2018 Draft Eligible QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

On 10/18/2017 at 3:21 AM, Tugboat said:

Only caught part of the game, but Stat line is probably exaggerating how catastrophic it was a bit.  Two of the INTs were tipped balls off his WRs (one thrown badly behind though). One other INT wasn't even a pass, just a little flip play gone wrong.  But still a pretty catastrophic draft-stock tanking evening.

Didn't look that good to me the week before vs Oregon either.

Still don't think that's entirely the case.  The bulk numbers are a product of that system for sure...but he still does translatable things within that system.  I think it's a system that fits and flatters his strengths/weaknesses well (usually).  He's got some real flaws though.  The more i watch of him, the more the deep ball accuracy looks erratic.  And he continues to take sacks he doesn't need to, holding onto the ball too long.  Not trending the right way with his execution of that system even.  Starting to wonder a bit about the head injury stuff with him too.

Probably just levels his stock back off to where it should be.  Maybe a Day2 sort of flier.  Unless the wheels completely come off or something.

His HC has always used an offensive system that hides his QB's weaknesses and not one of them, even with all the gaudy stats in the world, has ever come close to being a NFL QB. Falk is just more of the same. He is a 6th or 7th rounder at best.

1 hour ago, Iamcanadian said:

His HC has always used an offensive system that hides his QB's weaknesses and not one of them, even with all the gaudy stats in the world, has ever come close to being a NFL QB. Falk is just more of the same. He is a 6th or 7th rounder at best.

You scout the player, not the coach though.

That system certainly has to play into the evaluation process...but it's still about what the guy on the field can/cannot do.  Not just writing guys off because they come from a system that is indeed notorious for inflating yardage and completion percentage totals.

22 hours ago, Tugboat said:

You scout the player, not the coach though.

That system certainly has to play into the evaluation process...but it's still about what the guy on the field can/cannot do.  Not just writing guys off because they come from a system that is indeed notorious for inflating yardage and completion percentage totals.

There is a certain amount of truth in that, you always have to have an open mind to possibilities, but scouts and GM's keep a thick book on the tendencies of where experienced college HC's place their better athletes and how they recruit for positions. It rarely varies for college HC's if for instance, they place their better linemen on offense or defense, TE's VS LBers, CB's vs WR's, RB's vs DB's etc. etc. It is a big part of understanding how good a player may be. That is why certain colleges get called LB (U)niversity or DB (U)niversity or WR (U)niversity etc.

Leach knows he can win with a QB who has certain skills and Washington St. does not get much of an opportunity to recruit the top high school QB's, so you always have to approach his QB's with a keen eye, you cannot just take their production at face value. For instance, if Falk had a gun for an arm, you are going to take a far closer look at him, but if it is or close to a noodle, you will put it down as just another Leach type QB.

20 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Lamar Jackson can have the same success that Watson has had.

is that a long term success though? Honestly, I'm still not in love with Watson as of yet. I'm typically more of a "need to see it over a longer period of time" type guy, so it could just be that, but I haven't completely loved Watson as of yet. I am worried about his long term sustainability at this point in time. 

6 hours ago, Forge said:

is that a long term success though? Honestly, I'm still not in love with Watson as of yet. I'm typically more of a "need to see it over a longer period of time" type guy, so it could just be that, but I haven't completely loved Watson as of yet. I am worried about his long term sustainability at this point in time. 

I’m not a believer yet either.

On 10/21/2017 at 6:36 PM, jrry32 said:

Baker Mayfield is such a weird prospect. He's what everyone wanted Johnny Manziel to be because Mayfield actually has character. He's going to be a really tough evaluation.

My #1 QB in next years draft.  The height scares me, but I just love watching him compete...

37 minutes ago, Zed Rational said:

The more I look at the quarterbacks in this upcoming draft, the more I believe that Baker Mayfield is going to be the best of the bunch. But I'd still be afraid to draft him with a top-ten pick. 

Exactly even though they don't look like pro QBs Bakey Mayfield and Lamar Jackson are my top 2 QBs but I wouldn't take either in the top 10

Baker Mayfield is such a weird prospect. He's what everyone wanted Johnny Manziel to be because Mayfield actually has character. He's going to be a really tough evaluation.

You nailed the head on this one.  Easily one of the most difficult evaluations I've made.  Your head says no, but your heart says yes.

You nailed the head on this one.  Easily one of the most difficult evaluations I've made.  Your head says no, but your heart says yes.

Any QB in my opinion rises or falls starting his 2nd season, after teams have studied his tendencies and weaknesses. He is new to defenders and DC's and it always takes awhile for them to catch up to a rookie QB if he has some solid qualities, so for me, a rookie QB always remains questionable until he repeats or even improves upon his performance in year 2 and then explodes in year 3, with having enough experience to really use a full playbook.

On 10/23/2017 at 3:29 PM, candyman93 said:

Lamar Jackson can have the same success that Watson has had.

I will disagree.  I do not think he has displayed the accuracy in throwing that Watson had in college.  I am not sure about his decision making.

One player I was hoping for a better season was Nick Fitzgerald Miss St.  I think he has potential.

Archived