2018 Draft Eligible QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Anyone have any opinions on Kurt Benkert? Just noticed his stats on UVA this year.

Born in Baltimore, Maryland and moved to Florida as a child. Three-star recruit according to 247Sports. Major unknown. Redshirt. Played in 3 games as a freshman. Missed the 2015 season due to a right knee injury. Transferred from East Carolina as a graduate to Virginia. Played in 11 games as a junior. Very religious. Married.

Is all I have on him so far. Worked on his background the other day. 

I want to bring up Rudolph because people seem to be trusting "sources" more so than their own eyes. Guys like Pauline/Breer are citing scouts that have said Rudolph is a mid-round player, but then Jeremiah has heard from a scout who says he's a 1st round talent (to which he agrees). 

Yes, Rudolph would've probably been a mid-to-late round pick had he declared last year. Tools not overly impressive, funky offense, great talent around him... but this year he looks like a first round pick and like many media sources before, I think the source material out there is very outdated. 

That play against Pitt is what NFL teams look for. Play breaks down, able to escape the rush, keep his eyes downfield, know that he's going to take a hit but is still able to throw a dime downfield to his receiver. 1st round play. 

Is the arm strength special? No. But he's showing that he's able to throw downfield with tremendous touch and accuracy, not unlike how Brees/Brady/Ryan do in the NFL. I'm not saying he'll be that, but I think teams will value him a lot more in December than we are reading now. 

Not sure what happened to Austin Allen but man he's looking like a guy that'd be lucky to get a camp invite so far this year.

Has very little help around him though. His body language is terrible...wouldn't surprise me if he's taken too many hard hits to the head.

19 hours ago, Abe56 said:

Josh Allen went from should of declared last year to now probably having to stay another year to try and rebuild his reputation 

I'm wondering how much damage he's actually doing. He looks worse than Kizer did last year, but I wonder if someone still wouldn't take him in the second, similar to Kizer, based on the season before and his physical tools. At this point, I would agree that he needs to go back to school, but if it's not going to help him, I can understand declaring anyway (again, similar to Kizer). On the surface, this looks absolutely terrible for him, though. I haven't seen this type of implosion of draft stock in a while. Some people may use Cardale as a comp, but I never bought him as a 1st / 2nd round guy after 3 games. I think the predraft would have got him.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm wondering how much damage he's actually doing. He looks worse than Kizer did last year, but I wonder if someone still wouldn't take him in the second, similar to Kizer, based on the season before and his physical tools. At this point, I would agree that he needs to go back to school, but if it's not going to help him, I can understand declaring anyway (again, similar to Kizer). On the surface, this looks absolutely terrible for him, though. I haven't seen this type of implosion of draft stock in a while. Some people may use Cardale as a comp, but I never bought him as a 1st / 2nd round guy after 3 games. I think the predraft would have got him.

Someone would draft him high (see: Hackenberg, Christian) but based on what we've seen so far if he enters this year he'll flame out guaranteed.

20 hours ago, Abe56 said:

Josh Allen went from should of declared last year to now probably having to stay another year to try and rebuild his reputation 

With his size and tools he probably wouldn't slip out of the second round not to mention the year isn't over and he still has plenty of time to turn things around. He just has to get out of Wyoming and get taught professional football full-time as opposed to wasting another year playing nobody with nobody at Wyoming. I haven't watched his 2017 tape yet and from what I've heard the playcalling hasn't been pretty. He needs to get out of there. He has epic tools coaches want to coach. He doesn't need to rebuild his reputation. His 2016 tape had a ton of holes and mistakes too. He's a tools guy, his reputation was his tools - not what he built with them. Wyoming isn't going to build him. Get him to someone who can.

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Like you mentioned, some team is going to take a gamble on him.  Would I be that person?  No, but there's enough history that has shown that some team will be willing to take him.

I feel a team like New Orleans or Pittsburgh would need to draft him if he's going to go early. He's got the tools, yes, but his play has been absolutely awful. A team like them, there's an established, elite QB ahead of him and he gets the time with the coaches to fine tune his game.

if he goes to a team like the Giants or the Chargers though, teams with QBs that are clearly showing regression with age, he'd be forced into a starting role too early.  It's got to be with a veteran where he sits on the bench for at least 2 years type guy. Hackenberg was the same type of guy, but he got drafted to a team that needed a QB right away and a team that has a defensive focus. Not that Hackenberg was good, but he clearly needed could spend a lot of time off the field improving his game before he stepped onto a field.  Though I'd honestly argue Allen is a similar prospect to Hackenberg.  College passer with innaccuracy issues, but all the tools

1 hour ago, PacAttack04 said:

I feel a team like New Orleans or Pittsburgh would need to draft him if he's going to go early. He's got the tools, yes, but his play has been absolutely awful. A team like them, there's an established, elite QB ahead of him and he gets the time with the coaches to fine tune his game.

if he goes to a team like the Giants or the Chargers though, teams with QBs that are clearly showing regression with age, he'd be forced into a starting role too early.  It's got to be with a veteran where he sits on the bench for at least 2 years type guy. Hackenberg was the same type of guy, but he got drafted to a team that needed a QB right away and a team that has a defensive focus. Not that Hackenberg was good, but he clearly needed could spend a lot of time off the field improving his game before he stepped onto a field.  Though I'd honestly argue Allen is a similar prospect to Hackenberg.  College passer with innaccuracy issues, but all the tools

I don't know about the Saints having an elite quarterback next year. Brees is a free agent and they are still having cap issues. They may decide to enter full on rebuild mode.

That being said, Pitt has been one of my absolute favorite places for him to go. The comp I use for Allen at his best has been Big Ben since last year, so I think that could really work. I'd also love the fit in Arizona if Palmer decides to play one more season.

On 9/25/2017 at 11:45 AM, CalhounLambeau said:

With his size and tools he probably wouldn't slip out of the second round not to mention the year isn't over and he still has plenty of time to turn things around. He just has to get out of Wyoming and get taught professional football full-time as opposed to wasting another year playing nobody with nobody at Wyoming. I haven't watched his 2017 tape yet and from what I've heard the playcalling hasn't been pretty. He needs to get out of there. He has epic tools coaches want to coach. He doesn't need to rebuild his reputation. His 2016 tape had a ton of holes and mistakes too. He's a tools guy, his reputation was his tools - not what he built with them. Wyoming isn't going to build him. Get him to someone who can.

Yeah.  Most NFL coaches are egomaniacs if nothing else.  Guaranteed there will be at least a handful out there who are convinced they can "fix" a guy with tools like that.  That'll get him drafted fairly high, even if he doesn't really turn around his season and opts to declare (which looks like it'd be a decent idea, as he's not seemingly improving much in the situation he's in now).  

On 9/25/2017 at 12:45 PM, CalhounLambeau said:

I agree. If Kiser doesn't even fall out of the 2nd in such a deep class last year. No way Allen does. 

Archived