2018 Draft Eligible QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

16 hours ago, Danger said:

To say anything at this point is locked in seems pretty silly to me. If that was the case Jevan Sneed would have been the #1 overall pick some years ago.

According to who, Kiper? No one in the league viewed Snead like that.. Just like last year when McShay had Mitch Leidner in the 1st round of a mock, the combines had him as a free agent. 

Scouts are submitting in reports that are locked in as we speak. But I guess that is silly..

1 hour ago, Scout said:

Scouts are submitting in reports that are locked in as we speak. But I guess that is silly..

Doesn't mean things can't change before the draft. Was Mitchell Trubisky the top quarterback in his class after only five starts? Would Deshaun Watson have been taken with the fourth pick of the draft before his performance in the BCS Championship Game? Won't scouts (and GMs) continue to go to college games, or are they done. Won't minds change (even a little) during the Combines? 

But, maybe you're right. Maybe Dak Prescott's rankings were locked in early in the season and teams failed to see how he improved as his final season unfolded. Maybe that's why he was drafted too low. And maybe scouts were so infatuated with Paxton Lynch's early games that they missed his red-flag performances late in the season. Maybe that's why he was drafted too high (or maybe they just fell in love with his height). 

I don't doubt that NFL front offices already have a rough idea about how the players stack up, but I doubt that everything is already set in stone. If it were, there would be no need for further observations.

15 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Some interesting stats:

Darnold

Comp% 15+ yards - 31.8

Comp% with pressure - 50.0

Attempts/Ints - 14.5*

WR drop rate % - 3.8

Rosen

Comp% 15+ yards - 57.1

Comp% with pressure - 49.2

Attempts/Ints - 33.6*

WR drop rate % - 8.6

*includes dropped ints

Darnold needs to go back to school IMO. 

Definitely would prefer Rosen over him at this point in time.

I definitely believe that Darnold should go back to school. He's very raw right now. 

Ideally, Rosen should go back to school, too, because he's such a young prospect, but I don't think that he's getting much help from the UCLA coaching staff. He may as well come out early.

2 hours ago, Zed Rational said:

I definitely believe that Darnold should go back to school. He's very raw right now. 

Ideally, Rosen should go back to school, too, because he's such a young prospect, but I don't think that he's getting much help from the UCLA coaching staff. He may as well come out early.

I love both Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen and agree with you. I really don't care when players that could play in the NFL stay in school - especially when the program is in good condition. I would prefer Josh Rosen to bow out due to the program being average around him. I would prefer Darnold stay another year. He's four months younger than Josh Rosen and took a redshirt when Rosen was playing as a freshman so its understandable that Darnold is a little more green. 

On 02/10/2017 at 11:21 AM, Elusive_Tiger said:

Stud? He plays in a simple offensive scheme and can't read a defense. Also floats the ball quite a bit. Looks like a 3rd or 4th rounder to me.

I've seen every OKS game this season scouting potential Bills picks ( in this case Rudolph and Washington ) and don't see what you say he is doing ? Definitely gonna go in top 60 and profiles as an NFL starter imo

7 hours ago, Zed Rational said:

Doesn't mean things can't change before the draft. Was Mitchell Trubisky the top quarterback in his class after only five starts? Would Deshaun Watson have been taken with the fourth pick of the draft before his performance in the BCS Championship Game? Won't scouts (and GMs) continue to go to college games, or are they done. Won't minds change (even a little) during the Combines? 

But, maybe you're right. Maybe Dak Prescott's rankings were locked in early in the season and teams failed to see how he improved as his final season unfolded. Maybe that's why he was drafted too low. And maybe scouts were so infatuated with Paxton Lynch's early games that they missed his red-flag performances late in the season. Maybe that's why he was drafted too high (or maybe they just fell in love with his height). 

I don't doubt that NFL front offices already have a rough idea about how the players stack up, but I doubt that everything is already set in stone. If it were, there would be no need for further observations.

This is why you give 3 looks to an A player.....

It's a checks and balances system. When you have an A player (starter) he gets 3 looks: 1 from the area scout, 1 from the national scout, and 1 from a Director or GM. Someone catches him early in the season, another mid, and someone else late in the year. This accounts for fluctuations in performance, and new background or injury info. 

On 10/2/2017 at 7:07 PM, ronjon1990 said:

I really really like Luke Falk. He isn't going to wow anybody at the combine. He isn't always flashy. I've seen him move the pocket and evade pressure at times. I think he is by far the best player on Washington State right now. But I agree, I don't have him as a 1st rounder. 2nd maybe. Probably 3rd. He'll probably make a decent backup at worst, or, he might be one of those non-flashy guys that wind up playing so efficiently when surrounded by pro-level talent that his weaknesses get masked and he flourishes. I haven't really been able to get a great read on him individually though. 

Slight problem I have is the backup coming in and looking significantly better vs Utah.

On 10/1/2017 at 10:21 AM, Danger said:

Give me an updated QB rankings for you guys.

1. Rosen

2. Mayfield

3. Darnold

4. Jackson

5. Manny Wilkins.

5 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

I love both Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen and agree with you. I really don't care when players that could play in the NFL stay in school - especially when the program is in good condition. I would prefer Josh Rosen to bow out due to the program being average around him. I would prefer Darnold stay another year. He's four months younger than Josh Rosen and took a redshirt when Rosen was playing as a freshman so its understandable that Darnold is a little more green. 

If I were in Darnold's shoes, I'd rather get NFL coaching and get paid.

12 hours ago, Scout said:

Unless you have something to support this, I find this to be quite off base.  What happens if Sam Darnold destroys his throwing arm in a few weeks?  Or what happens if his game steps up?  Are teams really going to rest on their initial evaluation?  Absolutely not.

49 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Unless you have something to support this, I find this to be quite off base.  What happens if Sam Darnold destroys his throwing arm in a few weeks?  Or what happens if his game steps up?  Are teams really going to rest on their initial evaluation?  Absolutely not.

Read my last post

On 10/1/2017 at 9:21 AM, Danger said:

Give me an updated QB rankings for you guys.

1) Rudolph
2) Rosen
3) Darnold
4) Mayfield
5) Allen
6) Falk
7) Browning
8) Fitzgerald
9) Barrett

That's just from what I watched recently. I cannot stress enough that I expect a lot to change, as my confidence in these rankings is still pretty low. There's a lot of season left, and for the most part, we're just starting to get to the heart of the season. Some of these guys don't run pro-style offenses, and some have been extremely streaky. It's like who is Rosen? Is he the hot Rosen or the cold Rosen? I think time will answer a lot of the streakiness and inconsistency questions with some of these QB's.

I really like Rudolph right now. He makes so many passes that just right on the money, and he is throwing to all parts of the field. He has good measurables, too, he has experience, and we know he is coming out. I think a guy like Darnold is really talented, but there have been times where he has shown he needs to go back to school. For instance, he intentionally grounded a ball after it one of those crazy flea-flicker-type plays, and that's intentional grounding, but he didn't know the rule. Rosen probably will come out, but I did note that he has some awkward plays, and that along with his streakiness scare me a bit. There was a play where he just basically dropped the ball, for instance. Mayfield is a Senior and does a lot of good things, but obviously he has the question marks. Honestly, right now, I think a lot of these underclassmen are going back to school.

Archived