Starting Safeties

the lone star

Is it official that Woods will play safety? All off season people here have penciled him in as a starting safety. Seemingly disregarding the fact that he played slot corner for us all year. He was our starting slot CB for the final month of the season. I know Byron is moving over and we have Lewis and Chido, so it makes sense to move Woods back to safety. But I haven't heard anything official.

1 minute ago, DaBoys said:

Is it official that Woods will play safety? All off season people here have penciled him in as a starting safety. Seemingly disregarding the fact that he played slot corner for us all year. He was our starting slot CB for the final month of the season. I know Byron is moving over and we have Lewis and Chido, so it makes sense to move Woods back to safety. But I haven't heard anything official.

Everything Stephen has been saying seems to indicate they want him at safety - but like you said, I don't think they've said anything officially.

From SJ...

”But we certainly haven’t ruled out continuing to look for somebody that could step up back there and compete with Xavier for that free safety spot.”

I take that as Woods is officially FS. 

I think Woods and Heath man starting spots. Frazier and Kelly/FA pick up complete depth chart. 

I no longer believe ET ends up in Dallas or any of remaining FA safeties end up in Dallas.  

"Just a note on how the defense lined up in first nickel: Chidobe Awuzie, Byron Jones on the outside and Anthony Brown in the slot. With Jeff Heath and Xavier Woods at safety. Jourdan Lewis played both on the outside and in the slot with the second group. I was worried that with the new secondary coach that maybe Lewis would not get enough opportunities, but I thought he was outstanding."

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

"Just a note on how the defense lined up in first nickel: Chidobe Awuzie, Byron Jones on the outside and Anthony Brown in the slot. With Jeff Heath and Xavier Woods at safety. Jourdan Lewis played both on the outside and in the slot with the second group. I was worried that with the new secondary coach that maybe Lewis would not get enough opportunities, but I thought he was outstanding."

That's good to hear. Richard definitely seems to like Lewis despite his size, and I think it's because of how he plays. Not worried at all that he'll get his opportunities. 

5 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

That's good to hear. Richard definitely seems to like Lewis despite his size, and I think it's because of how he plays. Not worried at all that he'll get his opportunities. 

I would think he could steal that job from Brown very soon. Very surprised he is starting off as the 2nd teamer, but I don't expect that to last.

1 minute ago, DaBoys said:

I would think he could steal that job from Brown very soon. Very surprised he is starting off as the 2nd teamer, but I don't expect that to last.

Agreed. I think by the time camp opens up, Jones / Awuzie / Lewis will be our top three.

On 5/25/2018 at 10:38 AM, DaBoys said:

I don't know what the snap breakdown was, but if you look at his highlights, most of them came at safety. He was definitely not exclusively a slot corner.

28 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I don't know what the snap breakdown was, but if you look at his highlights, most of them came at safety. He was definitely not exclusively a slot corner.

I never said exclusively so I won't argue that.

He WAS our STARTING slot CB over the last few games. About the time Kavon Frazior started getting more looks at safety with Heath.

I've seen him compared to Mathieu in that he is listed as a safety but actually spends a lot of time at slot CB.

BUT it appears he is going to be a more true safety this year with Byron moving over.

Archived