DeShone Kizer

Golfman

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Davenport was jacked up the board because of a weak class. Look at next year's DL/EDGE class. He's not in the same league as most of the guys we're talking about as 2019 1st round guys.

Just like he isn't in the same league as Arden Key as a rusher at the beginning of last year? I don't doubt what you're saying is true, but we've seen this movie before with edge rushers. 

1 minute ago, Blink said:

I understand about comp picks, but I can’t be the only one who would take Kizer and moving up in rounds four and five over such a late comp.

You also get one more year of decent CB play out of Randall.

However, and this is maybe the more salient point, don't trade for Kizer and take a 3rd round pick instead of the 5th round value you got. 

22 minutes ago, Blink said:

It’s not just the learning curve, it’s also learning fast and well enough to supplant Haha/Brice/Jones for snaps.

He most likely will not beat any of those guys out, so why hold onto him if you can get Kizer and some draft capital?

Something for nothing IMO

Disagree with the evaluation of Randall vs. Brice and Jones at safety. 

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We got two real CB prospects this year that come with 4/5 years of team control to go along with another promising guy from last year. 

Randall had no future here, everyone doubted Gute and the CB position and here we sit, better off in 2018 than we were in 2017, with a ton of healthy cap room and 2 first round picks. 

I'm no blind follower by any means, but Gute has me 100% sold.

Explain to me how such a thing isn't possible with a Randall move to Safety? Or even why you're so sure all three of those guys are going to hit better than Randall?

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You also get one more year of decent CB play out of Randall.

However, and this is maybe the more salient point, don't trade for Kizer and take a 3rd round pick instead of the 5th round value you got. 

I guess we have different views of what’s decent.  IMO he would be 4th on the depth chart at best.

What do you mean by third round value?  You’re not suggesting Randall could have been traded for a 3rd are you?

Just now, Blink said:

I guess we have different views of what’s decent.  IMO he would be 4th on the depth chart at best.

What do you mean by third round value?  You’re not suggesting Randall could have been traded for a 3rd are you?

The draft picks ended up being something like the 133rd pick in the draft. The 133rd pick and Kizer couldn't equate to the 96th pick in the draft, or even the 101st if we're still trading to the Browns?

Maybe, maybe not.

Looks to me like they were intent at starting over at the position and one could argue the trade only existed as a way to get Kizer off the books.

I’m not going to just assume we could trade a player as poor as Randall for a third given how little return much better players have been traded for lately.

6 minutes ago, Blink said:

I think he's saying Randall would have played at a pro bowl level for us this year and we would have gotten a 3rd round comp.

10 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The draft picks ended up being something like the 133rd pick in the draft. The 133rd pick and Kizer couldn't equate to the 96th pick in the draft, or even the 101st if we're still trading to the Browns?

This is based on personal evaluation of Kizer’s value. GB , specifically McCarthy, views Kizer as a 1st rounder. So in “their” eyes they go better than just a third.

They got a 1st plus the value of moving up in rounds 4 and 5. Heck if you don’t want to even say he is a 1st rounder value... GB was heavily rumored to want to pick him in the second last year... still better then a third.

All of this discussion is based on personal evaluation. GB made the trade because their evaluation said it was good value, many on this board don’t see Kizer with high value.

Just now, Jaegybomb said:

Only the 4 biggest offseason moves last year were awarded 3rd round comps.

Instead of trading Randall, our 4th, and our 5th for Kizer, theri 4th and their 5th, you trade Randall for the 4th round pick. Much easier, simpler.

15 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Explain to me how such a thing isn't possible with a Randall move to Safety? Or even why you're so sure all three of those guys are going to hit better than Randall?

I just didn't have anywhere near the same grade on Randall as I did Alexander/Jackson. That was one of those picks I talked myself into after the draft. Jaire was my 2nd highest rated player other than LVE and Jackson my 1st when we picked.

I don't have any idea if they will pan out or not, but I have no idea if Randall will pan out or not and we're going into year 4. His peaks have been excellent, his valley's dreadful and there's been a lot of injuries and mediocre play in between. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Instead of trading Randall, our 4th, and our 5th for Kizer, theri 4th and their 5th, you trade Randall for the 4th round pick. Much easier, simpler.

Ah it was confusing when you said get 1 more year out of him and still get 3rd round value.

18 minutes ago, Blink said:

I  can't see this.  He was a substantially better player than King and House last year.  MAYBE one of the rookies has an extraordinary year but its highly doubtful that both do.  Also, chances are pretty good that Tramon Williams is the caliber player we've seen in 3 of his last 4 years and not what we seen last year when he had success in off man.  He looked like his NFL career was all but over while he played in Cleveland.  

People are dogging on Randall for one reason and one reason only.  He's no longer a Packer.  I  have no doubt there would be a substantial amount of optimism for his 2018 season if he was still here.  Because he's not, he's suddenly a terrible player and the guy whom we traded him for is an elite QB prospect despite being historically bad last year and the single biggest reason his team went winless.

Archived