Putting the Training (Camp) Wheels On!

swede700

The real major position battles to me are clearly WR #1, CB #2 and OLB #3

WR with Diggs and Thielen of course but that third one is up in the air between the likes of Wright, Treadwell and King, and they will be pushed maybe by Coley or long shot Wieneke.  I think Wright and Treadwell with share time, no one will beat the other out and both have two different skill sets, and they need a big body guy like Treadwell.  But long term doubt they resign him, especially if Wieneke can flash something.

At that opposite LB spot outside of Barr and Kendricks is not that strong.  Gedeon sure but I think Downs could maybe push him but that is a long shot, more likely Eric Wilson or even another long shot Garret Dooley maybe.  Gedeon had a good year but was not a huge fan of his athletically in terms of range, then again might not matter because they will play nickle so often and no even have three linebackers on the field.

Then at corner you have obviously Rhodes and Waynes, third one being maybe Alexander or Hughes, maybe Newman or Sherels or even long shot Hill.  To me clearly Newman is gone after this year if not before depending the start of the season on his health, and Sherels is safe this year just for security return man but is long gone by the end of this season as well.   Would be nice to see some improvement out of Kearse at safety and or see what Tocho can bring to the table.  Harris is consistent and has the backup spot but need some more depth would be nice there also.  

Honestly, I’m not sure there’s much competition for that #3 spot. I haven’t heard anyone other than Treadwell’s name being mentioned as the 3rd receiver during mini camps/OTAs and in this first day of practice, and in reality, the 3rd receiver is likely going to be who ever fits the role needed in that given situation. 

The competition was flowing early as Vikings wide receivers and tight ends went up against defensive backs in individual drills Saturday.

Rookie cornerback Holton Hill had perhaps the strongest showing in that session, as he forced incompletions on both of his reps. The former Texas Longhorn broke on an in route by wide receiver Cayleb Jones to not allow a catch, and later tipped away a pass intended for wide receiver Korey Robertson.

Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer has made a habit of throwing his team into late-game situations in recent years.

He did so again Saturday, and cornerback Trae Waynes delivered immediately. The first-team offense had the ball facing fourth-and-3 on the defense’s 42-yard line with 46 seconds left. Quarterback Kirk Cousins looked for a short out pattern from wide receiver Stefon Diggs, but Waynes quickly broke toward the sideline and deflected the ball away. The second-team offense promptly ran out the clock after Waynes effectively sealed up a win.

https://www.vikings.com/news/3-observations-defensive-backs-highlight-1st-full-team-practice?sf194476137=1

Archived