2018 Draft Eligible QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

On 11/24/2017 at 6:38 PM, Classic said:

What? Since when does Matt Ryan have a noodle arm? All of his hail Marys to Julio haven't taught you yet

Ryan has an average starter's arm, quite sufficient for the NFL, but he does not have a really strong arm and that is why he did not go #1 overall in the draft. Rosen simply has a stronger arm, but I doubt he can match Ryan's intangibles and leadership qualities.

4 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Ryan has an average starter's arm, quite sufficient for the NFL, but he does not have a really strong arm and that is why he did not go #1 overall in the draft. Rosen simply has a stronger arm, but I doubt he can match Ryan's intangibles and leadership qualities.

Matt Ryan didn't go #1 because Miami's Front Office was terrible and they went Need over BPA. Look at the air under some his throws Julio or Sanu they really fly out there. He isn't the strongest arm in the NFL but far from the average you put him at.

I really like what I'm seeing from The kid out of Virginia. Benkurt. He's athletic and has good arm strength and shows accuracy and ball placement. What worries me is consistency. He started out hot and cooked a bit then ripped Miami a new one. 

There are times he doesn't stand tall in the pocket and throws unbalanced. I need to see more but I likexhim. 

Lamar Jackson- I'm really impressed how he's grown as a passer. Add that to his athleticism , this guy can be unstoppable at all levels. Again, I think the team thy drafts him should sit him until ready. I think he needs to add some bulk to his lower half. 10 lbs overall if he's going to run the rock like that or learn how to slide. 

42 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

I really like what I'm seeing from The kid out of Virginia. Benkurt. He's athletic and has good arm strength and shows accuracy and ball placement. What worries me is consistency. He started out hot and cooked a bit then ripped Miami a new one. 

There are times he doesn't stand tall in the pocket and throws unbalanced. I need to see more but I likexhim. 

Lamar Jackson- I'm really impressed how he's grown as a passer. Add that to his athleticism , this guy can be unstoppable at all levels. Again, I think the team thy drafts him should sit him until ready. I think he needs to add some bulk to his lower half. 10 lbs overall if he's going to run the rock like that or learn how to slide. 

I've had my eye on Benkert.  He looks first round at times, and then drops a clunker.  Shreds Miami one week and then completes 50% of his passes for a scoreless 186 against VATech the next.  I like him, but he has to clean some things up.

36 minutes ago, Groink said:

I've had my eye on Benkert.  He looks first round at times, and then drops a clunker.  Shreds Miami one week and then completes 50% of his passes for a scoreless 186 against VATech the next.  I like him, but he has to clean some things up.

His mechanics and throwing motion remind me a bit of stafford. He may not have that type of arm but similar athleticism. He might be a guy New England is looking at that can mold him in another year to develop behind Brady. 

9 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

When the former NFL.com scouts talk about a player's build, you can be sure, they consider him maxed out as far as gaining weight is concerned. If they believe a prospect can add weight, they say so, they do not talk about him having a thin frame.

It isn't his weight that is the issue, it is the fact that his lower body does not carry a lot of it, making him an injury risk every time he is tackled low and for a QB who runs a lot, that is truly worrisome.

What he offers is the ability to escape a pass rush and when Vick played, his team never had to use a high pick on an OLman, because Vick was so quick, he could escape any pass rush and didn't need top notch pass blocking defenders all that much. I would rate Lamar as a far superior passer to Vick who was terribly inaccurate and threw every ball at top speed, he could not take something off the ball when necessary.

That's nice if former NFL.com scouts think so. It doesn't apply at all to my evals. They have a ton of misses every year. I feel his size isn't an issue and have seen several guys with builds that are pretty close to Jackson have success and not get hurt due to a perceived lack of size. I won't go too far into this as it has been discussed already several times.

I agree regarding Jackson being a more advanced passer coming out compared to Vick.

His running is not going to work in the league like it does in college.  He's still got work to do on his game from the pocket, which he's seemingly doing, as it's progressively gotten better each season.  So I don't doubt he can be successful if put into the right offensive situation and given the opportunity and time to learn.  You can look at someone like RGIII with a similar game to Jackson who failed to adapt and is out of the league.

I still want Darnold and Rosen over Jackson all day.

