2018 Draft Eligible QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

48 minutes ago, Da_Ducktator said:

I agree, strongly.

I disagree with the arm strength notion (I just don't see it translating to the NFL) but can agree with everything else. I'm just not a fan of the kid and baffled that anybody would consider him draftable.

I don't think he is draftable, but I have been seeing this guy at camps since his days at De La Salle and I know what I see with his arm strength, my point is he basically has all arm and nothing else.

On 11/9/2017 at 8:48 AM, Da_Ducktator said:

Not sure if anybody watched the #MACation that happened last night, but it was a rough night for a few of the MAC QB's getting some hype.

Brogan Roback (Eastern Michigan) tossed five picks including a pick-6 when trying to drive his team downfield with under two minutes to go on just a really poor decision (threw behind on a crossing route to a target with two defenders on him). He battled back to get his team back in position, but the cameras caught him with poor body language a lot, including him just giving up as soon as the last pass was picked off. Roback was suspended the first three games last season for a violation of team rules so character eval is going to be incredibly important for teams.

IIRC Roback has been suspended more than once... 

20 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Is Drew Lock starting to establish himself as a legitimate NFL prospect? I haven't seen much of him this year, but the stats are highly impressive for a SEC QB. The guy has always had great tools.

I'm torn on the guy. I remember him being touted a few years back as "one of those guys" that will be huge. My only problem this season (I won't go into '15/'16 because I don't have the info in front of me) is that his stats feel a bit inflated. We know Mizzou likes to throw the ball more than typical SEC teams, so there's that. Moreover, 25 of his 35 TD's have come against: Missouri St, Idaho, Connecticut, Florida, and Tennessee. He did look really good at times against Georgia, but he also looked really bad other times and probably should have been picked off at least 3 or 4 times in that game. Aside from Georgia (60%), his completion percentage outside of the 5 teams named above has not been over 59%, dipping as low as 42.9% against Purdue. Seems like a guy who will either get really hot, really lucky, or really bad from one week to the next without a whole lot of consistency against better teams. I've only watched the Georgia and Kentucky games, so I admit I may be a little stat sheet reliant, but that's my general take. In the Georgia game, he got lucky on a few bombs too. How much of it falls on Missouri not being very good overall, I don't know for sure. But if I were a GM, I would take a look at him probably around the 4th-5th at least. Good size, good arm, pretty good tools, stuck on a bad team. Plus he is only a junior, so there's potential to get better. 

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'm torn on the guy. I remember him being touted a few years back as "one of those guys" that will be huge. My only problem this season (I won't go into '15/'16 because I don't have the info in front of me) is that his stats feel a bit inflated. We know Mizzou likes to throw the ball more than typical SEC teams, so there's that. Moreover, 25 of his 35 TD's have come against: Missouri St, Idaho, Connecticut, Florida, and Tennessee. He did look really good at times against Georgia, but he also looked really bad other times and probably should have been picked off at least 3 or 4 times in that game. Aside from Georgia (60%), his completion percentage outside of the 5 teams named above has not been over 59%, dipping as low as 42.9% against Purdue. Seems like a guy who will either get really hot, really lucky, or really bad from one week to the next without a whole lot of consistency against better teams. I've only watched the Georgia and Kentucky games, so I admit I may be a little stat sheet reliant, but that's my general take. How much of it falls on Missouri not being very good overall, I don't know for sure. But if I were a GM, I would take a look at him probably around the 4th-5th at least. Good size, good arm, pretty good tools, stuck on a bad team. Plus he is only a junior, so there's potential to get better. 

Assuming his play is good (and not great), I think you gotta take him on Day 2 with his tools. He has prototypical size, a cannon for an arm, and a quick release. In seeing a few of his highlights, his bounces are really weird when he's moving in the pocket.

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Assuming his play is good (and not great), I think you gotta take him on Day 2 with his tools. He has prototypical size, a cannon for an arm, and a quick release. In seeing a few of his highlights, his bounces are really weird when he's moving in the pocket.

Day 2 eh? I can't say you're wrong. 2nd round is probably way too high. I could see mid-late round 3 if the cards fell right I suppose. Glad you reminded me of the bouncing though. Is it just me or does it make you feel like he's about to take of running?

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

Day 2 eh? I can't say you're wrong. 2nd round is probably way too high. I could see mid-late round 3 if the cards fell right I suppose. Glad you reminded me of the bouncing though. Is it just me or does it make you feel like he's about to take of running?

It's the right thing to do. He's keep his feet active to help him move and throw quickly. However, his feet don't look like they're synced up.

