2018 Draft Eligible QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

As for Lamar Jackson, his talent level is top 10, but his build will scare off at least a few teams. Pro QB's take a beating every game and QB's who are likely to run a lot, get beat up even more, so teams will question his build, but the talent could easily see him go top 5.

As for Stidham, he is a better prospect than Rudolph, Falk, or Finley.

Darnold and Rosen will fight it out all season and will go 1/2 in this year's draft, unless Lamar sneaks in, it just takes one GM to fall in love with Jackson. Their Combine or Pro day will likely decide the winner.

We have to remember, college QB's come out as juniors in today's world and are far rawer that previous generation's QB prospects. They are not finished products and will look questionable in some games, but it will not effect their draft status.

2 minutes ago, Da_Ducktator said:

I talked about him briefly here: 

Thanks. Do you really think he's undersized? Isn't he like 6-2 215? Maybe the low side of average, but I wouldn't say undersized.

Is your grade more a function of his skill set or competition?

12 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Thanks. Do you really think he's undersized? Isn't he like 6-2 215? Maybe the low side of average, but I wouldn't say undersized.

Is your grade more a function of his skill set or competition?

I'm not 100 percent sure he is going to clear 6'2" when he gets measured and even so, 215 is still a below average weight as well even at that height.

I clearly like Schor (as you mentioned, nobody is even talking about a kid who is now 25-3 as a starter), but while he has had success it still is a steep curve going from FCS to the NFL, specifically if you're not playing in the Missouri Valley. Schor has a solid skill-set, and while he throws a great deep ball, shows good mobility, and has a knack for making the most out of chaotic situations, I don't see him driving the intermediate throws much. I loved Jimmy Garoppolo as a prospect and Joe Flacco (had both as 1st rounders, albeit Jimmy G a late 1st) because both showed elite arms in college. I see a functional, but not great arm from Schor. So, the grade is a bit of a combination of both.

Lots of big games left for Schor though that I'm excited to see. Going head-to-head against Kyle Lauletta this week and getting to face a top 10 program in Elon to cap off the regular season before diving into the playoffs will all be good opportunities for the JMU QB. Because these FCS guys get a playoff, a lot of stock gets put into the playoff games. Huge, huge reason I fell in love with Flacco because he carried a subpar Delaware team a lot farther than they ever should have gone.

On 11/6/2017 at 2:32 PM, ronjon1990 said:

If the Browns get the #1 overall pick, I could see him going #1 overall. Nuff said.

All jokes aside, I think his passing is bad enough to drop from the 1st to the late 2nd/early 3rd. He has tremendous athletic ability, but as a QB, he's a shot-in-the-dark prospect. I think he may be able to switch positions, which could be a good thing. But then, do you want to be the coach/gm that takes a gadget guy with a 1st round pick? 

Lamar's only weakness is his slight build, he has the arm and pretty well everything else you look for in a franchise QB and is very likely to go top 10, if not top 5,  in the draft. He is the second coming of Michael Vick with a lot more accuracy and touch.

Because of his build, some teams will pass on him as they will worry about the length of his career, but some desperate QB team will draft him quite high.

On 11/6/2017 at 1:32 PM, ronjon1990 said:

If the Browns get the #1 overall pick, I could see him going #1 overall. Nuff said.

All jokes aside, I think his passing is bad enough to drop from the 1st to the late 2nd/early 3rd. He has tremendous athletic ability, but as a QB, he's a shot-in-the-dark prospect. I think he may be able to switch positions, which could be a good thing. But then, do you want to be the coach/gm that takes a gadget guy with a 1st round pick? 

Yeah if the Browns or any other teams that need a QB are picking number 1 overall I could certainly see Lamar Jackson going there. Nuff said.

Switch positions? The guy has the arm to make all the throws at the next level. I HIGHLY doubt he makes it to the 2nd round let alone the 3rd round as his passing is just fine. Just about every QB prospect is essentially a "shot-in-the-dark". Why would he switch positions? He's a great QB prospect.

31 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Yeah if the Browns or any other teams that need a QB are picking number 1 overall I could certainly see Lamar Jackson going there. Nuff said.

Switch positions? The guy has the arm to make all the throws at the next level. I HIGHLY doubt he makes it to the 2nd round let alone the 3rd round as his passing is just fine. Just about every QB prospect is essentially a "shot-in-the-dark". Why would he switch positions? He's a great QB prospect.

If that is your evaluation, I won't argue it. But for me, having "the arm" says very little. While popguns don't work, simply having a howitzer does little to excite me. Jamarcus Russell had the arm to make throws nobody else on the planet could make. I see shoddy accuracy and a tendency to run first from Jackson. His accuracy has improved a little, so there is some hope there I suppose. But coupled with his build, I can see teams shying away. 

