Starting Safeties

the lone star

I think the Cowboy's will line up Awuzie and Jone's on the outside and Lewis ends up in the slot. My gut feeling is that Anthony Brown doesn't make this years squad after a sub par year last year and the measurements that new coach Kris Richards like Brown doesn't fit the bill. Don't sleep on Xavier Woods as a slot defender also, some of these secondary players have a lot of flex. As for safety I see Heath, Frazier and Tyree Robinson a true free safety. And if they go deeper in the secondary look for competition between Marquize White and Kameron Kelly with Charvarious Ward on the practice Squad.

Anthony Brown is working as the 3 CB right now with Lewis behind him. I can see Lewis eventually winning that job, but I can't see Brown falling all the way to 6th or 7th CB and thus not make the team.

1 hour ago, cowboysdreamer said:

I think the Cowboy's will line up Awuzie and Jone's on the outside and Lewis ends up in the slot. My gut feeling is that Anthony Brown doesn't make this years squad after a sub par year last year and the measurements that new coach Kris Richards like Brown doesn't fit the bill. Don't sleep on Xavier Woods as a slot defender also, some of these secondary players have a lot of flex. As for safety I see Heath, Frazier and Tyree Robinson a true free safety. And if they go deeper in the secondary look for competition between Marquize White and Kameron Kelly with Charvarious Ward on the practice Squad.

Barring injuries, I don't think bolded is going to matter much going forward. Guys are going to get a position and stick there...ie Woods will be FS and that's it. Byron will be CB and that's it. 

23 hours ago, DaBoys said:

I never said exclusively so I won't argue that.

He WAS our STARTING slot CB over the last few games. About the time Kavon Frazior started getting more looks at safety with Heath.

I know he covered the slot a bit, especially out of necessity once Scandrick got hurt.

But he definitely played a ton of safety last year. He's listed as a safety on our depth chart. He's been running with the 1s at safety in practice. And we are deep at CB, while thin at safety.

The tea leaves are pretty clear on this one. 

1 minute ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I know he covered the slot a bit, especially out of necessity once Scandrick got hurt.

But he definitely played a ton of safety last year. He's listed as a safety on our depth chart. He's been running with the 1s at safety in practice. And we are deep at CB, while thin at safety.

The tea leaves are pretty clear on this one. 

Why are you still going on? Go find something else to do. I have already stated he will be moving to safety this year with Byron moving over.

I'm sorry your memory is failing you but he was our starting slot CB for the last month of last year. Fact. Thats how he ended the season. Go re watch the games.

"... may sound crazy, but I think the real reason the Dallas Cowboys didn't show much interest in Tyrann Mathieu is because of Xavier Woods.

I honestly believe Xavier Woods and Tyrann Mathieu have a similar skill set. Both players are little undersized to be a full-time safety in the NFL, but each of them have the versatility to play several different roles in the secondary.

Mathieu may have been listed as a safety on the Arizona Cardinals roster, and now the Houston Texans, but the truth is he played mostly out of the nickel/slot in his professional and collegiate career. That is where he is at his best, and the same can be said about Xavier Woods."

22 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Why are you still going on? Go find something else to do. I have already stated he will be moving to safety this year with Byron moving over.

I'm sorry your memory is failing you but he was our starting slot CB for the last month of last year. Fact. Thats how he ended the season. Go re watch the games.

You are the one who asked within the last week why people are penciling him in at safety. I was answering the question you asked...

31 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

You are the one who asked within the last week why people are penciling him in at safety. I was answering the question you asked...

I apologize. Idk why I said that. I didn't get much sleep last night. That was grumpy and rude of me.

22 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Barring injuries, I don't think bolded is going to matter much going forward. Guys are going to get a position and stick there...ie Woods will be FS and that's it. Byron will be CB and that's it. 

Did I hit a nerve you seem so upset with my comments, all I'm trying to say is the Cowboy's love flex and there's a lot of competition in the secondary this year and a new coach to impress, you can't live on your laurels.

3 hours ago, cowboysdreamer said:

Did I hit a nerve you seem so upset with my comments, all I'm trying to say is the Cowboy's love flex and there's a lot of competition in the secondary this year and a new coach to impress, you can't live on your laurels.

I don't see where Wiz said anything abrasive. 

Richard doesn't seem as focused on position flex (thankfully), so I wouldn't expect to see Jones move back to safety, Awuzie working at safety while also trying to get better at corner, etc.

40 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

So how many years do we think Heath is a starter for this team? They don't seem to be actively trying to replace him imo. 

At least for this year.

5 hours ago, DaBoys said:

So how many years do we think Heath is a starter for this team? They don't seem to be actively trying to replace him imo. 

I think this year and next- the remainder of his contract. Then he's 29 and they probably let him go.

Archived