Free Agency Thread

resilient part 2

Tell ya true - I'm not a big Melo fan. Seems to me at this stage of his career (even moreso than before) he's become a set offense animal: "Give me the ball and clear out". Problem is he can create less and less..... Not sure I want to get tied into Melo for any big bucks - most certainly length of time.

But maybe San Antonio would like to have him after a pitstop in LA?

:)

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He's their only good defender, maybe you could argue Paul George. But they're not going to be great defensively.

They were tenth in DRTG during the regular season last year. Adams/Grant are good defenders and Noel is intriguing. And they were playing with Melo last year. I'd expect an improvement on an already good defensive team. 

3 minutes ago, champ11 said:

They were tenth in DRTG during the regular season last year. Adams/Grant are good defenders and Noel is intriguing. And they were playing with Melo last year. I'd expect an improvement on an already good defensive team. 

Weren't they top 5 before Roberson went out? Roberson/PG duo is as good of a duo as there is on the perimeter. And now PG won't have to guard the opposing team's best defender so he will be even more active in the passing lanes. This is no doubt one of the best defensive teams in the league. 

Edit:

For starters, there’s this: Oklahoma City’s starters (Russell Westbrook, George, Anthony, Steven Adams) are +14.8 this season per 100 possessions in net rating with Roberson on the floor. They are +1.8 without him. It is a devastating differential.

The Thunder were fifth in defensive rating (points allowed per 100 possessions) going into the game Roberson was injured. Since then? They rank 17th.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nba/article/why-oklahoma-city-thunder-are-struggling-without-andre-roberson

So yeah, no reason for them not to be a top 5 defensive team with Roberson returning and Grant replacing Melo. And that's an insane net rating for the starters. Better than the Rockets/Warriors starters. 

28 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Just send him to the Lakers for Luol Deng.

Here's the way it'll work........
LAL meet Melo when he arrives at LAX Airport:

"Melo! Good to see ya man....hey a slight change in plans. Here's a ticket to San Antonio - and if you look (pointing to the Departures Board) - there's a flight leaving Gate 92 in about a half hour - so if you run - can you still run? - you'll make it. Oh - and look for Luol Deng. He's at the gate already and will be traveling with you"  :)

42 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Just send him to the Lakers for Luol Deng.

Contracts don’t work. Lakers would have to add to it and that means adding 2 of their young guys and they won’t do that. 

No team is going to trade for him when they know the thunder are going to cut him. Why over pay and help the thunder at the same time. 

13 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Lmao please sign him Houston. Just makes our trip to the finals even easier. 

#dubsnation

Plus they just signed Michael Carter-Williams. Them boys already conceding a trip to the finals. SMH!

58 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He's their only good defender, maybe you could argue Paul George. But they're not going to be great defensively.

What?

OKC was an elite defense before Roberson went out. 

Roberson and George are maybe the best tandem on defense (perimeter) in the entire NBA. The combination of the talent and length between them is ridiculous. 

And then Adams is a top 5 defensive center IMO at worst. Guys a monster. Somehow still remains underrated. And then Jeremi Grant is solid to pretty damn good himself. 

I assume that the starting 5 will be Russ-Roberson-George-Grant-Adams. Thats maybe the best starting line up defensively in the league. Russ is the weak link in that regard between them, but hes not someone who has to be hidden by any means. He Actually brings it some nights on D too. But I love this lineup around Russ because its full of guys who can get you 15-20 pts a night (more in PG's case, and Roberson isnt as big a liability on offense as people think. Hes been improving every year, and his size is a big advantage in the post), and with 3 guys in PG, Roberson, Grant who with great length and athleticism who can all switch positions. Plus theres that dude Steven Adams. To quote someone I hate very much, Stephen A Smith, "He is a BAD, BAD MAN!!!!". 

Anyway, as someone who roots for OKC as sort of my mistress team to my wife team (Philly), Im so happy that we will be rid of Melo. 

He is the definition of addition by subtraction. And I like the Noel pick up a lot actually. I think hes a great backup to Adams. OKC should be able to finally be the team that lets Noel play the way he should play 

Archived