2018 Draft Eligible QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

On 9/10/2017 at 4:40 PM, Danger said:

Lamar Jackson reminds me of RGIII

Me too but he might be slightly further along at his 3rd year in college.  Of course RG had a senior season for the ages and had a better body.

6030176.jpg

Jackson is listed at 212 but he's probably closer to 200.  Apparently he's up significant weight from last year.

10 hours ago, DraftHobbyist said:

Tyler: 54.7% to 56.2% is not a substantial increase. Michael Vick ran a 4.25 40 and reports are that Lamar Jackson runs a 4.34 40. If he runs a 4.25 40 then your comparison to Vick will be more legitimate. I still can't believe you blame the FB for Lamar Jackson's fumble. He has to go where he has to go. He can't afford to run out of his way to avoid the QB. The QB needs to avoid the FB. And sure, it hits his arm, but it also hits his butt, so I think it's funny that it's a butt fumble, so that's how I'm going to portray it.

And yes, I purposefully cut off some of the outcomes of the play, because I didn't want you to concentrate on the outcome, which I guess couldn't be avoided. You were claiming that Jackson is doing a better job in the pocket and isn't just looking to run, but there were completely clean pockets and he's either fading out of it or scrambling. This isn't someone who is comfortable in the pocket, and he might get away with this in college, but it's going to hurt him big time in the NFL if he can't get more comfortable in the pocket. You seem to be fine with him doing this, but what player has had sustained long-term success by being a scrambler in the NFL? Don't you realize that when he fades or scrambles unnecessarily he's cutting off half the field? You also really forced Aaron Rodgers into this conversation. As a Packers fan, I find that laughable. Allow me to remind you who and what Aaron Rodgers is: 

Good god you start your post with literal crap then keep going on. You take his freshman to sophomore years and claim those are his completion percentages...yet ignore that his Junior year he has around a 65% completion percentage. That's truly garbage and grasping at best.

Then you make this comparison regarding Vick saying low 4.3 40 isn't equal to Vick's "4.25" 40 time out of Virginia Tech. First off Vick ran a pro day time. 2nd off Vick ran at Virginia Tech. They were literally the worst for exaggerating times in the past 20 years. The real point is Lamar Jackson is clearly on the same level as Vick athletically...Even according to Vick himself.

As I already covered it's on the Fullback....And even if it isn't that is literally the only turnover Jackson has. Please tell me more about Darnold's 4 interceptions if it's that big of a deal. In all seriousness it isn't. There is just some unreasonable bias, which is unfortunate.

Yeah darn Lamar Jackson making plays outside the pocket. Lets make him stay in the pocket and not use all of his ability's which may make him literally the best chance at a 2nd repeat Heisman winner in decades. Dang him for not taking sacks and making plays instead of being a pure pocket passer in college. 

Russell Wilson fits your description...next...yawn.

Oh spare me your "bring Rodgers into this rhetoric". Yeah Rodgers makes several unorthodox plays per game. I unfortunately live on the MN/WI border so I've seen way more Packers/Rodgers than I'd like to admit. Jackson does as well as anyone with improvisation. That doesn't mean Jackson is going to be as good as Rodgers however it certainly can mean Jackson has a special way of improvisation much like Rodgers...

3 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Good god you start your post with literal crap then keep going on. You take his freshman to sophomore years and claim those are his completion percentages...yet ignore that his Junior year he has around a 65% completion percentage. That's truly garbage and grasping at best.

You can make your point without taking shots at other posters.  If you disagree with his opinion, state why you think his opinion in valid, post your counter-argument, and leave it at that.

6 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Then you make this comparison regarding Vick saying low 4.3 40 isn't equal to Vick's "4.25" 40 time out of Virginia Tech. First off Vick ran a pro day time. 2nd off Vick ran at Virginia Tech. They were literally the worst for exaggerating times in the past 20 years. The real point is Lamar Jackson is clearly on the same level as Vick athletically...Even according to Vick himself.

As I already covered it's on the Fullback....And even if it isn't that is literally the only turnover Jackson has. Please tell me more about Darnold's 4 interceptions if it's that big of a deal. In all seriousness it isn't. There is just some unreasonable bias, which is unfortunate.

Yeah darn Lamar Jackson making plays outside the pocket. Lets make him stay in the pocket and not use all of his ability's which may make him literally the best chance at a 2nd repeat Heisman winner in decades. Dang him for not taking sacks and making plays instead of being a pure pocket passer in college. 

Russell Wilson fits your description...next...yawn.

Oh spare me your "bring Rodgers into this rhetoric". Yeah Rodgers makes several unorthodox plays per game. I unfortunately live on the MN/WI border so I've seen way more Packers/Rodgers than I'd like to admit. Jackson does as well as anyone with improvisation. That doesn't mean Jackson is going to be as good as Rodgers however it certainly can mean Jackson has a special way of improvisation much like Rodgers...

Just to answer one of your frustrations with me quickly, we're 2 games into the Junior season. It makes sense to look at his Freshman and Sophomore seasons for context IMO, but I don't think it makes sense to look at his season completion % after 2 games. How about I try to compromise with you and throw out his Freshman year and add this year's stats to last year's totals. That puts him at a 57.7% completion rate. He has plenty of bad teams to beat up on this year so his completion rate better be over 60%.

6 hours ago, DraftHobbyist said:

Just to answer one of your frustrations with me quickly, we're 2 games into the Junior season. It makes sense to look at his Freshman and Sophomore seasons for context IMO, but I don't think it makes sense to look at his season completion % after 2 games. How about I try to compromise with you and throw out his Freshman year and add this year's stats to last year's totals. That puts him at a 57.7% completion rate. He has plenty of bad teams to beat up on this year so his completion rate better be over 60%.

Is it not extremely common for a guy to progress each season especially an upperclassmen? 

On 9/11/2017 at 8:22 PM, DirtyDez said:

Me too but he might be slightly further along at his 3rd year in college.  Of course RG had a senior season for the ages and had a better body.

Jackson is listed at 212 but he's probably closer to 200.  Apparently he's up significant weight from last year.

Griffin and Jackson are very different scramblers/runners. RG3 was really an track athlete first. He was a very linear runner and not the greatest at being elusive in or out of the pocket. Jackson, in this respect is very similar to Vick. He's just a lot quicker and faster than most of the defenders coming his way and very elusive.

As passers, I think Griffin and Jackson are much closer with Jackson having a slight edge in velocity.

People are fawning over Darnold and Rosen, but as a Rams fan, I want to see Lamar Jackson end up somewhere in the AFC.(Jacksonville would be cool) I don't want to have to face that guy often.

One thing that will forever worry me is his build. RGIII was demolished in this league and was considerably bigger. He has a frame similar to Teddy who caused Vikings fans to hold their breath every time he took a hit, and he wasn't even a running QB. In reality his closest comparison in terms of frame is Vick, who also missed time with injury. He doesn't just need to learn how to not take hits in the NFL like Russ, he needs to also bulk consiterably. Russ is 5'11 and 215-220lbs. Lamar is 6'3 and 210-212lbs. He needs to get up to a functional 225lbs at least IMHO if he wants to run and take hits, because he will take hits even if he learns to duck and dodge like Russ.

He is a prime candidate to sit as a rookie and just bulk, bulk, bulk. For that reason I hope he ends up on a team with a capable bridge QB, I just don't really see that team looking at QB situations. In reality, his talents would fit the Shanny offense extremely well in SF, but as I said , IMO he needs to sit a year. 

But yeah, SF is the best place for him to land honestly.  

Archived