2019 NFL Draft - Quarterbacks

AlNFL19

I think it may be time to talk about Steven Montez as a legitimate R1 QB. Great frame, athletic, good/great arm, very smart decision maker, calm in the pocket. He will get tons of love come draft time. I have Herbert QB1 with Montez QB2 right now. I think they could both be great, and IMO come draft time this 'weak' QB draft will be looked at very different. Both of these guys are potential franchise QBs.

5 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I think it may be time to talk about Steven Montez as a legitimate R1 QB. Great frame, athletic, good/great arm, very smart decision maker, calm in the pocket. He will get tons of love come draft time. I have Herbert QB1 with Montez QB2 right now. I think they could both be great, and IMO come draft time this 'weak' QB draft will be looked at very different. Both of these guys are potential franchise QBs.

Good to see that someone is paying attention

6 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Just because one is 6-5 + and athletic does not instantly make you a top of the line NFL QB.  I would be shocked to see Montez come out early, nice looking talent but for the up coming draft as a JR, I do not see that at all.  He has improved some but still has a ways to go, I feel he should come back for his senior year.  If he does come out he is not near the top of the QB lists I do not feel.  

Montez does play in a very QB friendly system that is very similar to a lot of systems in college.  Just look at Paxton Lynch, he looked great in college, big arm and very athletic kid.  Did not work out so well in the NFL so far obviously.  Even the QB before him at Colorado, Sefo Liufau and he is no longer in the NFL and he was very successful in college, sure some of that was injury issues but still. 

To me based on the field play, Will Grier is the #1 QB in the up coming draft I feel based on what he has shown so far this season.  Best in the pocket passer and has improved his mechanics and overall accuracy this year I feel.  But yeah obviously it is not a super strong QB draft and really one should be not selected till picks 20 and down.

Montez does play in a very QB friendly system that is very similar to a lot of systems in college.  Just look at Paxton Lynch, he looked great in college, big arm and very athletic kid.  Did not work out so well in the NFL so far obviously.  Even the QB before him at Colorado, Sefo Liufau and he is no longer in the NFL and he was very successful in college, sure some of that was injury issues but still. 

Ya, I dont think that CO is outrageously QB friendly, and I think teams are disregarding system play more and more, for better or worse. As for the Lynch comparison, I personally think Montez is a far more polished QB at this moment. He has a better release, isnt built like a NBA SF, plays in a tougher system than MEM (Albeit its no pro style), seems just to be way smarter than Lynch (Who came across like a guy that should be working at the front desk of a weed dispensary), and makes reads where Lynch was basically a guy that looked to his #1, looked to his check down then ran. Montez makes progressions, albeit again he is still developing.

I think he should stay around for another season but big, athletic kids with good heads on their shoulders get drafted, and early. Montez is not far from Josh Allen physically and on the field he is more polished IMO.

12 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Ya, I dont think that CO is outrageously QB friendly, and I think teams are disregarding system play more and more, for better or worse. As for the Lynch comparison, I personally think Montez is a far more polished QB at this moment. He has a better release, isnt built like a NBA SF, plays in a tougher system than MEM (Albeit its no pro style), seems just to be way smarter than Lynch (Who came across like a guy that should be working at the front desk of a weed dispensary), and makes reads where Lynch was basically a guy that looked to his #1, looked to his check down then ran. Montez makes progressions, albeit again he is still developing.

I think he should stay around for another season but big, athletic kids with good heads on their shoulders get drafted, and early. Montez is not far from Josh Allen physically and on the field he is more polished IMO.

Will see what happens with him.  And I agree he should come back for another year.  But I do remember last year people absolutely loving Nick Fitzgerald, and that talk has quieted quite quickly this year because of his play.  Again big tall athletic kid, people assume huge upside with him just based on that, when really he is an awful QB and can barely throw the football.  Has had a terrible year, sure Montez has produced better but has played much worse competition as well.  Has arguably not played one really good team all season, will see how he looks against USC and especially Washington the best defense he will face probably all year.  

I disagree, again look at Sefo, he did great and put up huge numbers in college in the same system Montez is running. As for the Josh Allen talk, no freaking way does Montez have the arm talent Josh Allen has, in no way does he.  Even Justin Herbert who has a good arm is nothing compared to Allen's rocket I feel.  Will see how he does when they actually play someone, sure the Nebraska win on the road was ok but obviously Nebraska has had some issues since then and showed they are lacking talent especially on defense.

18 hours ago, Ozzy said:

But I do remember last year people absolutely loving Nick Fitzgerald, and that talk has quieted quite quickly this year because of his play. 

Exactly... People were optimistic about Fitzgerald because he showed he has the physical tools needed to be a great NFL QB. His tape this year shows that he is not going to be an NFL QB, so people are no longer optimistic about him. The same logic applies to Montez. He has shown he has the tools to be a great NFL QB and his tape so far this year is showing that he absolutely can be that. Right now, based on what he has shown this season, Steven Montez is a QB that should get drafted in the 1st round.

