2018 Draft Eligible QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

Allen willl have other chances to prove himself. Personally, he's not my cup of tea, but I absolutely see why people would fawn over him. He makes NFL throws. He has an NFL body. When he's playing well, he looks like a starter in the NFL. He and that offense are a work in progress. We'll see where they go as the season progresses. Right now you can't justify taking him in the first round if the season were to end today. 

13 hours ago, Scout said:

Allen's stock continues to fall

He' going to need to go back to school without a big run to end the season. This is has been atrocious. The lack of talent argument only goes so far - i mean Cutler had no talent at Vandy when he was there and was playing the SEC, he still wasn't this bad. His game has just been off so far this year.  Last year, I watched enough of his games that I would have taken him in the second round I said; this year, he's put up showings that scream late round flier territory.  I loved Allen last year, was a big supporter. Maybe he ends the season on a big run or something, but right now he can't be in consideration at the top of this quarterback class. 

27 minutes ago, Groink said:

Allen should've struck when the iron was hot and left instead of sticking around for this dumpster fire.  I still like him but the accuracy is a problem, bad wideout play aside.

The thing that kind of bugs me is that last year, even in mathchups where Wyoming was thoroughly outclassed, he still flashed. The flash is completely gone this year. Where is this guy? 

That's from the dreaded Nebraska game. He had like 6 turnovers and in the 4th quarter in particular, it was a total cluster mess. But he still made a couple of throws like this where you were like, "Okay, I get it". But there is none of that this year. 

10 hours ago, Forge said:

He' going to need to go back to school without a big run to end the season. This is has been atrocious. The lack of talent argument only goes so far - i mean Cutler had no talent at Vandy when he was there and was playing the SEC, he still wasn't this bad. His game has just been off so far this year.  Last year, I watched enough of his games that I would have taken him in the second round I said; this year, he's put up showings that scream late round flier territory.  I loved Allen last year, was a big supporter. Maybe he ends the season on a big run or something, but right now he can't be in consideration at the top of this quarterback class. 

Yeah it's really disappointing. I went in with a late 1st round grade myself. Right now he's struggling in the most important areas for a QB. Consistent accuracy, processing, and poise. I'll probably end up with a 3rd round grade on Allen. More worried about these seniors at the moment. 

On 9/16/2017 at 10:57 AM, tyler735 said:

Russell Wilson was almost 3 years older when he came into the league if Jackson is around 220lbs in the next year or 2 he's right around the same size as guys like Brett Favre (who was somewhat durable if memory serves me right), Aaron Rodgers, and Steve Young who was 6'2" 215lbs in the NFL. He made a pretty good career being a running QB. In a time when QBs weren't protected like they currently are. Randall Cunningham also had success in a time when QBs got more frequently hit. Cunningham was even taller and lankier than Jackson as he was 6'4" 212lbs.

Also 4+ inches likely won't be accurate between Jackson and Wilson. How many times do we see a guy listed at a certain height get slightly rounded up by an inch or so vy the school website. It will likely be about a 3 inch difference. Regardless I'm pretty set in my stance on this. Injuries have yet to be a concern for Jackson. There have been other guys that have been similar size and even smaller succeed in the NFL.

Wilson had/has a more compact build than Jackson. 

It has little to do with pure height/weight. Jackson simply isn't built like Brett Favre or even Steve Young. He's built a little bit like Rodgers coming out, but even that's a bit of a stretch, and injuries were a concern for him. I

Jackson is very very thin. He's not exactly Robert Griffin III thin, but he's thin. And Griffin played at 6'2 218. Aaron Rodgers is listed at 6'2 225. That's only 7 lbs of difference, but nobody would say that Griffin and Rodgers "are about the same size". The difference in how they carry that weight is huge. Heck, just look at Brian Hoyer. He's listed at 6'2 215 and he looks bigger than Teddy Bridgewater who is listed at about the same. Build is a very peculiar thing. 

54 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Wilson had/has a more compact build than Jackson. 

It has little to do with pure height/weight. Jackson simply isn't built like Brett Favre or even Steve Young. He's built a little bit like Rodgers coming out, but even that's a bit of a stretch, and injuries were a concern for him. I

Jackson is very very thin. He's not exactly Robert Griffin III thin, but he's thin. And Griffin played at 6'2 218. Aaron Rodgers is listed at 6'2 225. That's only 7 lbs of difference, but nobody would say that Griffin and Rodgers "are about the same size". The difference in how they carry that weight is huge. Heck, just look at Brian Hoyer. He's listed at 6'2 215 and he looks bigger than Teddy Bridgewater who is listed at about the same. Build is a very peculiar thing. 

Randall Cunningham? There are several examples of guys that were fine. You can cite "build" but if they are nearly identical size I'm not buying it being all that relevant. Agree to disagree I suppose. To my knowledge Lamar Jackson has had no injury history so far in his career. At this point it's not high on my list of concerns.

28 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Randall Cunningham? There are several examples of guys that were fine. You can cite "build" but if they are nearly identical size I'm not buying it being all that relevant. Agree to disagree I suppose. To my knowledge Lamar Jackson has had no injury history so far in his career. At this point it's not high on my list of concerns.

So you are blind? Two guys can be 6'4 220 and look completely different. That is relevant. 

Several examples? Randall Cunningham is the only one you can cite that has a similar build to Lamar Jackson. 

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

So you are blind? Two guys can be 6'4 220 and look completely different. That is relevant. 

Several examples? Randall Cunningham is the only one you can cite that has a similar build to Lamar Jackson. 

Nope it is really being built into something that isn't all that relevant. Lamar Jackson will likely be about 6'2" 215+ lbs by the time the he's at the combine. That is hardly cause for concern. I already listed several others with similar dimensions that were fine in the NFL. You can call it different "build" all you want but he's a similar size to pretty much all the guys I've mentioned in this thread

2 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Nope it is really being built into something that isn't all that relevant. Lamar Jackson will likely be about 6'2" 215+ lbs by the time the he's at the combine. That is hardly cause for concern. I already listed several others with similar dimensions that were fine in the NFL. You can call it different "build" all you want but he's a similar size to pretty much all the guys I've mentioned in this thread

6'2 215 is the same as a guy like Steve Young on paper which is all well and good. But it isn't "similar size" to really ANY of the guys you mentioned. He isn't built like Steve Young, Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers. He's built like Teddy Bridgewater and Robert Griffin III, both of whom have had their careers derailed by injury. You can't cite "dimensions" and then refer to a guy like Steve Young who carried his 215 lbs in a more bulky way than Jackson. If Jackson wanted to be "similar" in size to a Favre, Young, etc., he would probably need to bulk up to 230 lbs because he carries his weight on a much smaller frame. 

Archived