2018 FIFA World Cup Group E & Group F

LeeEvans

1 minute ago, mse326 said:

Yup. That non penalty in the 1st though now looms even larger because Sweden probably deserved more than 1 in the first.

Yea but that assumes the game plays out the exact same way which is doubtful. 

This World Cup has been amazing. 

1 minute ago, mse326 said:

Yup. That non penalty in the 1st though now looms even larger because Sweden probably deserved more than 1 in the first.

Without a doubt. I imagine that was the major reason behind the confrontations on the sideline. 

1 minute ago, PAW said:

Yea but that assumes the game plays out the exact same way which is doubtful. 

This World Cup has been amazing. 

Oh no doubt, I'm not assuming that. But as you said it completely changes things. Maybe their goal they got doesn't happen so it could still be 1-0 at half. But when you have such a blatant missed penalty and that team loses by 1 it is certainly a big thing.

Just now, sunnygsm said:

The amount of stoppage time in games seems a bit excessive. 

I haven't noticed any excessive ones. Here 5 sounds about right. 3 minutes on subs alone. About another 1 after the Germany goal (first one). 1 minute more within a half especially with Sweden going a bit slower is pretty reasonable.

42 minutes ago, The Hitch said:

Germany are like the Patriots. No matter what happens they always win. Even the games where you think omg you might actually see them have a bad season for once, things just happen in the last minute

Good because I'm rooting for Germany the rest of the way

4 hours ago, mse326 said:

I haven't noticed any excessive ones. Here 5 sounds about right. 3 minutes on subs alone. About another 1 after the Germany goal (first one). 1 minute more within a half especially with Sweden going a bit slower is pretty reasonable.

Might be because I watch La Liga more than any other domestic league (and they tend to have less stoppage time than other leagues) but I thought 5 minutes was excessive too

I think VAR has been very good this tournament but that non-referral for the foul on Berg was probably the second worst decision they've made after not giving a penalty for when Kane was rugby tackled.  That was pretty clearly a penalty imo

The criticism for Boateng was over the top. Given how deep Sweden were playing and how good he is on the ball, I have no issue in him driving forward with the ball. Now if he’s doing that without the ball, fair. It’s what he has done for Bayern and Low has given him that freedom.

That Free-kick by Kronos though, sheesh.

6 hours ago, PAW said:

Outside that free kick, Kroos has been pretty bad both games. 

This is true, but in fairness Khedira and Gundogan have been pretty poo and Ozil, while statistically sound, is his usual "tends to disappear too easily" self; honestly, I'm not sure the rest of the German side (particularly the veterans) have ever learned how to play with him operating anywhere but the wing as a wide-facilitator.  It's why I took no issue with Low yanking him from the starting XI because ideally you want Mueller able to play in that AMF (kind of 1/2 false-#9, 1/2 migrating central mid) spot.  Rudy was playing well till the injury today.

Archived