48 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

Lamar's only weakness is his slight build, he has the arm and pretty well everything else you look for in a franchise QB and is very likely to go top 10, if not top 5,  in the draft. He is the second coming of Michael Vick with a lot more accuracy and touch.

Because of his build, some teams will pass on him as they will worry about the length of his career, but some desperate QB team will draft him quite high.

I already gave my opinion of Vick. He was decent, not world changing. People talk about and defend Lamar Jackson like he is going to revolutionize the position (much like they did with Griffin- who I think he's closer to). 

I do agree though, his build is terrifyingly thin. I'm glad someone else understands this. I debated someone on here who apparently only reads "6'3, 213" and assumes all people are built the same based purely on height/weight. Jackson is skinny with a ton of lean muscle. Dude told me Jackson could easily bulk up to 225-230. No chance his frame could carry that kind of weight. I think its a major injury risk. 

22 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I already gave my opinion of Vick. He was decent, not world changing. People talk about and defend Lamar Jackson like he is going to revolutionize the position (much like they did with Griffin- who I think he's closer to). 

I do agree though, his build is terrifyingly thin. I'm glad someone else understands this. I debated someone on here who apparently only reads "6'3, 213" and assumes all people are built the same based purely on height/weight. Jackson is skinny with a ton of lean muscle. Dude told me Jackson could easily bulk up to 225-230. No chance his frame could carry that kind of weight. I think its a major injury risk. 

LOL this crap again. 

HE IS 20 YEARS OLD...

Such a silly argument.

Alex Smith listed at 6'4" 212lbs

Andy Dalton listed at 6'2" 215lbs

Steve Young listed at 6'2" 215lbs

Derek Carr listed at 6'2" 214lbs

Teddy Bridgewater 6'2" 214lbs (*His only injury was a non-contact injury in practice)

Also if you are going to call someone out maybe make sure to get the details right. WHAT A JOKE!

tyler735 wrote: 

"If Lamar Jackson is listed at around 212 lbs right now. He undoubtedly can get to around 215lbs-220lbs with no issue, there is no point to this. There have been ZERO doctor's/personal trainers that have gone on record saying Jackson can't put anymore weight on, and I would imagine they wouldn't do so as he is 20 years old. Doesn't take an expert to know that the human male typically grows in their 20's." 

11 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

LOL this crap again. 

HE IS 20 YEARS OLD...

Such a silly argument.

Alex Smith listed at 6'4" 212lbs

Andy Dalton listed at 6'2" 215lbs

Steve Young listed at 6'2" 215lbs

Derek Carr listed at 6'2" 214lbs

Teddy Bridgewater 6'2" 214lbs (*His only injury was a non-contact injury in practice)

Also if you are going to call someone out maybe make sure to get the details right. WHAT A JOKE!

tyler735 wrote: 

"If Lamar Jackson is listed at around 212 lbs right now. He undoubtedly can get to around 215lbs-220lbs with no issue, there is no point to this. There have been ZERO doctor's/personal trainers that have gone on record saying Jackson can't put anymore weight on, and I would imagine they wouldn't do so as he is 20 years old. Doesn't take an expert to know that the human male typically grows in their 20's." 

Wow dude, do you need your diaper changed? If I was going to call YOU out, I would have. I have a friend in the real world who also posts on here. We've had this debate millions of times.  Thanks for proving the point again though.

People like you do nothing but ruin boards like this with your immaturity and irrational victim complex. The point of these boards is debate, not flat out arguing and throwing a hissy fit when someone disagrees with you. Grow up man. 

People like you do nothing but ruin boards like this with your immaturity and irrational victim complex. The point of these boards is debate, not flat out arguing and throwing a hissy fit when someone disagrees with you. Grow up man. 

He has basically admitted that he believes Lamar is the best QB prospect in like 20 years. He has a clear bias and to avoid this, you probably should just ignore him on all topics related to Lamar. And I don't mean this in a disparaging way, its toatally fine to think someone is the GOAT prospect, but holding a player to that type of regard usually indicates bias and bias hinder conversation. Its just a no-go-zone.

3 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

He has basically admitted that he believes Lamar is the best QB prospect in like 20 years. He has a clear bias and to avoid this, you probably should just ignore him on all topics related to Lamar. And I don't mean this in a disparaging way, its toatally fine to think someone is the GOAT prospect, but holding a player to that type of regard usually indicates bias and bias hinder conversation. Its just a no-go-zone.

How have I admitted he's the best prospect in 20 years? 

If you are referring to our exchange below. Then it appears that you misinterpreted what I said pretty badly... 

On 9/21/2017 at 2:35 PM, BroncosFan2010 said:

I understand that Rogers the prospect isn't the same as rogers the NFL QB, but at this point to clear some air in this thread I am going to have to ask A) Where do you think Lamar Jackson ranks in this draft class (IE: #1, #50, #100) and B) Where does he rank in your mind among the top QB's coming out in, say, the past 15 years.

