Training Camp 2018 discussion

Danand

4 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I love how every single tweet by Jamison Hensley recently is basically "The Ravens are healthier than they've ever been at any point in camp!". Totally not going to jinx us. Nope.

Injuries are how beat writers generate clicks this time of year. 

14 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

He's an RFA. We'll protect him with a high draft pick. Not going to lose him this off-season.

I'd be pretty upset if we lost a key piece of our defensive line after this season. We have control over pretty much everyone, and Pierce is a key cog in that line. No way we should lose him.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'd be pretty upset if we lost a key piece of our defensive line after this season. We have control over pretty much everyone, and Pierce is a key cog in that line. No way we should lose him.

I forgot how RFA works, but I don't want to have two big contracts to NTs.

I'm excited that our DI guys get to go against Quenton Nelson during practices this week and a game on Monday.

Also I'm happy we'll finally see the team against some 1st stringers. It seems like we've already played 8 preseason games and none against starters. We all remember how flat the team was against the Colts last year, after supposedly turner the corner late in the season. So this game should be an early barometer for just how much growth has taken place. 

Of the endless backup QBs we faced last season I thought Jacoby Brissett was the best. Which maybe isn't saying much but he should prove a sterner test than some of the 2nd string QBs we've seen in these early games.  

3 hours ago, M.10.E said:

I forgot how RFA works, but I don't want to have two big contracts to NTs.

You tender them at a particular draft pick compensation.  Each compensation rank comes with a particular 1 year contract amount

Teams have four different tender options they can place on their restricted free agent that usually keeps those players from leaving.

• First-round tender: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal and will receive a first-round selection if it opts not to match the deal.
  • Second-round tender: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal and will receive a second-round selection if it opts not to match the deal.
  • Original-round tender: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal and will receive a selection equal to the round the player was originally selected in if it opts not to match the deal.
  • Right of first refusal: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal. The team will not receive any compensation if it opts not to match another deal.

In 2018, these were the contract amounts

• First-round tenders are valued at $4.149 million in 2018.
  • Second-round tenders are $2.914 million.
  • Original-round and low-level tenders are $1.907 million.

The tender amount increases each year by the same rate of increase as the NFL salary cap, at a minimum of five percent and a maximum of 10 percent.

Pierce being an UDFA, the bottom two would result in no compensation.  I'd imagine that he'd get a 2nd round tender and the $3m odd contract that it comes with next year

RG3 and Josh are going to be hard pressed for snaps going forward. We're 24 days away from the regular season and there's no reason for them to see significant time. Flacco will likely play a full quarter + in this next game, then a full half + in the third. Jackson should eat up the leftover snaps in both games, then could possibly start the entire 4th preseason game. It's going to be a long long season and Lamar needs all the experience he can get. 

I want to see a big step forward from Jackson in the Indy game. LJ8 showcase, it's coming. 2 Passing TDs, 2 Rushing TDs. 

I still feel the RGIII roster spot will very much be an indication of what they want to do with Flacco.

If we keep RGIII he would be THE perfect back-up to Lamar Jackson OR be able to be a bridge quarterback next year. Keeping RGIII (by extending him) would give us a perfect combo of quarterbacks who are very much the same for a number of years. Keeping RGIII would therefore be an indication that we are moving away from Flacco already by next year - doesn't matter if he is good or bad this year.

If Flacco plays well we could hope a team would trade for him, looking at him as a 2-3 year QB who has a high cap hit his first year untill i then is more manageable. If he plays like his 2017 season, he would most likely be cut if no one wants to trade for him.

If RGIII is let go and signs with another team it would make more sense to keep Flacco another year

That was a lot of IF's.

Also, I actually care very little about how Lamar Jackson performs the rest of pre season. Its the long game with him. Watching Lamar Jackson and watching Mayfield, Rosen and Darnold pretty much told me where they are as quarterbacks which supports what I saw in the draft process.

Josh Allen, he could/should start immediately because that guys style is being hot and cold. Don't think it will change much.

53 minutes ago, Danand said:

Keeping RGIII (by extending him) would give us a perfect combo of quarterbacks who are very much the same for a number of years.

RG3 is like all kinda young back up QBs. He wants to start for a team and he wants to be taken care of financially. Neither desire will be met with our team. We are just the club who gave him a shot. It worked out, looks like he something left in the tank. All that means though is we can keep him for 1 year on a penny contract, trade him, or release him. He isn't going to accept an extension from us knowing there is a market out there for him. 

I really feel this "perfect backup" narrative has been taken too far. Yes he's a QB with mobility, same as Lamar Jackson, but the offense is never going to be so specialized that such a level of mobility is a necessity. Besides, Lamar Jackson isn't a proven player. He's a high end project/prospect. You don't lock in a back up for an unknown. We hope Jackson is the future, but we don't know it. He's the perfect backup, because of his upside and potential. The backup to our Franchise QB, who's now drowning in question marks. However, if Flacco does prove he's done this year, you know what we're going to do? Draft another QB. The one thing the stupid Redskins organization did right was double down and take Cousins later on in the draft. You pick young QBs in the draft until you hit on one, that's just how it works. If Flacco is gone, it will be another prospect backing up Lamar not RG3. 

The only reason to even consider keeping RG3 would be if the organization truly believed we couldn't win with Lamar Jackson. Which is something I don't anticipate happening. Hopefully someone will offer us a pick for Griffin though, so we don't have to just cut him. We can't carry 3 QBs, too much talent elsewhere on the roster that could actually help us down the road. 

6 hours ago, DreamKid said:

RG3 is like all kinda young back up QBs. He wants to start for a team and he wants to be taken care of financially. Neither desire will be met with our team. We are just the club who gave him a shot. It worked out, looks like he something left in the tank. All that means though is we can keep him for 1 year on a penny contract, trade him, or release him. He isn't going to accept an extension from us knowing there is a market out there for him. 

I really feel this "perfect backup" narrative has been taken too far. Yes he's a QB with mobility, same as Lamar Jackson, but the offense is never going to be so specialized that such a level of mobility is a necessity. Besides, Lamar Jackson isn't a proven player. He's a high end project/prospect. You don't lock in a back up for an unknown. We hope Jackson is the future, but we don't know it. He's the perfect backup, because of his upside and potential. The backup to our Franchise QB, who's now drowning in question marks. However, if Flacco does prove he's done this year, you know what we're going to do? Draft another QB. The one thing the stupid Redskins organization did right was double down and take Cousins later on in the draft. You pick young QBs in the draft until you hit on one, that's just how it works. If Flacco is gone, it will be another prospect backing up Lamar not RG3. 

The only reason to even consider keeping RG3 would be if the organization truly believed we couldn't win with Lamar Jackson. Which is something I don't anticipate happening. Hopefully someone will offer us a pick for Griffin though, so we don't have to just cut him. We can't carry 3 QBs, too much talent elsewhere on the roster that could actually help us down the road. 

No offense, but this is completely absurd, assuming some other team doesn't trade for RGIII. When Flacco was in his early years did we have a prospect backing him up, or a veteran? When Russell Wilson was in his early years, did he have a veteran backing him up or a prospect? It's a proven NFL tradition that your young starting QB has a veteran backup to help him along the way - not a prospect. What the Redskins did with Cousins and RGIII is an exception to the rule, and shouldn't look to be mimicked by teams going forward.

I do hope a team offers us a pick for Griffin, but if that happens, I'd be pretty confident that when we do move to Lamar Jackson that we'd still fill our backup slot with a veteran instead of a prospect.

And we absolutely can carry 3 QB's on the roster this year, especially given our current depth at many positions and considering we have a two-way player.

Archived