This is America

Manny/Patrick

30 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

One element that really ruffled my feathers is how it tried to suggest that media tries sweeping the subject under the rug and it's like... No, that's literally the exact opposite of what the media does.  And... Like... This exact video is proof of that.  Lol. 

Actually, I'm just going to not say what I was going to say. There is no point in doing this here. 

29 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

One element that really ruffled my feathers is how it tried to suggest that media tries sweeping the subject under the rug and it's like... No, that's literally the exact opposite of what the media does.  And... Like... This exact video is proof of that.  Lol. 

Are you talking about gun control?  Because to me this video talks about gun violence, which to me is different than discussing gun control.  Everyone is anti-gun violence.  

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Are you talking about gun control?  Because to me this video talks about gun violence, which to me is different than discussing gun control.  Everyone is anti-gun violence.  

Well... No.  I'm trying to skirt the lines of what I can and cannot discuss on the video.  Basically, I think that the video tried to suggest that the media tries to sweep certain things under the rug.  I disagree, and I think the video is proof in and of itself that media does the exact opposite of sweep this stuff under the rug. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Well... No.  I'm trying to skirt the lines of what I can and cannot discuss on the video.  Basically, I think that the video tried to suggest that the media tries to sweep certain things under the rug.  I disagree, and I think the video is proof in and of itself that media does the exact opposite of sweep this stuff under the rug. 

What part of the video are you thinking comments on the media?  Because I didn't pick that up but maybe I'm missing something.  I haven't read any analysis on the video though.

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

That was my second mistake.  First mistake was watching the video. 

Haha I like the video.  I got the song stuck in my head too, and found myself going back and watching it a few more times.  So then I went to spotify and checked out some of his other songs, which I didn't like at all lol.  

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I think it goes deeper than that. Its also a social commentary on how these shootings occur and then as a public its at the forefront for a brief time before going back to the background again. So I guess, less lack of media coverage and more as a whole people just move onto the next thing and become easily distracted while the issues persist behind the scenes. 

12 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I think it goes deeper than that. Its also a social commentary on how these shootings occur and then as a public its at the forefront for a brief time before going back to the background again. So I guess, less lack of media coverage and more as a whole people just move onto the next thing and become easily distracted while the issues persist behind the scenes. 

I see this as well. I think its a satire of the entirety of it all. The beauty here is that it just SHOWS you. It doesn’t do much to TELL you. Very much is simply saying THIS IS AMERICA and it lets you determine what America is. It’s less social commentary and more of a social mirror IMO. You can see what you want to see.

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I think the point of the video is just to get people talking about these issues, in which case they have succeeded.  

People have been talking about these issues ad infinitum, mostly into their own echo chambers or amongst peers who already agree with them.

What there hasn't been is actual civil dialogue between people, or groups of people, who disagree yet are both seeking positive change.

Let me just say I thought the Direction and visuals of the video we're done very well.

it's the message behind the video that annoys me. And before someone goes off the deep end, I'm not saying that none of the messages were relevant... but it ignores very real facts and paints a false narrative in the name of social justice.

For instance, without getting into much detail, it calls out how one certain group supposedly treats another, while completely ignoring facts and a much bigger issue. But that's what the mainstream media does... just bend everything to fit their agenda.

Archived