2018 Draft Eligible QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Mayfield is to me a guy that matches up very well with what Shanny has shown to look for out of quarterbacks in the past

What has shanny shown to look out for in QB's I always thought it was the pro-style offense that was a big thing with him. 

12 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

What has shanny shown to look out for in QB's I always thought it was the pro-style offense that was a big thing with him. 

I was talking from an attribute perspective with mayfield. Accurate, smart, pocket passer, etc as being a match with shanny. 

His preference in drafting qbs is certainly pro style (cousins was his guy, now beathard) but I don't know if thats a deal breaker or not. Like i said, if it is, you're immediately excluding a lot of quarterbacks. 

The jury is still out for me on Lamar Jackson, yet. He's an extremely streaky QB. When he's hot, he's spot on. When's he rattled, everything is way off. I worry about his poise in the pocket because he's always watching the pass rush, and if he ever sees a chance to run or even the slightest pass rush he's taking off. What's going to happen in the NFL is he's going to take a lot of shots (he has the ability to avoid a lot of shots, but also likes to take guys on), and DL's are going to push their OL into him, knocking him to the ground. He's also around 6'3 210 lbs or so they say, and I worry about his size. His actual limbs are tiny, which means he likely can't put on a whole lot of good weight.

I mean, Louisville almost lost to Purdue. It was 13-21 with around 6:00 to go at half. It was 3rd down and Jackson ran out of bounds 1 yard short of the 1st Down. The refs made a terrible spot, and gave it to him. The review claimed they couldn't overturn it. That resulted in a TD drive, then IIRC Purdue came out and threw a pick 6. Suddenly Louisville was up, Purdue was reeling, and things got a little out of hand. But it was really started by a bad call from the ref, and a terrible play by Jackson getting out early when he could've easily had the first. And it's not like the Offense was putting up a lot of points with 13 with 6:00 to go in the 3rd Quarter.

If you want to box score scout, which I think is good for context, Jackson hasn't had very good completion %'s with 56.2% in 2016 and 54.7% in 2015. I really wonder how well he'd pass if he couldn't constantly bring the Defense up with his running ability to open up the pass. His game in college is really dependent on him running the ball, and that's not something we've seen translate well to the NFL long-term. I think Lamar Jackson is high-risk, high-reward, but the chance of him busting is very high, much like Johnny Manziel (although Manziel had the off-the-field problems). So right now, I have to give the edge to QB's like Sam Darnold. If other QB's don't get it together or a bunch of guys go back, though, then maybe I become a little more comfortable taking the risk. It's a long season, but I think Jackson's value has a lot more to do with other QB's failing than his own ability.

I wouldnt worry too much about Jacksons size look at him and how he finishes runs, he's only 20, he's bulked up a lot since last year and is not one to get tossed around, there was a play where he threw #97 off him in the pocket and evaded a couple other tackles for a first down. I looked up that #97 his name is Jalen Dalton 6'6" 295lbs DEnd...I'll try and find a video

The play I'm talking about is at ~4:52

4 hours ago, RandomCampBody said:

What does pro style even mean anymore when evaluating college QB's, people get far too caught up in playing under center.

I just look for fast eyes, consistent ball placement and the ability to improvise. People complicate quarterback evaluating in my opinion. 

5 hours ago, RandomCampBody said:

What does pro style even mean anymore when evaluating college QB's, people get far too caught up in playing under center.

It's relevant if that's the type of guy your hc is looking for. I don't know that he discounts guys who play exclusively out of the shotgun or not, that's what 48 1/2 was asking. I don't know why he would do that...far too limiting 

51 minutes ago, DraftHobbyist said:

I think this is a very damaging week for Luke Falk. He goes out with a concussion, and then his backup comes in, outperforms him, and wins the game in triple OT. The system concerns are going to really flare up now.

It's been a major issue of mine for a while now. Most the 49er fans who hang in our forum know that I basically have a war on that system lol. It's always a major issue of mine for guys who come out of that system style. I wasn't really a fan last year; had him with a very late round grade, similar coming into the season, though I was impressed with some of the throws he made as I watch more tape. But I really think it can be hard to trust what you see with those guys coming out of that system. 

10 hours ago, Forge said:

Nope, neither is Rudolph. I don't know how much that will factor into it for Shanny though. Mayfield is to me a guy that matches up very well with what Shanny has shown to look for out of quarterbacks in the past, with the exception of the pro style offense. But if he's requiring that out of prospects, that eliminates a ton of potential quarterbacks in next years draft. You're talking Rudolph, Falk, Mayfield, it goes on.

Mayfield rates right up there as a short field passer with high leadership character and off the charts intangibles, however, his arm strength is a question mark and the throw I remember most from last night's game was a deep pattern where the ball came up real short to a wide open receiver which luckily caused a pass interference call. That throw exposed Mayfield's question marks and took him out of any round 1 discussion for me. He will need to play in a WCO in the NFL which won't ask him to throw the ball down field too often. Andy Reid would be the perfect HC for him.

Just now, Iamcanadian said:

Mayfield rates right up there as a short field passer with high leadership character and off the charts intangibles, however, his arm strength is a question mark and the throw I remember most from last night's game was a deep pattern where the ball came up real short to a wide open receiver which luckily caused a pass interference call. That throw exposed Mayfield's question marks and took him out of any round 1 discussion for me. He will need to play in a WCO in the NFL which won't ask him to throw the ball down field too often. Andy Reid would be the perfect HC for him.

Reid would certainly work, but he's not the only one. I mean, at this point, Shanny has made RG3 good for a year, was the guy pounding the table for Kirk Cousins (even though they had drafted Rg3), gotten the best production out of Brian Hoyer, and helped make Matt Ryan an MVP. I think Baker would be just fine with him, and that's not a really a true WCO.  

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

Reid would certainly work, but he's not the only one. I mean, at this point, Shanny has made RG3 good for a year, was the guy pounding the table for Kirk Cousins (even though they had drafted Rg3), gotten the best production out of Brian Hoyer, and helped make Matt Ryan an MVP. I think Baker would be just fine with him, and that's not a really a true WCO.  

Its certainly possible, but if San Fran is drafting top 3, a real possibility, with Rosen, Darnold and Allen available, plus Jackson , I don't think Mayfield would be the likely pick, but you never know.

Archived