4 hours ago, Groink said:

His running is not going to work in the league like it does in college.  He's still got work to do on his game from the pocket, which he's seemingly doing, as it's progressively gotten better each season.  So I don't doubt he can be successful if put into the right offensive situation and given the opportunity and time to learn.  You can look at someone like RGIII with a similar game to Jackson who failed to adapt and is out of the league.

I still want Darnold and Rosen over Jackson all day.

RG3 wasn't as elusive as Jackson. Jackson evades tacklers like a scat back. Secondly, RG3 pre-injury was a franchise QB. 

2 minutes ago, K-Ro 25 said:

RG3 wasn't as elusive as Jackson. Jackson evades tacklers like a scat back. Secondly, RG3 pre-injury was a franchise QB

Isn't every 1st round QB taken a franchise QB before injuries/flameouts? Griffin was a hot commodity that was bound to fail, whether it was his attitude or defenses being schemed to stop him is the only question imo. 

4 hours ago, K-Ro 25 said:

RG3 wasn't as elusive as Jackson. Jackson evades tacklers like a scat back. Secondly, RG3 pre-injury was a franchise QB. 

That's extremely debatable. we don't know what he would have done long term. Like Kaepernick, he could have been exposed by defenses and unable to adjust. There were reports that he was struggling to read defenses and get rid of the ball out of Cleveland last year. That part of his game shouldn't be hampered by the injury. That  also wouldn't bode well for trying to adjust to defenses that schemed against his college style offense. 

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Isn't every 1st round QB taken a franchise QB before injuries/flameouts? Griffin was a hot commodity that was bound to fail, whether it was his attitude or defenses being schemed to stop him is the only question imo. 

I think shanahn explained this on first take that his attitude was the problem. He thought he was already there in year 1 when shanny was still advising he needed to learn how to be a drop back passer. I believe injury or no injury his attitude and uncoachable character that would have him in the same spot today. 

21 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

I think shanahn explained this on first take that his attitude was the problem. He thought he was already there in year 1 when shanny was still advising he needed to learn how to be a drop back passer. I believe injury or no injury his attitude and uncoachable character that would have him in the same spot today. 

Daniel Snyder apparently did no favors toward his development either. 

1 hour ago, REDandPEWTER said:

It is quite interesting, because it is rumoured that Shanny insisted they draft Cousins as well and that is why they drafted him in round 3 after spending a fortune in picks to secure RG3.

If Shanahan is responsible for the Cousin's pick, then if he says it is RG3's attitude that was the problem. I fully believe him. QB's simply have to want to get better every season and have to work hard at their profession, or they will not get better and I suspect RG3 would have failed with or without injury.

9 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

It is quite interesting, because it is rumoured that Shanny insisted they draft Cousins as well and that is why they drafted him in round 3 after spending a fortune in picks to secure RG3.

If Shanahan is responsible for the Cousin's pick, then if he says it is RG3's attitude that was the problem. I fully believe him. QB's simply have to want to get better every season and have to work hard at their profession, or they will not get better and I suspect RG3 would have failed with or without injury.

It's actually worse than that in my opinion. I can understand if Shanny just absolutely loved Cousins and wanted to draft him even with RG3. But it wasn't just about Cousins - the talk was that they were going to take Russell Wilson with their pick in the 4th round before Seattle took him in the third, which resulted in Washington taking Cousins instead. So they were taking a quarterback regardless there - even though they had just given up all that capital to take RG3. That should say more than enough about how the Shanahans felt about Rg3 overall. 

When the Washington Redskins selected Robert Griffin III in the 2012 NFL Draft, many expected that they wouldn’t select a second quarterback. They did indeed, and that man was Kirk Cousins. At the time, there was a great deal of surprise when the Redskins did select Cousins. It was widely assumed that after selecting Griffin, the team would roll with Rex Grossman as the backup and there would be no need to add another player at the position.

Instead, Cousins did come off the board, but he wasn’t the top player that the team was hoping to get in the fourth round. As Kyle Shanahan recently brought up, the Redskins were hoping to get RG3 in the first round and then draft Russell Wilson in the fourth round. Mike Shanahan has also confirmed this in the past,

Scot McGloughan also talks about it on his interview with Adam Schefter on his podcast. I believe that he was with Seattle at the time

Archived