LeBron James to the Lakers 4 Years/$154M

brownie man

2 minutes ago, Raves said:

But trading Beal for Love, just feels like Beal is the better player, though I really don't think that the Cavs improve much by trading Love for Beal.  Feels almost like a lateral move for the Cavs, though potentially a big improvement for the Wizards since they have Oubre who can step in as well.

Beal is the better player and that's why Washington would also move up 7 spots in the draft.

Just now, seminoles1 said:

Beal gives them someone who can actually create a shot against the Warriors, something Love can't do.  Beal is much more than just an outside shooter and it's insulting to simply call him that.

Ya but it puts the Cavs in a position where none of their bigs are threats to score.  So it would clog up the lane for Lebron which is where he is most dangerous. 

Just now, seminoles1 said:

Beal is the better player and that's why Washington would also move up 7 spots in the draft.

But it doesn't also make the Cavs that much better.  They are boosting a strong position at guard, though yes lacking someone that can create, but end up with a huge deficit with their bigs.  If the Cavs had even a reasonable replacement for Love like the Wizards do with Oubre for Beal, then I agree it's a good trade, but there isn't one.

I actually would really like to see Kevin Love end up with the Utah Jazz somehow.  The Jazz seem to embrace a traditional 2 big system, so Love can play the 4, and Gobert can make up for Love's weaknesses on defense.  Love can just concentrate on offense.  

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya but it puts the Cavs in a position where none of their bigs are threats to score.  So it would clog up the lane for Lebron which is where he is most dangerous. 

The lane is clogged for LeBron against the Warriors regardless of who is on the floor.  Beal gives them a second creator on the perimeter who can make them pay for leaving him and someone who can actually initiate offense for himself and others while LeBron sits.

3 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

The lane is clogged for LeBron against the Warriors regardless of who is on the floor.  Beal gives them a second creator on the perimeter who can make them pay for leaving him and someone who can actually initiate offense for himself and others while LeBron sits.

Two things.  

1. I don't think the Wizards would make this trade so the discussion is kind of pointless.  

2. I don't think it really fits the needs of the Cavs well.  

I disagree that a second playmaker is the Cavs biggest need.  IMO, they need to be better defensively, which Beal doesn't really do.  

3 minutes ago, Raves said:

But it doesn't also make the Cavs that much better.  They are boosting a strong position at guard, though yes lacking someone that can create, but end up with a huge deficit with their bigs.  If the Cavs had even a reasonable replacement for Love like the Wizards do with Oubre for Beal, then I agree it's a good trade, but there isn't one.

Just because Cleveland has a lot of guards doesn't mean it is a strong position.  It's laughable to say that guard is a strong position for Cleveland.  Guard play was their weakness all season long on offense.  Banish Clarkson and Smith to hell if need be.  It's not like other teams don't sit big contract players.

Beal makes them better.  A lot better?  No.  But he certainly moves the needle against Golden State, and that's what the whole point of the NBA is right now.

If Cleveland would be so desperate for a Love replacement, they can use the MLE to sign Ersan Ilyasova, Dewayne Dedmon, Nemanja Bjelica, or any other big who can hit a jumper.  Or they can use #15 and a contract to get Marvin Williams, DeMarre Carroll, or someone else.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Two things.  

1. I don't think the Wizards would make this trade so the discussion is kind of pointless.  

I disagree that a second playmaker is the Cavs biggest need.  IMO, they need to be better defensively, which Beal doesn't really do.  

They definitely need guys with the ability to come in and defend the type of offense Golden State runs. If you really look at the Finals, it wasn't Durant going off, or Steph going off that beat the Cavs. It was McGee, Livingston, Bell, etc scoring with ease. I think Golden State's 5-9 players shot something like 75% from the field for the series and scored 25-36 points each game. They were super efficient, and they defended well. The Cavs role players didn't defend well, and didn't score efficiently. That was the difference. While I think it will take getting a playmaker for LeBron to stay, I think the biggest improvement will be whoever they can bring in that can be as close to a lock down defender as possible

7 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Two things.  

I mean the trade will never happen obviously; I made it up.  But I think it's a good trade for both.  Washington and Cleveland need shakeups, and this allows them to do that without losing talent.  Washington gets the worse player, but that's why they'd get the swap of 1sts and move into the top 10 of the draft.

Yes, they need to be better defensively, but no available player is going to change that.  Beal is not a good defensive player, but he has more of a chance on switches against Golden State than Love does.

6 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I mean the trade will never happen obviously; I made it up.  But I think it's a good trade for both.  Washington and Cleveland need shakeups, and this allows them to do that without losing talent.  Washington gets the worse player, but that's why they'd get the swap of 1sts and move into the top 10 of the draft.

Yes, they need to be better defensively, but no available player is going to change that.  Beal is not a good defensive player, but he has more of a chance on switches against Golden State than Love does.

I dont think the differences in Love and Beal is worthy of moving from #8 to #15 in this draft.  I think after the first 8-9 players there is another dropoff in impact.  Still good players but at #8 you have players that are likely All-Stars while at 15 its a lot more uncertain.

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

That's because Lebron has been hyped up more than any player in history. People take it as a personal offense if someone even brings up the idea of someone passing the great Lebron James. Durant could average 35 a game for the next 5 years, win 7 straight rings, 7 striaght finals MVPs, 5 straight regular season MVPs and people would still say "nope, he just isnt lebron" 

I think it's more he already joined a dyanasty in the making thing...

I'm hoping LeBron actually sits out next season, rests his body, and allows a lot of scenarios to play out. Then he comes back well rested the following season and has his choice of teams. Cleveland gets better under the cap, young 6ers and Lakers get another year to develop, Kyrie potentially leaves Boston. GSW could look completely different.

Just take the year off man. You earned it. Make a few movies and focus on rest.

Archived