Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

Thanks for the insights about EQ.

This one I really liked: "....I just don't care how he got there. I just know it won't work if something doesn't change"
Not discounting the past entirely - although it doesnt seem to be littered with egregious stuff like violence, drugs or whatever - he's my take: He's gone from being a big fish in a small bowl to a small fish in a big bowl. These "issues" he had back when - thats for the coaching staff to set right - and for EQ to realize their path is his path to a positive NFL future - so get on it.

I've seen diddly squat of the guy - certainly compared to many others - but the file folder I've got open and will put him in if I see he fits: Alshon. No, no, no....not making any production predictions - like EQs gonna match Jeffrey's numbers. Not all. Wouldnt go there - but style - method of movement. I think both are long striders - not sharp in the corners - but when they can get their legs stretched out..... Thats my initial take (or hope) at least. MVS and J'Mo are both probably "quicker" and maybe faster in a quick sprint - but I'm hoping EQ has the mits of Alshon and the length to go up and get the ball.

10 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Clever but the point remains. Sounds like he's having a good camp thus far, hopefully it translates to production on Sundays when it's real. Hope he can win outside against starting CBs.

He's not gonna win outside against alot of CBs - if he allows them to body him up against the sideline and make it another defender. He doesnt have the sprinters speed to run past them. But - if he fights for / adjusts / and gets inside position on those CBs - I like his chances. He's got the hands to snag the ball and the attitude to go get it. Contested maybe - but ARs got the gun to put the ball where it needs to be. Its Allisons job to give him that window. 

51 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Fair enough. Can you tell us which of the three newbies you liked best at that spot?

J'Mon is a taller, faster Adams if you have faith in your ability to teach the tree. That was a very simple tree he ran in college and he only played the left boundary. 

MVS has a Randy Moss type size/speed combo. His speed plays in pads also. There is some real upside here but he needs to develop his point game if he wants the rest to play up to his true ability. If he wants it bad enough and is willing to do the work he could be special. Worth the investment here in my opinion. 

12 minutes ago, palmy50 said:

J'Mon is a taller, faster Adams if you have faith in your ability to teach the tree. That was a very simple tree he ran in college and he only played the left boundary. 

MVS has a Randy Moss type size/speed combo. His speed plays in pads also. There is some real upside here but he needs to develop his point game if he wants the rest to play up to his true ability. If he wants it bad enough and is willing to do the work he could be special. Worth the investment here in my opinion. 

I was right around the guy that shot the video that made the rounds online of MVS vs Jaire in the 1-1 matchup where MVS runs the go. That is some real legit speed. Davis is fast, Janis was fast, I don't think their speed plays in pads quite as well from what I saw from MVS. Alexander is no joke when it comes to speed and he got right by him.

10 hours ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

Let's stop the snarky sarcasm for a moment and acknowledge the fact that Jones was one of the worst starters in the league last year, and that his mental deficiencies aren't easy to overcome .  

Who in the world are you referring to?

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I was right around the guy that shot the video that made the rounds online of MVS vs Jaire in the 1-1 matchup where MVS runs the go. That is some real legit speed. Davis is fast, Janis was fast, I don't think their speed plays in pads quite as well from what I saw from MVS. Alexander is no joke when it comes to speed and he got right by him.

That's great to hear. Love that we have a guy that can challenge Jaires speed in camp. 

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yup, kid can fly. I'd say his upside is every bit of that of J'Mon really. I had J'Mon a few rounds higher on my board but that had as much to do with the kid as it did the football player. Both were very sound value in my eyes.

42 minutes ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

How should I know?  I was drunk.  Josh Jones, presumably.  He makes me nervous.  Some things he did in college were shocking, as far as showing a lack of awareness goes.

Just remember that MANY felt the same way about Nick Collins his first two years in Green Bay. Then it slowed down for him and he became an All-Pro. I'm not saying that will happen with Jones but there is enough ability there that it could. 

15 minutes ago, palmy50 said:

Just remember that MANY felt the same way about Nick Collins his first two years in Green Bay. Then it slowed down for him and he became an All-Pro. I'm not saying that will happen with Jones but there is enough ability there that it could. 

I have hope for him, because he is such a good athlete, but many of these super aggressive types never really learn.  Baltimore drafted one a few years ago, and Jonathan Cyprien has never really overcome his lack of awareness or propensity for taking poor angles and missing tackles in general.  He definitely needs a plan.

1 minute ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

I have hope for him, because he is such a good athlete, but many of these super aggressive types never really learn.  Baltimore drafted one a few years ago, and Jonathan Cyprien has never really overcome his lack of awareness or propensity for taking poor angles and missing tackles in general. 

Not digging on the guy but I attribute those general traits to Brice. They're not insurmountable - but definitely hurdles at this stage (injuries not withstanding). You want a big hitter at that position - but he's gotta learn to tone it down enough to go thru the coverage checklist. I'm hopeful.

3 minutes ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

I have hope for him, because he is such a good athlete, but many of these super aggressive types never really learn.  Baltimore drafted one a few years ago, and Jonathan Cyprien has never really overcome his lack of awareness or propensity for taking poor angles and missing tackles in general.  He definitely needs a plan.

I agree with the plan they've had in place really. Like all rookies it started off simple last year and Jones excelled. As they added to his plate the grade slipped dramatically. You had to see what he was capable of though. I've been told they are gonna pull back a bit more this year and I'm sure he'll play better ball. Year three is often the year two jump for guys with IQ flags. 

Jones sure makes me view HaHa as a more valuable asset though. HaHa's issues have nothing to do with his brain. That man is brilliant. Maybe too smart for his own good at times. Sure is nice to have a guy like that next to Jones though.

Archived