monty is also on a rookie deal, the main difference is he’s shown to actually be productive, unlike Mays, and if he leaves in FA we could potentially get a comp pick out of it.

I literally see zero valid reasons why Mays would be on the roster instead of Montgomery, please explain to me what exactly about his 4 carries for 1 yard last year makes him a better option than Ty. Hint : you can’t and are just doing the typical “hype up random players who barely make the final roster and pretend they are a hidden gem”

Edit: Like another poster said: Ty will produce more in half a season than Mays will all year, it should be really telling to you that given all the RB issues last year he still couldn’t get on the field.

16 minutes ago, Blink said:

My point is you’re complaining that Monty has injury problems but are totally ok with going with basically just Jones/Williams next year and ignoring their injuries.

Monty is also on a rookie deal, the main difference is he’s shown to actually be productive, unlike Mays, and if he leaves in FA we could potentially get a comp pick out of it.

I literally see zero valid reasons why Mays would be on the roster instead of Montgomery, please explain to me what exactly about his 4 carries for 1 yard last year makes him a better option than Ty. Hint : you can’t and are just doing the typical “hype up random players who barely make the final roster and pretend they are a hidden gem”

Edit: Like another poster said: Ty will produce more in half a season than Mays will all year, it should be really telling to you that given all the RB issues last year he still couldn’t get on the field.

Link ?

26 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Did you even read my post ? Mays is on a rookie deal, and Monty won't get a second deal because he is always injured. 

You're not sure why I'm convinced Jones can be healthy - but you're convinced Monty can ?? Ooooooook

Mike Neal got a second deal. Nick Perry got a second deal. James Starks got a second deal. With all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about.

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Link ?

Mays has literally one career rushing yard to his name, Monty has multiple seasons worth of production.  It’s fairly obvious, and the onus is on you to prove he’s somehow more valuable than Ty.

It’s honestly sad that anyone would stick to this narrative lol 

17 minutes ago, Blink said:

Mays has literally one career rushing yard to his name, Monty has multiple seasons worth of production.  It’s fairly obvious, and the onus is on you to prove he’s somehow more valuable than Ty.

It’s honestly sad that anyone would stick to this narrative lol 

It's called projection. Happens all the time. 

Lane Taylor was projected to be an adequate starter. Therefore, Josh Sitton was expendable 

6 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Mike Neal got a second deal. Nick Perry got a second deal. James Starks got a second deal. With all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about.

You give those examples and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about ? Aaron Rodgers got a second deal too 9_9

20 minutes ago, cannondale said:

It's called projection. Happens all the time. 

Lane Taylor was projected to be an adequate starter. Therefore, Josh Sitton was expendable 

So what exactly are you looking at to justify this projection? Surely you must have some excellent reasoning to say Mays is a better player than Monty.

Id just love to hear it 

Like I said before, Mays is completely safe on the practice squad. No one is going to touch him when they have their own players to worry about during cutdowns. During preseason he still only averaged 2.7 ypc. He’s Dujuan Harris or John Crockett as RB3 until we actually see some evidence of him doing anything with pads on. All three of Williams, Jones, and Montgomery have made actual contributions to the team. We’re not going to cut a guy on his rookie deal who has made real contributions to make space for a PS-eligible guy with 1 yard to his name. Especially not because Montgomery gets injured too much. 

Guys look good in the offseason every year. Goodson was an offseason stud. So were Gunter and Rollins and Jayrone Elliott. It’s all fun to see when there’s no other football to watch and you’re hearing about these things through a handful of tweets a day from the beat guys. I put very little stock into it once the season rolls around and they actually have to play against other teams. It’s easy to look at something like the Lane Tayler situation and say “See, sometimes players that showed very little mature into starter-quality play”. But we actually had some evidence of that, it was the fact that the coaching staff saw fit to cut Sitton with only Tayler behind him. Here we have nothing. There’s nothing that the coaching staff has done at all to suggest that they value Mays more than any of the throwaway RB3s we’ve seen in years past and nothing we’ve seen to suggest that they don’t see Montgomery as a valuable asset to the team this season. 

4 hours ago, cannondale said:

Mays seems like the type of guy who would impress in workouts, but honestly he was not impressive in pad

Archived