On 10/1/2018 at 10:03 AM, BroncosFan2010 said:

I think as it stands right now Herbert is the only surefire Rd1 QB.  Which is scary on how much teams will overvalue him and overpay to get him.   

Stidham (game manager vibe), Grier (24 ugh), Lock & Thorson just do not excite me as franchise level guys.   None of them would have sniffed Lamar’s position last year.   I do hope Thorson stock stays low coming off ACL recovery at Rd3-4 he becomes intriguing for the risk - reward.  

Montez I defer to the local COL guys but I have huge issues with non elite conference pop up guys (1 year or less star power).    I really look forward to seeing him vs  WAS & WSU.  

4 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

Exactly... People were optimistic about Fitzgerald because he showed he has the physical tools needed to be a great NFL QB. His tape this year shows that he is not going to be an NFL QB, so people are no longer optimistic about him. The same logic applies to Montez. He has shown he has the tools to be a great NFL QB and his tape so far this year is showing that he absolutely can be that. Right now, based on what he has shown this season, Steven Montez is a QB that should get drafted in the 1st round.

I just flat out disagree with that.  Steven Montez has played four joke defensive units and sure make those units look bad, not hard to do.  I say again wait until he plays an actual defense and will see how he does, wait till Washington that will tell a lot.  USC will as well, will see when the schedule gets a little harder how successful he is.

There are some things one has to read between the lines, I thought Nick Fitzgerald was overrated last year, when he was playing well statistically even, based on his skill set and the offensive system he was did inflate his statistics along with other mechanical issues he had.  He did not make pro style throws and I do not believe at this point Montez makes pro style throws well enough to be a 1st round pick in 2019.  Sure it is a disagreement, will see as the season goes on how he does and if he can improve.  

There are some things one has to read between the lines, I thought Nick Fitzgerald was overrated last year, when he was playing well statistically even, based on his skill set and the offensive system he was did inflate his statistics along with other mechanical issues he had.  He did not make pro style throws and I do not believe at this point Montez makes pro style throws well enough to be a 1st round pick in 2019.  Sure it is a disagreement, will see as the season goes on how he does and if he can improve.  

I think accuracy isnt being taken into account in the Fitzgerald / Montez comparison. Nick has never been that accurate, even in a simply offensive system. He went 54, 55 and now 49. Montez was 60 in his first year as a starter and is an absurd 75 right now. I know it doesnt mean everything, but its such a night/day difference that it should be noted.

But as you said, just a simple disagreement on his current projection. The games against Washington / USC mean everything for him right now.

49 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I think accuracy isnt being taken into account in the Fitzgerald / Montez comparison. Nick has never been that accurate, even in a simply offensive system. He went 54, 55 and now 49. Montez was 60 in his first year as a starter and is an absurd 75 right now. I know it doesnt mean everything, but its such a night/day difference that it should be noted.

But as you said, just a simple disagreement on his current projection. The games against Washington / USC mean everything for him right now.

Paxton Lynch had a career completion percentage of 62%, Sefo Liufau 62% even Blaine Gabbert 60% and Steven Montez over his career is at 63%.  So what if they do not make a ton of pro style throws or difficult throws.  A high completion percentage does not always mean amazing accuracy all the time, rather easy throws potentially.  Just ask Sam Bradford the NFL all time single season passing percentage leader...again, so what it means nothing and that Viking team did nothing and won nothing and the offense just threw little passes and sure he completed them.  To me Laviska Shenault Jr his teammate has a much better chance this year to be a 1st round pick than Montez does. 

Will be very interesting to see what Montez does later in the year I agree, and to his credit he is wildly better than he was a few years ago.  When Sefo went out and he was a freshman late in the year against Washington and Ok State in the bowl game, he got in and flat out looked terrible and could do nothing offensively.  At least he is far and beyond that point now.   Still has a ways to go, and yeah sadly if he was not the size he is not many would be talking about him.  But being that size sure helps get one attention especially if you show any success what so ever.  

Logan Thomas, EJ Manuel, Mike Glennon, Terrelle Pryor, Brock Osweiler, John Skelton, Blaine Gabbert, Erik Ainge, Josh Freeman etc.  Yeah the NFL likes QBs who are big and show any inkling of a combo in passing ability, athletic ability or both.  To me Montez needs to show a lot more, and better yet come back as a senior and work on his game some more, unless he totally goes undefeated the rest of the year and rips up all the competition they play, which I highly doubt.

Same could be said for people that hyped up Nathan Stanley and Elijah Sindelar before the season, and I feel most of that was to do with their size and a few good throws they made.  That does not make a career, need to do a little more than just that.  Sure puts them on the radar but to me they are not that elite of talents just yet.  

Archived