2nd year players most likely to breakout as STARS in 2018?

VanS

On 6/4/2018 at 1:05 PM, Spartacus said:

Homer pick but I think Aaron Jones has a chance. On 81 rushes last year he had 441 yards and 4 TDs, 5.5 Y/A. Tied for 11th for most 20+ yard carries on by far the least attempts. He also showed a little bit of ability catching the ball out of the backfield. He will have every chance to be the Packers #1 RB this year. 

I hope so. I was a big believer pre-draft that he was going to be great. He was clearly better than Williams or Montgomery at running the ball. Hopefully he improved his pass protection. 

I traded Alex Collins for him in dynasty...right now it’s looking like a mistake, but I do believe in his talent. 

6 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

For the Saints: Kamara, Ramczyk, and Lattimore already great. I think it will be Marcus Williams...he’ll be one of the best FS in the game next year. 

Speaking of 2nd year Free Safeties, I think several will breakout next season.  I liked all these guys before the draft and think they have Pro-Bowl potential.

• John Johnson (Rams)
  • Marcus Maye (Jets)
  • Marcus Williams (Saints)
  • Eddie Jackson (Bears)
  • Xavier Woods (Cowboys) 

The 2017 NFL Draft will go down as one of the best safety drafts in NFL history. 

Colts 

Malik Hooker - once fully recovered from his injuries and if he plays anywhere near how he did in his limited 2017 season he should be phenomenal

Quincy Wilson - He finally admitted that he wasn’t getting playing time early last year because he wasn’t physically or mentally ready for the NFL. Late in the season when he was forced into action he was starting to show signs of what he can do

Tarell Basham - Coming out of a 4-3 D at Ohio he struggled to convert to a 3-4 OLB. Now that the Colts have switched back to 4-3 he is seeing snaps with the first team D. Having Robert Mathis on staff as a pass rush coach can only help. 

Marlon Mack - The Colts running game is going to change in Reich’s system similarly to the Eagles.

Hypothetically,  Turbin would be the goal line/short yardage guy, Hines would handle a lot of the receiving downs and either Christine Michael or Jordan Wilkins would take care of inside runs. That leaves a lot of off tackle and outside runs to Mack.

30 minutes ago, Shady Slim said:

@stallyns what was the deal with mack last year? i did not watch too many colts games but i know he was used to some degree, was it as a role player or

Only had 2 games with 10 plus carries (10,11) had a few games with less then 5 carries. Missed getting 100 yards against SF (9 carries 91 yards) 

We were competitive in almost every game (ie we lost the lead) and so we didn’t get to rest the vets at the ends of games to give the rookies extra snaps. 

In 2016 the Colts had 6 rushes of 20+ yards. In 2017 Marlon Mack had 8 himself. 

On the other side of the coin, Mack missed some blocking assignments and wasn’t great receiving either. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2018 at 4:45 PM, UKChief said:

It has to be Pat Mahommes for the Chiefs or we’re in for a looooong season.

but I’d also love KPass to step up and become a legit 2nd option to Houston off the edge. He’s got the tools so stranger things have happened 

Long season? How about long 30 years lol. 

KPass is apparently having one of the best camps of anyone with the Chiefs. He was drafted as a project and he rarely played last year. He is a physical freak. 

• 2 weeks later...

LB Dylan Cole (Texans) looks like an absolute STUD.  I just watched the Texans/Chiefs game and he was flashing big time.  Last year he played well before the hamstring injury.  This year he has taken his game to another level.  Before the draft, I compared him to Zach Thomas because of his size and build.  The more I watch him now, the more I think he can potentially reach that level of player.

Dylan Cole could be an All-Pro/Pro-Bowl caliber player very soon.  He's looking very impressive to me.

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

TE's OJ Howard and David Njoku. Also I expect Corey Davis to tear it up. My favorite DT from last year was Caleb Brantley, so I'm hoping he steps up in a big way this year.

Yeah Njoku looks like he's set for a monster year.  I had Evan Engram rated higher than him going into the 2017 draft.  I now believe Njoku will be better.  He looked really good last week.  Excited to see what he does this year.  

5 hours ago, VanS said:

Yeah Njoku looks like he's set for a monster year.  I had Evan Engram rated higher than him going into the 2017 draft.  I now believe Njoku will be better.  He looked really good last week.  Excited to see what he does this year.  

As a rookie Engram was already a top 5 TE.  

6th in receptions

5th in yards

7th in TDs

3rd in 20+ gains

As a whole only Gronkowski, Kelce, and Ertz had better seasons.  He’s quite literally on the verge of breaking into that group and being a STAR.  Yet he’s the least mentioned TE in this thread.  With OBJ and Barkley drawing attention this year, Engram is going to destroy single coverage.

Archived