D line preview

Kiwibrown

D Line  

32 members have voted

1. 1. How are you feeling about this group?

• Could be a top unit in the NFL
    • Good, they are strong unit
    • Unsure, they have some question marks
    • I think they will be below average
    • Terrible unit
  2. 2. Assuming Garrett and Ogbah play to their potential who is the 3rd best DE?

3. 3. Coley vs Brantley; who plays more snaps in 2018?

5 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I think Marcel Frazier is a wild-card as the 3rd DE. I loved his potential out of Missouri and was shocked that he went undrafted. He's supremely talented but allegedly had some work ethic issues and didn't really flash anything against the run game. The run game thing is something that appears to be built into Missouri's defensive scheme though, as they've been running their DE's up the field and getting them in pass rush mode every down for years now. I think Frazier has a better chance of making the team than Orchard does.

Chris Smith is JAG. He's good enough to be on an NFL roster, but not good enough to play major minutes IMO.

Carl Nassib is still a project even though he's been in the league for a while. He's a better player than people give him credit for, but he wasn't ready for big minutes last season. His body was still developing. Hopefully this is the year he added the muscle to his frame that he so desperately needed, but I thought he would be more of a 3+ year project.

Hope you're right about Nassib. I remember he looked incredible to start off his rookie year, but then kind of hit the rookie wall. Then last year he was simply just okay. I still have faith in him that he can become a good rotational end.

7 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Chris Smith is JAG. He's good enough to be on an NFL roster, but not good enough to play major minutes IMO.

I disagree here.  He certainly hasn't arrived yet, but he has the athleticism to make an impact.  We gave him a pretty decent FA contract to prove it, too.  I guess I'm saying he's not likely to be JAG.  He'll either shine or flame out.  Probably not much in between.

11 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I love Nassib’s motor and length, but I haven’t seen any special skill that he can use to win one on one consistently.

I think he’ll need a big camp to make the team tbh.

He actually rips around the edge very well. It's rare to see a 6'7 white dude bend the edge, but Nassib is more than adept at doing that. He won with that in college and I've seen him do it in the NFL too.

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

He actually rips around the edge very well. It's rare to see a 6'7 white dude bend the edge, but Nassib is more than adept at doing that. He won with that in college and I've seen him do it in the NFL too.

He sucks at run defence. He seems like a meh type player, good physical numbers that haven’t translated that well. He certainly doesn’t have a power game to push through olinemen. 

Hopefully he turns the corner figuratively and literally this year. 

Smith/Ogbah

Garrett/Ogbah

Brantley/Larry

Nassib/Ogbah/Garrett

we have heaps of possible combinations up front in third down situations

6 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Nassib didn't bend the edge in college, he played the "wide 9" technique in college giving him the angle on o tackles. It's a gimmicky defense, that is very easily run on unless you have great dt and supporting lbs. I'd be shocked if Phillips doesnt deploy that technique with the rams this year(considering they have Donald and Suh) 

I think our pass rush front 6 (with a NCB as the 7th) looks like this:

LE: Emmanuel Ogbah

DT: Chad Thomas

DT: Larry Ogunjobi

RE: Myles Garrett

WLB: Mychal Kendricks

MLB: Christian Kirksey

Or we could move Ogbah where Ogunjobi is and let Collins rush the passer with Garrett.

On 7/7/2018 at 11:23 AM, BleedTheClock said:

I think our pass rush front 6 (with a NCB as the 7th) looks like this:

LE: Emmanuel Ogbah

DT: Chad Thomas

DT: Larry Ogunjobi

RE: Myles Garrett

WLB: Mychal Kendricks

MLB: Christian Kirksey

Or we could move Ogbah where Ogunjobi is and let Collins rush the passer with Garrett.

I like your front four, I just don't see any of our lbs taking pass rush/passing down snaps from Collins (when healthy). Is see a nickel package will Collins and schobert(dude made the pb as a sophomore, but he seems looked over on this forum for some reason). 

Also I don't see Collins lining up as a de, Collins is an up the middle type Blitzer. If any lb would lineup at De in a sub package that would be Kendricks imo or Burgess(if he makes the 53) 

1 hour ago, Keylargobrownie said:

I like your front four, I just don't see any of our lbs taking pass rush/passing down snaps from Collins (when healthy). Is see a nickel package will Collins and schobert(dude made the pb as a sophomore, but he seems looked over on this forum for some reason). 

Also I don't see Collins lining up as a de, Collins is an up the middle type Blitzer. If any lb would lineup at De in a sub package that would be Kendricks imo or Burgess(if he makes the 53) 

What????

Schobert is straight up bad in coverage. I like Schobert, but he's not an impact player. He was voted in to the pro bowl based on statistics, which were extremely skewed based on the way we ran our defense. Schobert is an average starter that is literally useless in coverage. Why would he be on the field on passing downs?

And Kendricks & Burgess coming off the edge? What? Those dudes are undersized for linebackers, let alone DE's.

On 7/6/2018 at 12:06 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I love Nassib’s motor and length, but I haven’t seen any special skill that he can use to win one on one consistently.

I think he’ll need a big camp to make the team tbh.

And that's the thing...I don't feel Nassib has been taught to use his physical skills properly...using his length to create angles and leverage. Using Leverage to turn speed/Quickness to power.

Its like playing the old Street Fighter game..if you used Dhalsim, you couldn't try and use him like Blanka...you gotta play to his strengths....and I think they unlock that this year. A huge thing is Clyde Simmons.....IMO he's one of the top 3-5 Dline coaches in the league.......something tells me we will either have to promote him to DC next year (with Greg Williams taking Asst. HC Def) or we WILL LOOSE him a D Coordinator. IF Clyde cant get it outta Nassib....its not in there for an NFL level.

21 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

What????

Schobert is straight up bad in coverage. I like Schobert, but he's not an impact player. He was voted in to the pro bowl based on statistics, which were extremely skewed based on the way we ran our defense. Schobert is an average starter that is literally useless in coverage. Why would he be on the field on passing downs?

And Kendricks & Burgess coming off the edge? What? Those dudes are undersized for linebackers, let alone DE's.

I agree with your assessment of schobert, but I can make the same argument with kirksey. Neither guy makes splash plays.

As far as Burgess and Kendricks being undersized LBS, I totally agree, but that only strengthens my point. The point of a "NASCAR" package is using speed and athleticism to beat the oline. 

1 hour ago, Keylargobrownie said:

I agree with your assessment of schobert, but I can make the same argument with kirksey. Neither guy makes splash plays.

As far as Burgess and Kendricks being undersized LBS, I totally agree, but that only strengthens my point. The point of a "NASCAR" package is using speed and athleticism to beat the oline. 

JBJ led LB's in scks fo the Browns last year with 4. interesting point bout him being n effective pass rusher. I think he could be a starter in the league. He is certinly an excellent 5th LB. 

Archived