2018 Draft Eligible QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Falk is not looking good today. I'm not seeing a NFL starter.

He looked alright in the 2nd half to me.  Some drops hurt him a bit.  But his team came out on top, which is good in a marquis matchup.  Also really stood in and took some shots to make some plays, which is refreshing from a spread/air raid QB like that.  He's not afraid of pressure.  And he's undeniably tough.

He's a tricky one because he's basically the anti-Josh Allen.  He's not this big imposing presence with athleticism to burn.  There are no big flash plays, there's no running around doing crazy stuff.  There's no cannon arm there.  But he does what he does extremely well.  He runs an offense that just chips away at a defense until that deep shot is there.  And he runs it well and with a ton of poise.  Which is...frankly, what a lot of NFL offenses have evolved into.

idk where you draft a potentially starting calibre Game Manager in this day and age.  Where does an Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins go in a re-draft?  Even Jared Goff is basically this type of QB in most respects.

He puts the ball in consistently good spots, with just the right touch.  He's a potential master game manager.  It's not "exciting", but idk...i like him.  He runs a good game.  Just probably isn't going to be that guy you want to reach for as a "franchise changing QB" who lifts a garbo team out of the cellar by himself.

4 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

He looked alright in the 2nd half to me.  Some drops hurt him a bit.  But his team came out on top, which is good in a marquis matchup.  Also really stood in and took some shots to make some plays, which is refreshing from a spread/air raid QB like that.  He's not afraid of pressure.  And he's undeniably tough.

He's a tricky one because he's basically the anti-Josh Allen.  He's not this big imposing presence with athleticism to burn.  There are no big flash plays, there's no running around doing crazy stuff.  There's no cannon arm there.  But he does what he does extremely well.  He runs an offense that just chips away at a defense until that deep shot is there.  And he runs it well and with a ton of poise.  Which is...frankly, what a lot of NFL offenses have evolved into.

idk where you draft a potentially starting calibre Game Manager in this day and age.  Where does an Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins go in a re-draft?  Even Jared Goff is basically this type of QB in most respects.

He puts the ball in consistently good spots, with just the right touch.  He's a potential master game manager.  It's not "exciting", but idk...i like him.  He runs a good game.  Just probably isn't going to be that guy you want to reach for as a "franchise changing QB" who lifts a garbo team out of the cellar by himself.

I saw none of this. I saw a guy who wasn't particularly accurate, didn't feel pressure well, and didn't read the defense well. A NFL offense is going to be a huge change for him.

I'm also not even sure what type of QB you're talking about. Alex Smith and Kirk Cousins are about as different as night and day. And Jared Goff hasn't established what type of QB he is.

30 minutes ago, justo said:

Assuming that Josh Allen/Sam Darnold go back to school, how many quarterbacks go top-100? Jackson, Rosen (if UCLA can't land Kelly), Mayfield and Rudolph?

Talking up to third round basically? Clayton Thorson maybe? Started since his freshman year, gotten better every year (obviously this year ongoing), he's got the size and arm scouts will love

Darnold's stock is dropping IMO. 8 Picks to 9 touchdowns.

Something to note. Darnold took 6 sacks all last season, and he's already taken 9? couple that with him already throwing 8 interceptions compared to 9 last year, it sounds like he's holding on to the ball for far too long, trying to do much. Is his offensive line a revolving door? Do his receivers not know how to get open? Or is it mostly on him?

2 hours ago, Danger said:

Something to note. Darnold took 6 sacks all last season, and he's already taken 9? couple that with him already throwing 8 interceptions compared to 9 last year, it sounds like he's holding on to the ball for far too long, trying to do much. Is his offensive line a revolving door? Do his receivers not know how to get open? Or is it mostly on him?

All of it.

2 hours ago, Danger said:

Pretty sure they lost 3 starters on the line last night and their WR's really don't do him any favors. Still Darnold didn't look good last night either. I'll second what Jrry said above and say Luke Falk doesn't look like an NFL player to me (based solely on last night).

I thought Luke Falk did some things really well and some things really poorly. His intermediate-long range ball was way off all night. There were at least 3 balls that landed way out of bounds that weren't throwaways. But on those short throws, he puts the ball on the money. He does go through his progressions, but he lacks athleticism and an internal clock, so that leads to a lot of sacks. Despite his lack of athleticism, however, he has some subtle moves in the pocket to keep his eyes down field and avoid a rusher. I wasn't a fan before last night, and I'm still not, but I do have respect for part of his game. He's nowhere near a 1st Rounder, though.

Sam Darnold needs to go back to school. He has a lot of tools and I still like him, but he hasn't put it all together. He was pretty bad last night, and the drives he made were with his legs, not his arm. That WSU Defense is fast, though, and they have some very good players on Defense, especially that pass-rusher Hercules Mata'afa.

Josh Rosen flashes some serious potential, especially in the 2nd half, but I want to see him put more games together where he puts in 4 good quarters, not just a good half. I don't see it in Josh Allen right now. Mason Rudolph looks really good to me, and he's my top QB at this point, but I have to watch all these guys a lot more closely.

Don't be surprised if at the end of the year, a lot of these younger QB's go back to school and some of the Seniors fall in value. Part of the reason Mason Rudolph is so interesting is because he's a Senior. Oh, and I'm concerned about the character/intangibles/leadership of Baker Mayfield. He does so many stupid things, some which are illegal, but even some of those things that aren't illegal that are just stupid.

EDIT: Quinton Flowers 2/7 on the game continuing to show why I don't think he's an NFL QB. I like him as a RB, though.

9 hours ago, Forge said:

Talking up to third round basically? Clayton Thorson maybe? Started since his freshman year, gotten better every year (obviously this year ongoing), he's got the size and arm scouts will love

Thorson was actually I jotted down last year as a guy to watch moving forward, but his stats probably mean that he's not coming out. Maybe Sean White from Western Kentucky? Maybe Riley Ferguson rises, though I think he's more of a QB3 than a top-100 type of pick.

Sam Darnold vs .500+ (at USC, against college teams): 14 TD, 12 INT

Sam Darnold vs sub-.500: 26 TD, 5 INT

Josh Allen vs .500+: 16 TD, 15 INT

Josh Allen vs sub-.500: 15 TD, 3 INT

Darnold's thrown more passes against .500 teams this September than he did all last season. Pac-12 was weak, he came in after a tough slate for USC. Quality of comp matters a lot, and Darnold really only stood out against PSU, which is what everyone saw. He was kinda built up off of one game. Mark Dulgerian from NFLN, used to work at Optimum Scouting, said this offseason after a USC practice that if you didn't know he was getting hype, you wouldn't think that he was the clearcut starter.

Maybe the Josh Allen hype will kick back up when he beats down UNLV, who lost to Howard.

1 hour ago, vikes635 said:

Can someone give me a qb rankings list that i can copy and past onto an excel spread sheet. I would like this list to include players full name and school.  Or bump one that is already in this thread that i didnt find

Archived