2018 FIFA World Cup Group E & Group F

LeeEvans

Alright, just saw the replay, in full, of the handball, that is as blatant as you get, and the official should immediately be pulled from the game and replaced, it's that bad. Okay, not that bad, but he's clearly looking at the ball, he clearly plays it with his arm, he isn't jumping, there is nothing that would keep that from being a straight yellow and a penalty, it was extremely blatant and that is something that VAR should have fixed, which it was looked at and the ref on the field didn't call it, so that means he should be done at the World Cup.

3 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

This the problem with VAR, how can you give the one against Portugal but not this one?

It's so inconsistent.

The penalty called against Portugal was a very similar arm angle to the one not called against Argentina yesterday.  The difference being the Portugal defender had the ball coming at him from point blank range where Argentina's defender had plenty of time to react.  So if they only called one, it should have been opposite.  I am not a fan of VAR, just accept human error.  There are more PKs than before due to it (which I don't like because most would never result in a goal outside of being awarded a PK), no consistency, takes too long, etc.

The non-call on the hand ball is not necessarily a VAR problem - VAR picked up that it should be looked at again and it was, which is the system working as designed.  The problem was the ref saw the vision and still decided it wasn't a hand ball.

2 minutes ago, drd23 said:

If MEX-SWE stays 1-0, I'm pretty sure Germany need to score 2 goals and win to get through

If so, Germany is in a world of hurt-basically dependent on Mexico.  They don't look dangerous at all.  Can't see them scoring twice.

If MEX-SWE stays 1-0, I'm pretty sure Germany need to score 2 goals and win to get through

I think Sweden needs to beat whatever Germany does. So if they both win, Sweden needs to win by 2. As it looks Sweden absolutely have that ability. Mexico has been pretty poor.

pfff. Thats like saying its 2 minutes left in Foxborough, Pats are down 2 and Tom Brady gets the ball on the 30 yard line. No way in hell is it not happening.

5 minutes ago, drd23 said:

I think 1 and a win is enough isn't it?

EDIT: Yeah they go through because they beat Sweden and that is the tie break with them tied (Mexico goes first with GD breaking the 3 way tie)

18 minutes ago, mse326 said:

But is that a problem with VAR or the refereeing in general. VAR said to look at both. The refs made different decisions. That seems to not be inconsistent on the VAR front.

But VAR should be black and white.

If the ref doesn't know VAR just seems to further confuses matters.

Archived