Understanding those questions will make the argument, and whether the argument should continue, a lot more clear IMO.

On 9/21/2017 at 4:00 PM, tyler735 said:

Rodgers as an NFL player without doubt is a very high expectation. I won't say it's impossible for Jackson, but also not very likely to ever hit that level of greatness as Rodgers could be a top 5 guy ever at QB by the time he retires. However as a prospect Rodgers went late in the 1st round and wasn't the 1st QB selected in that draft even. 

As for your question on Jackson, the remainder of this season will be a major factor in determining where I have him ranked. If he continues to show that he's progressed as a passer, he has the talent to be my top QB prospect in the past 15 years. However that is a big "IF" and I'm not sure that is going to be the case yet. With Lamar Jackson his physical traits (Arm Strength/Athleticism/etc.) obviously are very rare. From that standpoint, I think only Mike Vick, Cam Newton, and RG3 are on that level of pure natural talent as a prospect. The biggest thing will be seeing how he matures with the mental aspect of his game as this is obviously crucial in NFL success. I think there has been a noticeable leap forward in that regard so far this season, and will be interesting to see how it progresses in the coming weeks.  

On 9/21/2017 at 5:01 PM, BroncosFan2010 said:

Ya, I was sorta baiting you on that one. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and even I think Lamar is a R1 prospect, but the idea that he is better than Luck, Winston, Stafford, Eli, Rivers, Ben and even Carson as a projectable NFL franchise QB is a huge, huge stretch. Those guys were all miles and miles ahead of Lamar as a passer and field reader coming out of college.

I think Lamar is the most exciting prospect, and his physical traits are unreal, but there is so, so much more to the game at the QB level in the NFL. Running and mobility are, IMO, the most overrated traits a QB can possess. They hypnotize you and make you salivate at 60+ yard, Madden type plays but that just doesn't really happen in this league with the speed of defenses.

He is a special physical talent, but he has miles and miles to go before he can be considered a special Quarterback, and therein lies the difference.

On 9/21/2017 at 6:24 PM, tyler735 said:

Yeah I noticed that with the wording on the previous post lol. I can't say I agree with all of that, but I can respect that opinion as there are obviously some unknowns with Jackson still. The next 10 games will be crucial in getting a more accurate gauge of how far Jackson has progressed as a passer

Again at what point did I say he was my top rated prospect of the past 20 years..

The closest I said was that he has some very rare tools for the position that depending how he progresses this season as a passer will determine where I rate him. I certainly do think that natural gifts he possesses does give him a chance to be my top guy in the past 15 years, but whether or not that is actually the case remains to be seen as I highlight multiple times above. 

On 11/6/2017 at 9:23 PM, Iamcanadian said:

As for Lamar Jackson, his talent level is top 10, but his build will scare off at least a few teams. Pro QB's take a beating every game and QB's who are likely to run a lot, get beat up even more, so teams will question his build, but the talent could easily see him go top 5.

As for Stidham, he is a better prospect than Rudolph, Falk, or Finley.

Darnold and Rosen will fight it out all season and will go 1/2 in this year's draft, unless Lamar sneaks in, it just takes one GM to fall in love with Jackson. Their Combine or Pro day will likely decide the winner.

We have to remember, college QB's come out as juniors in today's world and are far rawer that previous generation's QB prospects. They are not finished products and will look questionable in some games, but it will not effect their draft status.

Ya know, after the first couple games, I wasn't so sure about Stidham. He's definitely proven me wrong. I can't say I see a franchise guy but I can definitely see him being one of those long term backups that teams don't wanna get rid of. 

I think overall this class only has Darnold and Rosen as franchise level talent. I'm really interested in seeing who comes out and how the Combine helps/hurts some of the middle round guys. I've been high on Riley Ferguson so far and keep seeing more and more I like from him. In your opinion, Stidham or Ferguson? 

23 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Wow dude, do you need your diaper changed? If I was going to call YOU out, I would have. I have a friend in the real world who also posts on here. We've had this debate millions of times.  Thanks for proving the point again though.

Nope good on the diaper change decided to lay off the Chipotle today so I think I should be alright. 

Your welcome for proving my point again.

"I debated someone on here who apparently only reads "6'3, 213" and assumes all people are built the same based purely on height/weight. Jackson is skinny with a ton of lean muscle. Dude told me Jackson could easily bulk up to 225-230. No chance his frame could carry that kind of weight."

Yes, I'm sure the above is worded in a way that is directed towards your "friend in the real world". 

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/1088-2018-draft-eligible-qb-thread/?page=15

HAHA well played on the victim card. Impressive trying to call someone out "playing the victim card" while yourself "playing the victim card" in the very same post...Bravo..

Arguing/Throwing a hissy fit? Nope, if I'm adding substance and facts to my posts then I'd hardly call that "Throwing a hissy fit"..

Archived