Tennis Thread

DoleINGout

Anisimova beat's Osaka again. Still only 20 and after some injuries is on the way back. I love her game and think she'll be a star. Iga has this whole year for the taking, but I think sometime next year she finally have a challenger

27 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Anisimova beat's Osaka again. Still only 20 and after some injuries is on the way back. I love her game and think she'll be a star. Iga has this whole year for the taking, but I think sometime next year she finally have a challenger

Swiątek or Barty? (If she hadn't retired obviously)

Just now, mse326 said:

I think the Swiatek of right now is better than Barty was. But Barty would have been a challenger for sure.

What's your take on Raducanu?

The British media have an obsession with overhyping our athletes only to immediately tear them down after they fail. Although in Raducanu's case the media refuse to criticise her at all.

Having watched her at the US Open and a few times since, to me she's a limited player who went on an incredible streak never to be repeated.

1 hour ago, UKTexans said:

What's your take on Raducanu?

The British media have an obsession with overhyping our athletes only to immediately tear them down after they fail. Although in Raducanu's case the media refuse to criticise her at all.

Having watched her at the US Open and a few times since, to me she's a limited player who went on an incredible streak never to be repeated.

Definitely getting a bit overhyped after the US Open. She didn't really have play anyone. She's still only 19 so she can absolutely get better but I see her best case scenerio as a Caroline Wozniaki. She doesn't really hit big at all. So it will have to be her defense and variety. She isn't at Woz's level of those yet but it's possible. Once she gets more consistent with it I can see fairly consistent ventures in the 2nd week of majors but she'll struggle against top players. I think she can hover around a top 10 player and maybe get near top 5 with a couple of good tournaments in a given year. My best guess of what she will be is a bit worse than that, probably a steady 15-20 ranked player that can pose some difficulties and pull off a couple of upsets here or there but never someone the top players will really be scared of. Something like Wozniaki or Radwanska lite

29 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Definitely getting a bit overhyped after the US Open. She didn't really have play anyone. She's still only 19 so she can absolutely get better but I see her best case scenerio as a Caroline Wozniaki. She doesn't really hit big at all. So it will have to be her defense and variety. She isn't at Woz's level of those yet but it's possible. Once she gets more consistent with it I can see fairly consistent ventures in the 2nd week of majors but she'll struggle against top players. I think she can hover around a top 10 player and maybe get near top 5 with a couple of good tournaments in a given year. My best guess of what she will be is a bit worse than that, probably a steady 15-20 ranked player that can pose some difficulties and pull off a couple of upsets here or there but never someone the top players will really be scared of. Something like Wozniaki or Radwanska lite

I had her down as a Radwanska type, if she can get some consistency. 

Will probably make it to a lot of 4th rounds but doesn't have the tools to hurt better players.

The hype in the UK is unreal, every victory is glorious redemption from the vitreous criticism and each defeat (which shortly follows) is a tale of bad luck and other woes. Annoys me no end.

I would take Barty at her best over Iga at her best. Barty just has so many more weapons. Has the better serve and Barty would slice her to death to force her to hit a lot of shots that Iga would be uncomfortable with. 

Raducanu will have a career like Ostapenko. Won a grand slam then go on to have a pretty average career. She got on a hot streak at the best time and won it all we seen this happen a hand full of times in the WTA. 

Edited by agarcia34

3 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Zverev out there getting taken to school early on. This would be one of the worst losses of his career if he doesn’t turn it around. 

Nice come back win for Zverev. 

Alcaraz realizing what it’s like playing with expectations now.