Training Camp 2018 discussion

Danand

47 minutes ago, YaddaHolla said:

hey guys

dont mean to derail your training camp thread but i just watched all of Lamar Jackson's snaps in the preseason and he looks pretty good. had a few Vick-esque plays vs MIA.

what are the odds of him starting during the season? Would it take a Flacco injury or would bad play get him slotted into the QB1 job. 

thanks boys

Depending on who you ask in here, but I believe it will take either an injury to Flacco OR that the Ravens quickly are mathematically out of the playoff hunt and Flacco has played worse than ever before.

By all accounts it seems the coaching staff and front office is intent on letting Lamar Jackson sit at least a year.

Now, with how he performed against Miami, many including me are more comfortable carrying 2 quarterbacks instead of 3 as that game made him seem much more ready than the previous two games.

he is in no way ready to start and anybody who tells himself he is, after a half of decent play against the Dolphins backups should question themselfes if those were the kind of calibres he'd have to face in a regular season start. or, vice versa, if he'd look similar decent against the starting Ds of say Panthers or Falcons, or any AFC North team for that matter.

it's in everybodys best interest to have him sit and learn for at least the 18/19 season.

I didn't need to see the Dolphins game or any preseason game to know that LJ8 would be viable as a QB in year 1. Running QBs consistently are able to lead an effective offense much sooner than strictly pocket QBs.

But, when he plays is entirely dependent on Flacco. It could be a few years or a few weeks. They'll play the most effective QB and I expect that to be Flacco certainly for this year and probably more.

1 hour ago, coordinator0 said:

What? A team doesn't have to bulk up an edge rusher for him to be effective? You mean playing at his optimal weight is actually a good thing?

Huh. Never would have known given what we've seen in Baltimore for the past decade. 

Wait, what is your contention here (re: the last decade)?  I would like to better understand.

Suggs has held down one spot quite well and has a DPotY to show for it.  Judon has done well so far.  Doom was a success and I don't remember him being asked to bulk up.  Kruger was considered a tweener and they wanted him to play more of a DL (thus he bulked up), before slimming back down to play edge.  McPhee played a hybrid edge/interior rusher.

40 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Wait, what is your contention here (re: the last decade)?  I would like to better understand.

Suggs has held down one spot quite well and has a DPotY to show for it.  Judon has done well so far.  Doom was a success and I don't remember him being asked to bulk up.  Kruger was considered a tweener and they wanted him to play more of a DL (thus he bulked up), before slimming back down to play edge.  McPhee played a hybrid edge/interior rusher.

We never really coveted quicker, leaner edge guys (with Sergio Kindle being an exception). For years we drafted guys like John Simon, Courtney Upshaw, JJ, Judon, Za'Darius Smith, Pernell McPhee, etc. to be "edge defenders" and we never relied on quicker guys to get to the QB.

I think it's just refreshing to see us finally utilizing some edge speed like the rest of the NFL has been doing for years now.

Archived