Who makes the team? Who doesn't?

49erurtaza

With 10 days till training camp would like to start discussion on players who might not make the team or players who are UDFA or late round picks who will make it.

One player who I don't think any of us will be surprised who more then likely gets traded for a late round pick is Joshua Garnett. He really doesn't fit even tho he changed his body and we have been hearing good reports. 

One player who I think will make the team or atless PS is Tarvarus McFadden. He's a big lanky corner who isn't really fast but I think will show he can play during preseason.

As for which late round guys or UDFAs from either this draft or last year's draft that I expect to make it are Tyus Powell, and either Chancellor James or Terrell Williams. I'm not including guys like Bourne, Brieda, etc.

As for a surprise cut, I think either of Coyle or Toomer miss out. Though with Foster's suspension, they may be on it for the initial 53 man roster. Garnett may not make it if Person beats him out. Darrell Williams Jr may have a hard time making it this year. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

As for which late round guys or UDFAs from either this draft or last year's draft that I expect to make it are Tyus Powell, and either Chancellor James or Terrell Williams. I'm not including guys like Bourne, Brieda, etc.

As for a surprise cut, I think either of Coyle or Toomer miss out. Though with Foster's suspension, they may be on it for the initial 53 man roster. Garnett may not make it if Person beats him out. Darrell Williams Jr may have a hard time making it this year. 

I'm really interested to see the competition between Coyle and Toomer play out. I'm personally leaning toward Toomer right now because of ability, but I know the team seems to love Coyle.

Yep, some of the beat writers are predicting Toomer gets the starting gig during the time Foster is out. But then they really do seem to like Coyle a lot so it will be interesting to see how that battle plays out. You have to think Smith/Foster/Warner are locks. And you aren't going to have more than four WLB or MLB on the team. 

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yep, some of the beat writers are predicting Toomer gets the starting gig during the time Foster is out. But then they really do seem to like Coyle a lot so it will be interesting to see how that battle plays out. You have to think Smith/Foster/Warner are locks. And you aren't going to have more than four WLB or MLB on the team. 

I agree. I see our depth chart playing out like this:

Nickle 

MIKE: Warner / Toomer

WILL: Foster / Smith

Base

SAM: Harold / Pita T

This leaves Coyle, Lee, Nzoacha, and Watson battling for one, maybe two spots on the roster. 

52 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I agree. I see our depth chart playing out like this:

Nickle 

Base

SAM: Harold / Pita T

This leaves Coyle, Lee, Nzoacha, and Watson battling for one, maybe two spots on the roster. 

I really can't believe Harold is doing to make it through his entire rookie contact. It's incredible

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I really can't believe Harold is doing to make it through his entire rookie contact. It's incredible

Yeah, I would agree with that. He really hasn't done much, but there seems to be a lot pass rushing potential there. I've read during the draft season that the coaching staff thinks he could provide a boost to the outside pass rushing. There isn't much evidence to support that, but his role and position are getting more insignificant as each year passes. Maybe Attaochu or Pita T takes snaps away from him.

On July 16, 2018 at 12:19 PM, NinerNation21 said:

Yeah, I would agree with that. He really hasn't done much, but there seems to be a lot pass rushing potential there. I've read during the draft season that the coaching staff thinks he could provide a boost to the outside pass rushing. There isn't much evidence to support that, but his role and position are getting more insignificant as each year passes. Maybe Attaochu or Pita T takes snaps away from him.

I certainly would not mind. I had high hopes when he was initially drafted, but not getting how he has lasted as long as he has with as little impact he has made. Maybe it's the two first names?! Just throwing that out there. O.o

Definitely hoping Atta or Pita (or both!) step up and get our staff's attention.

Eli Harold is my hero. The dude has legitimately failed upward. in a profession where that's nearly impossible. And i'm not talking about politics around draft position. Dude has survived multiple regimes, has never shown anything, and became a starter and is probably going to be a starter again. It's amazing...He's the cockroach of our team (and I mean that in the best way possible). 

Archived