On 11/12/2017 at 9:17 PM, jrry32 said:

It's the right thing to do. He's keep his feet active to help him move and throw quickly. However, his feet don't look like they're synced up.

I’ve been intrigued by him as well and am excited to see what he decides to do... if he continues his hot play, I don’t think it’ll be a question that he’ll go Day 2. We all know by now that the NFL doesn’t exactly evaluate QBs the way fans/media does, and for the most part will prioritize to the mental/tools and will consider the situation they were in heavily... I remember the days when drafting a QB with a subpar record was blasphemous... not how things have changed. 

From the limited I’ve seen out of him, he’s having the type of season everyone wanted to see out Josh Allen. Doesn’t have a very talented team, which could explain some of his performances against premium competition, isn’t the most accurate of passers, but he’s shown enough for you to defend him when hes not at his best against those opponents and has cleaned up when he should, and most of all the tools are undeniable. 

He’s probably a 2nd round talent, but like many others before him could very well be a 1st round pick based on demand. Last week was a bump in the road, but if he continues to play they way he’s played for the better parts of October-November, wouldn’t shock me the least to see him get a 1st round grade from the NFL Advisory Board.

On 11/12/2017 at 8:17 PM, jrry32 said:

So, he is a JR. Do you think he'd come out this year or would he be better served waiting for the significantly weaker '19 class? 

On 11/12/2017 at 8:56 PM, ronjon1990 said:
On 11/9/2017 at 9:48 AM, Da_Ducktator said:

Not sure if anybody watched the #MACation that happened last night, but it was a rough night for a few of the MAC QB's getting some hype.

Brogan Roback (Eastern Michigan) tossed five picks including a pick-6 when trying to drive his team downfield with under two minutes to go on just a really poor decision (threw behind on a crossing route to a target with two defenders on him). He battled back to get his team back in position, but the cameras caught him with poor body language a lot, including him just giving up as soon as the last pass was picked off. Roback was suspended the first three games last season for a violation of team rules so character eval is going to be incredibly important for teams.

IIRC Roback has been suspended more than once...

I can only remember him being suspended once, and from what I know it wasn't a very big deal. He was only suspended for 1 game and that was mostly because head coach Chris Creighton wanted to show everyone can be held accountable. It also didn't hurt that they had Todd Porter who was a JUCO transfer. They didn't have to change much in the offense to incorporate Porter's running ability for the first game (run the same zone plays but leave the weakside DE unblocked & read him). He actually worked well to start so they played him the 2nd game (Roback wasn't suspended at that point). Porter started to struggle when they couldn't just run the ball so they pulled him and put Roback back in for the 2nd half of the Wyoming game IIRC. 

Teams really shouldn't be concerned with Roback's character, he's a pretty good guy. He's got a great arm and moves decently enough to be able to scramble and pick up a few yards. Really inconsistent though. Takes a lot of risks and they don't always pay off. He's definitely worth bringing in to camp and seeing what he can do throwing to NFL WR's.

9 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

I can only remember him being suspended once, and from what I know it wasn't a very big deal. He was only suspended for 1 game and that was mostly because head coach Chris Creighton wanted to show everyone can be held accountable. It also didn't hurt that they had Todd Porter who was a JUCO transfer. They didn't have to change much in the offense to incorporate Porter's running ability for the first game (run the same zone plays but leave the weakside DE unblocked & read him). He actually worked well to start so they played him the 2nd game (Roback wasn't suspended at that point). Porter started to struggle when they couldn't just run the ball so they pulled him and put Roback back in for the 2nd half of the Wyoming game IIRC. 

Teams really shouldn't be concerned with Roback's character, he's a pretty good guy. He's got a great arm and moves decently enough to be able to scramble and pick up a few yards. Really inconsistent though. Takes a lot of risks and they don't always pay off. He's definitely worth bringing in to camp and seeing what he can do throwing to NFL WR's.

I thought he was suspended the full three games he sat, but it also seems like you may be wrong on the one game as well.

During the Mid-American Conference football teleconference today, Eastern Michigan coach Chris Creighton said suspended quarterback Brogan Roback has returned to the team. The third-year coach suspended Roback, the team's returning starter, on Aug. 23 for violating team rules. He missed two games.

10 minutes ago, Da_Ducktator said:

I thought he was suspended the full three games he sat, but it also seems like you may be wrong on the one game as well.

Either way the suspension didn't seem like a big deal. He came back in the game against Wyoming when Porter struggled. He could've played earlier but they didn't want to pull Porter because he was playing well up until that point. 

Archived