2018 Draft Eligible QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

1 minute ago, Scout said:

Sure. You can say that about all these quarterbacks. Ultimately, does the ball go where it's supposed to, accurately? 

The whole system argument for QBs gets overbrlown way too much.  Most of these college QBs play out of the shotgun, which means their footwork is going to be a work in progress.  It's the decision making part of the process that I think is the part we should be analyzing when we talk about the systems that QB comes in.  If the QB comes out of a system where the pass has a predetermined target, that's an issue in terms of evaluating.  But that's not the case with Baker Mayfield in Oklahoma's offense.

55 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The whole system argument for QBs gets overbrlown way too much.  Most of these college QBs play out of the shotgun, which means their footwork is going to be a work in progress.  It's the decision making part of the process that I think is the part we should be analyzing when we talk about the systems that QB comes in.  If the QB comes out of a system where the pass has a predetermined target, that's an issue in terms of evaluating.  But that's not the case with Baker Mayfield in Oklahoma's offense.

Yes. Exactly. I remember 10, 15 years ago when everyone had big concerns over the spread. I don't understand why people make such a big deal out of it now when 90% of college runs it. I've said it before in another thread, but I grade traits. Not helmets or offenses. 

Just caught the tail end of the Oklahoma-Iowa St game. Baker Mayfield did not look good at all in the 2:00 Offense. 24/33 for 306 yards and 2 TD's with 0 INT's isn't a bad stat line, though, plus his rushing. It looks like Iowa St just tore up Oklahoma's Defense for the most part, and both teams took care of the ball.

What a start for Kyle Kempt. First ever start and all he does is go 18/24 for 343 yards and 3 TD's with no INT's to upset the #3 team in the nation. Too bad the kid didn't get a start before being a Senior. Does he have any NFL potential? Like I said, I didn't get to watch most of the game.

3 hours ago, Scout said:

Sure. You can say that about all these quarterbacks. Ultimately, does the ball go where it's supposed to, accurately? 

I don't use the system QB argument for all QB's, and I don't think that's very reasonable. But with spread Offenses, even if the QB is making reads, you can expect a higher completion rate and often a higher TD:INT. Was the ball getting where it was supposed to go? Well, what I saw in the 2:00 Offense was a ball dropped because it was a 3 yard pass that was way behind the receiver. It was a 3rd 3 or 4. The next play I saw Mayfield hold onto the ball and not find anybody open, then when he did throw it, it was way over the head of his WR. He didn't even give his WR a chance to catch the ball. On 4th Down. To lose the game. Mayfield has character concerns and I'm seeing significant ball placement issues.

I just watched Mayfield the other day and I put him as my #4 QB out of the 9 I've watched for context, and I'm feeling pretty confident with him being around a Day 2 guy that maybe drops to Day 3 depending on the character. I think there are few types of system issues, though. One is where the system actually hinders growth because the system is so simple, which is what you were referring to, but not what I was referring to. The second type of system issue is where there may be reads, but it's still a spread Offense that inflates the production numbers. That's the type of system issue I was referring to. When a guy is throwing over a 75% completion rate it's pretty easy to say he should be looked at as a serious NFL prospect, but would people be saying that if he was completing only 60% of his passes in Iowa's Pro-Style Offense? I'm not sure there would be such a push. I do think Mayfield is a middle-of-the-road prospect, but I don't see him as a 1st Rounder.

2 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Haven’t seen much talk about Stidham. From what I’ve read he’s an interesting prospect who scouts want to see more of. I haven’t seen him play yet, hoping to soon.  Anyone have thoughts on him?

I watched a game of his recently and wasn't as impressed as I expected to be.

31 minutes ago, Elusive_Tiger said:

Not eligible this year, but I love Jake Fromm, Justin Herbert, Jacob Eason and Shea Patterson for next year. 

I haven't warmed up to Herbert yet. Eason hasn't played enough for me to give an opinion on. His 2016 season was alright I guess. Patterson hasn't impressed me yet either. 

Walterfootball has Clayton Thorson, the NW QB, as #15 in their mock. Apparently they've heard from NFL guys that they have a 1st round grade on him.

Somebody please explain this to me. I don't even see how this guy is an NFL QB, let alone a 1st round pick. Good size, an NFL arm... that's where it ends from what I've seen.

7 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Walterfootball has Clayton Thorson, the NW QB, as #15 in their mock. Apparently they've heard from NFL guys that they have a 1st round grade on him.

Somebody please explain this to me. I don't even see how this guy is an NFL QB, let alone a 1st round pick. Good size, an NFL arm... that's where it ends from what I've seen.

Dude, it's WalterFootball.

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I think he'll be a mid round guy when he does come out, but I don't think he will this year. He's only a Jr I think (though redshirt), and the season isn't awful, but it's not great. Will probably stay another year when evals come out and he's only a mid round type. 

Archived