2018 FIFA World Cup Group A & Group B

LeeEvans

24 minutes ago, The Hitch said:

They don't though. Spain's games were 8pm Friday 8pm Wed and 8pm Monday. 

Its a business at the end of the day and Fifa makes sure its main European markets - England, Germany, Spain, get the prime time slots

Meh. France is playing at 4pm local time tomorrow and played Peru at 5pm and Australia at noon a Saturday, and it is probably a bigger market than Spain.

Excited about Iran Portugal. I had Iran going through from the beginning, I hope they do it! Spain winning against Morocco is not a gimme either.

Also, should Portugal win their group, their half of draw could be

Russia/Uruguay 

Croatia/Denmark

Switzerland (possibly Brazil or Serbia though)/Mexico (most likely)/England or Belgium/Japan (most likely)

Kind of reminds me of the 2016 Euro when Croatia and Belgium were the only good teams in Portugal half. Italy, Germany, England, Spain and France were on the other half.

1 hour ago, TedLavie said:

Meh. France is playing at 4pm local time tomorrow and played Peru at 5pm and Australia at noon a Saturday, and it is probably a bigger market than Spain.

I was in France for the first game and 12 pm on the first Saturday of the WC is not an inconvenient time there. 5 pm on a Thursday not that much either. 

The third group game cant be helped. They do it on a group by group basis. 

Interesting that Uruguay are going to be playing a 3-5-2 that I dont think I've ever seen them play. 

Russia also resting some players on yellow cards which is interesting. I would think you would want to win this match to try and win the group as get, presumably, Portugal in the next match.

1 minute ago, drd23 said:

Terrible bit of keeping by Akinfeev

It wasn't great, I give him a little bit of a pass because he definitely saw it late but getting beat on his side is never great.

The early goal should make this a good game.

Akinfeev unlucky on the second.  There's not much you can do when it deflects that much

9 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

The early goal should make this a good game.

Reckon the second goal will mean it won't be now

VAR confirmed a penalty in the Egypt/Saudi Arabia match. I feel like it was a penalty, but him coming back and giving a yellow card? It was pretty soft foul anyways, though incredibly stupid by the Egypt player. This match has been pretty sloppy thus far.

Archived