2018 Draft Eligible QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

13 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

The greatest individual performance i've seen by a college QB.

Tom Brady vs Alabama #1 defense in a bowl game as a senior

Drew Brees vs Kansas State in a bowl game as a soph

Vince Young vs USC Championship game

Johnny Manziel vs Alabama as a junior

Jameis Winston at Clemson as a redshirt freshman

Matt Ryan at Virginia Tech as a senior

Mike Vick against Florida State championship game as a freshman

Phillip Rivers at Florida State as a senior in a loss

David Greene at Tennessee as a freshman

Byron Leftwich vs Akron playing with a broken tibia in a loss

Big wins are remembered only against big time competition usually unless something really crazy happens like breaking your leg and being carried down field.  Drew Stanton was the leader of the largest comeback in NCAA college football history, and he has been an ok pro and that game greatly helped his draft stock, but still not like one game can make a career.   Would of had no clue he was the QB to lead that comeback because it was against Northwestern.  Same with A&M here, good team but they have been known to blow a lead or two recently.

Clearly with more recent games the statistics are very skewed with all the up tempo offenses, quick passing etc. If you throw 60 passes good chance is you will put up great statistics regardless.  I say again intangibles are what Rosen might be lacking, I do not even like him based on how he simply talks and carries himself, and I have only watched him on TV.  Seems very snobby and surfer dude persona aka Jared Goff.  Great game by Rosen though, really great comeback, will see how he does the rest of the year and if he can make that team into a winner.  Do this same thing against Stanford, Washington, USC, Colorado and Utah then you got something maybe.  My guess is Stanford might beat the crap out of him and Washington will pick him off multiple times.  

1 hour ago, JammerHammer21 said:

He did have a lot of great plays, but there were also some huge missed chances by that SEC defense, like when a safety didn't pluck an easy pick out of the air, and it instead became a UCLA TD.

Im sure he's not the only player that's had a little luck on his side. 

11 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

So are we really going to poo poo him being down 34 points with zero momentum, he literally put the team on his back and got the job done despite a few drops and a few penalties against an SEC defense at that. I wasn't even a Rosen fan like that, this cat was locked in, if that isn't a franchise QB, I don't know what is. You guys are funny 

Nobody is hating. Nobody said he can't be a franchise QB.

We are just trying to objectively evaluate his performance..... nothing wrong with that.

10 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Im sure he's not the only player that's had a little luck on his side. 

And when players have luck on their side, it should be taken into consideration when doing evals for that player during that game. I can't speak for everyone, as I don't know their biases, but I dont think everyone i hating on this performance out of some weird hatred of Josh Rosen (as several people in here are fans). It's just context. I don't think people are hating on Rosen juts to hate on Rosen. 

8 hours ago, Forge said:

And when players have luck on their side, it should be taken into consideration when doing evals for that player during that game. I can't speak for everyone, as I don't know their biases, but I dont think everyone i hating on this performance out of some weird hatred of Josh Rosen (as several people in here are fans). It's just context. I don't think people are hating on Rosen juts to hate on Rosen. 

gotcha

On 9/4/2017 at 10:00 PM, MSURacerDT55 said:

So are we really going to poo poo him being down 34 points with zero momentum, he literally put the team on his back and got the job done despite a few drops and a few penalties against an SEC defense at that. I wasn't even a Rosen fan like that, this cat was locked in, if that isn't a franchise QB, I don't know what is. You guys are funny 

Given his physical talents from scrambling to arm strength, and going off the insanely small sample size from one game this year where he looked far better mechanically and in the pocket, its hard for me to believe Lamar Jackson is anything but a top 5 pick. Some team is going to fall in love. He is a very similar player to Cunningham IMHO. If he can stay healthy, he can be very exciting. Just needs to keep learning, keep working on accuracy and timing routes, keep developing a sense for checking down rather than going for a 2nd/3rd level throw or scrambling. But the talent is certainly there.

20 minutes ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

Somebody really led this kid in the wrong direction to return to school. 

It was his decision. He loves playing there. Everyone was telling him to go from what I've heard. Nothing wrong with going through adversity as long as it doesn't cripple his confidence. As long as he doesn't get killed physically I think it's a positive thing for his long term development.

1 minute ago, CalhounLambeau said:

Nothing wrong with going through adversity as long as it doesn't cripple his confidence. As long as he doesn't get killed physically I think it's a positive thing for his long term development.

Tell that to that Matt Barkley's, Jevan Snead's and Brian Brohm's of the world. 

I know it's only week one and this might be an overreaction by me but the kid looked terrible against Iowa. I don't want to beat him up after the first week but for me, it was a very worrisome game for someone a lot of people projected the top overall pick. I would've liked to see a strong performance against the best defense he'll face all year and he came out and fell flat.

Like I said, might be an overreaction but I'm pumping my brakes on the Allen hype train for right now. 

19 minutes ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

Tell that to that Matt Barkley's, Jevan Snead's and Brian Brohm's of the world.

None of those guys were in the same stratosphere as Josh Allen. Those guys had glaring limitations. An extra year in college didn't ruin them. They didn't have it in them to the level Allen does.

56 minutes ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

Somebody really led this kid in the wrong direction to return to school. 

A case can be made either way. He flat out wasn't ready last year - it could be argued he won't be ready at the end of this year - so this may have been better for his long term viability in the NFL. That being said, he was returning to a team that was losing the majority of it's talent (not easy for a team like Wyoming to replace one true NFL caliber player along with a couple of other fringe NFL players and then a few productive seniors to boot). So it made sense to go back, get snaps, continue to grow and evolve....but you're doing it in a place that may not have the talent to support you nearly as well as the year before. 

Archived